Unofficial Preview OFFICIAL: Luke Shuey Brownlow Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone really surprised? Shuey has never polled in a way that reflects his actual impact. Conversely priddis and gaff have always polled more than expected.

Not sure why anyone thought it would change this year and Shuey would go close to placing

Clearly we're all surprised. Shuey has a great season and has massive impact for the team.

To come out after the fact and say "Not sure why anyone thought it would change this year and Shuey would go close to placing" reeks of arrogance born from hindsight.

Now if you'd said prior to the count that exact same thing, I'll apologise & say well done on a good call.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Luke Shuey

That went well!

Round by round voting...

Round....Our Votes....Brownlow
Total......21...................10

I think the Brownlow votes that Shuey got correlated very well with our votes .Now the problem is when we voted for Shuey we didn't allow for the opposition players best players as well in a tighter 3-2-1 format.

Maybe next year we could add a total game 3-2-1 votes including opposition players and try to vote with no bias ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Clearly we're all surprised. Shuey has a great season and has massive impact for the team.

To come out after the fact and say "Not sure why anyone thought it would change this year and Shuey would go close to placing" reeks of arrogance born from hindsight.

Now if you'd said prior to the count that exact same thing, I'll apologise & say well done on a good call.
I did say something similar weeks ago. I'm not sure where, and don't really have the inclination to go digging for it, but just look at the their voting history.

Edit: so did go looking, while didn't say explicity he wouldn't poll great, didn't point out that he's never been a poller.

Shuey hasn't cracked double figures in Brownlow votes since 2012. When he had 11, 2011 he had his only other season in double figures with 12.

While he's definitely been better this year his stats aren't that much better, so will be very interesting if he polls the votes.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the Brownlow votes that Shuey got correlated very well with our votes .Now the problem is when we voted for Shuey we didn't allow for the opposition players best players as well in a tighter 3-2-1 format.

Maybe next year we could add a total game 3-2-1 votes including opposition players and try to vote with no bias ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I made allowances in our votes for the opposition players.

I did say something similar weeks ago. I'm not sure where, and don't really have the inclination to go digging for it, but just look at the their voting history.

Edit: so did go looking, while didn't say explicity he wouldn't poll great, didn't point out that he's never been a poller.

Fair enough then!

Jun 14, 2012
#returnofthewings
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Wildcats, Warriors
It should be just called the midfielders medal from now on, how does a player like McGovern get bugger all votes, and gets out polled by Yeo-Lecca and even Priddis, pretty sure McGovern was better than all of them this year.
Absolutely this.

How is it that JK kicked 80 odd goals for the year and wins consecutive colemans and gets no where close to the top 10?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
The brownlows a crap medal, until they include all positions on the field it will continue to be so.
But just like the GF at the G, it wont change unfortunately....but IF it did, what would be the best format...3 or 4 neutrals voting on all games?

Jun 14, 2012
#returnofthewings
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Wildcats, Warriors
The brownlows a crap medal, until they include all positions on the field it will continue to be so.
But just like the GF at the G, it wont change unfortunately....but IF it did, what would be the best format...3 or 4 neutrals voting on all games?
I don't know what the best way forward is, but I am not sure that the umps are the best to adjudicate it.

Surely they have enough on their plate, with well, umpiring the game...

I don't think the media should do it, as they are way to bias (Darcey anyone)

Officials from the AFL? Um no thanks

Maybe 10 ransoms in the crowd :p

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
I don't know what the best way forward is, but I am not sure that the umps are the best to adjudicate it.

Surely they have enough on their plate, with well, umpiring the game...

I don't think the media should do it, as they are way to bias (Darcey anyone)

Officials from the AFL? Um no thanks

Maybe 10 ransoms in the crowd :p
The likes of Sheedy, Malthouse, both seem to be able to look at the individual rather than the team.

Natho

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
JK was asked by Andrew Welsh on the red carpet If you thought Priddis would poll well again this year.
JK said he reckons Shuey was a chance and would finish 2nd behind Dangerfield.
JK you were wrong.
What a ripper bloke old jk. I hope he has a massive hangover today

We polled 83 votes overall which is pretty good.
Yeah it was. I was actually surprised to see we got that many because during the count there were a couple of games which we lost by not much and had no votes and a couple of games we won comfortably where an opposition player got top votes

Anyway, total votes per team :

105 - Sydney (1st - 17 wins)
92 - GWS (4th - 16 wins)
87 - Adelaide (5th - 16 wins)
84 - Geelong (2nd - 17 wins)

83 - West Coast (6th - 16 wins)
81 - Bulldogs (7th - 15 wins)
76 - St Kilda (9th - 12 wins)
73 - Hawthorn (3rd - 17 wins)

71 - Melbourne (11th - 10 wins)
66 - Collingwood (12th - 9 wins)
64 - Port Adelaide (10th - 10 wins)
63 - North Melbourne (8th - 12 wins)

52 - Richmond (13th - 8 wins)
45 - Carlton (14th - 7 wins)
45 - Gold Coast (15th - 6 wins)
45 - Fremantle (16th - 4 wins)

36 - Essendon (18th - 3 wins)
20 - Brisbane (17th - 3 wins)

Based on that we probably got our fair share.

Surprising that Sydney got so much more than anybody else - 32 more votes than Hawthorn who won the same number of games but polled really badly.

North also didn't poll very well and Brisbane did spectacularly badly

Top 10 all midfielders, a bit sick of it tbh.
Why?

It's commonly accepted that games are won in the midfield - it's the most important part of the ground. Follows that the best players in that area dominate the votes

Back