OFFICIAL: Nathan Vardy traded to West Coast for pick 72

Should we try and keep Vardy at the cats

• Yes

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 72.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to ask themselves what they would pay for vardy.
Would anyone here seriously offer any higher than pick 50?

Suggesting whe is just ridiculous.

Hrovat and honeychurch are good players but they are one position mids who wouldnt get games here just like lang has struggled to and hs struggles. We need defensive end options, if vardy goes there i would be trying to work someone like webb into a trade not that i expect the dogs would do that.

No way steele leaves gws for more gametime to come to a midfield as strong as ours.

A pick around 40ish is the best we will get not sure i could stomach him in hawks colours though.

Vardy is probably the only pack crasher we have left (we have coached that out of Hawkins and Walker [before he left]). Stanley doesn't jump. Smith occasionally.

Vardy would suit Hawthorn. They just want their KPF to get the ball to the ground for their mosquito fleet to work with. Vardy can get high into packs - but doesn't often mark the ball. This is a disadvantage in nearly every other team. Would have to be an upgrade on Shoenmakers (who is also coming off injury)

On the bold bit -we just have to back our boys!

The dogs and GWS have good depth so we might be able to grab someone from them. Maybe Hrovat from the dogs or WHE from GWS? Hrovat would be a fair trade with neither guy best 22. With WHE we could probably chuck in our 4th and 5th rounder to get them some extra points to make up the difference.
Hahahaha this is funny

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Vardy is probably the only pack crasher we have left (we have coached that out of Hawkins and Walker [before he left]). Stanley doesn't jump. Smith occasionally.

Vardy would suit Hawthorn. They just want their KPF to get the ball to the ground for their mosquito fleet to work with. Vardy can get high into packs - but doesn't often mark the ball. This is a disadvantage in nearly every other team. Would have to be an upgrade on Shoenmakers (who is also coming off injury)

No he wouldn't. He's not skilful enough, and he doesn't lead enough.

I haven't rated him based on what he's shown when he's made the step up to AFL, but we need depth players, and he at least has a bit of youth on his side. If we got rid of him we'd just have to look for a similar type.

His lack of AFL time is due to form, and after giving him contracts for 7 years despite hardly being available, I'm not sure there are massive grounds to bend over backwards to do "the right thing by the lad", but we will anyway.

If he was playing brilliantly in the VFL, we would find a way to bring him in the seniors.

Precisely. There is zero ground. They don't owe him anything. Plus of course the fact he's not a "lad", he's 25. In football terms he's middle-aged.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is just all manager talk to drive up interest. It happens to a few players every year. I can't see the Dogs having a crack unless they wanted him to play ruck - where he is a tad short and maybe fragile. Even down forward Cloke is a better option short term.

GWS well they would only be interested in Lobbe goes and Vardy is a massive downgrade. I'm not sure that there wouldn't be better options out there especially with the quality of young talls on their list.

I then look at Hawthorn and go I don't think they would have a crack either. They have McEvoy etc in the ruck and I think style wise Vardy is very different. Down forward, I don't know if Vardy works with Bruest, Gunston etc. He might be a back up to play the Roughead role but they should have been planning for that regardless of whether he was sick or not as he is getting on.

Not sure, there is really much interest in Vardy. He is 25, injury prone and has kicked 7 goals in 12 games in the VFL. I personally think he needs time at AFL level (i.e. you've got a month) but I assume the club knows what they are doing. There are a few players every year who have articles like this written about them to be delisted and not picked up.

I would like to keep him as a back up personally but I'm often wrong about players.

Precisely. There is zero ground. They don't owe him anything. Plus of course the fact he's not a "lad", he's 25. In football terms he's middle-aged.
I think clubs will start to be far more anti-social with more free movement of players. You don't want your players poached by another team in contention so I think that some clubs (i.e. possibly Sydney with Mitchell) will play hard ball and say you can go to Victoria BUT not to a competitor. Free Agency will make teams more brutal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to ask themselves what they would pay for vardy.
Would anyone here seriously offer any higher than pick 50?

Suggesting whe is just ridiculous.

Its not because they will need to fire sale guys for cap space to bring anyone in and whe is on good money. Why do you think they traded guys to carlton for cheap last year?

I agree getting much for vardy from other clubs is unlikely but gws have different circumstances.

I wouldn't be sad if Vardy, a long with Cowan, GHS & Kerstan weren't with us next year. I've heard rumours about all 4... Maybe we'll make up for trading out of the draft by recouping some picks for our second stringers?

I reckon Kersten and Cowan have come on this year. I think both are worth persisting with.

I reckon Kersten and Cowan have come on this year. I think both are worth persisting with.
Yeah you're probably right, especially with Cowan as his issues have mostly been injury related. He has shown over the past month that right now he isn't a game-breaker, but he can certainly play a role.

I'm still unsure about Kersten though, he can take a mark and kicks well but he just seems to go missing for long stretches of games.

I'd be worried if I supported a club that would be seriously interested in seeking out Vardy based on his current form and history of injuries.

Or is the talent pool spread over 18 clubs that thin?

I believe it is. That's why I laugh whenever I read the current Hawthorn unit is the best of all time. I could name at least six sides from the eras I have witnessed that would be better.

Its not because they will need to fire sale guys for cap space to bring anyone in and whe is on good money. Why do you think they traded guys to carlton for cheap last year?

I agree getting much for vardy from other clubs is unlikely but gws have different circumstances.
I know about the salary issues with GWS.

If they want to do a fire sale we'll get out bid.
And why on earth would they need vardy?

Come on mate. It's manager driven bs.

Yeah you're probably right, especially with Cowan as his issues have mostly been injury related. He has shown over the past month that right now he isn't a game-breaker, but he can certainly play a role.

I'm still unsure about Kersten though, he can take a mark and kicks well but he just seems to go missing for long stretches of games.

I didn't like the way he took his eye off the ball against Richmond last week but I think he can and will improve. I was dead set against him earlier in the year but he started to show something after a shaky start. Some of Cowan's delivery has been quite good at times and this is an area where we quite often fall short. Not talking about hacks out of the back end of the square but when free he uses the ball effectively which you can't always (but always should) count on.

To me a reason why he's typically a low possession winner. He doesn't get a ton of the ball and he doesn't naturally present up the ground. I can't see the way Hawthorn move the ball that kind of player being essential to them.
I think vardy presents well.
(Contradiction coming) But he hits the ball like its a rock.

I know about the salary issues with GWS.

If they want to do a fire sale we'll get out bid.
And why on earth would they need vardy?

Come on mate. It's manager driven bs.

I agree i have no idea why they would want vardy dont think they need him (dogs on the other hand might). All i was saying was IF they did they would try to fire sale us a player in the swap rather than trade a pick for him.

No he wouldn't. He's not skilful enough, and he doesn't lead enough.

One of the good things about his game is he does lead and jump. He just drops the marks too much.

Back