Analysis Official Nick Suban Holding The Ball Watch 2017

Nick Suban?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As it stands we have 7 spots to fill if we go with the same 39/5 roster. That includes Suban who hasn’t been delisted.

If Suban is delisted then our next pick is 83. I’d prefer to sign Suban for 12 months and also look at the option of a delisted FA (Mullett, Hartung, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Boekhorst). That way we are batting no deeper than 71.
We went with 38 6 for last season. Our rookies were Grey, Deluca, Nyhuis, Duman, Ubergang and Strnadica

We lost 2 players that we weren't expected to lose in Crozier and Weller, Suban should be safe thanks to that.
Yeah giving 41 or whatever it was to GC with Weller was actually quite painful despite their overs.
There is no point on keeping C graders on your list when you are rebuilding.

Suban should both go. D Pearce as well, if you we could negotiate an out of his contract.

Delist him an take a risk on another player.
Normally I would agree but odds are Suban is better than pick 83. I don't mind either way to be honest. I won't be burning Cockburn down if we retain him for 1 year.
As it stands we have 7 spots to fill if we go with the same 39/5 roster. That includes Suban who hasn’t been delisted.

If Suban is delisted then our next pick is 83. I’d prefer to sign Suban for 12 months and also look at the option of a delisted FA (Mullett, Hartung, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Boekhorst). That way we are batting no deeper than 71.

We went with 38 6 for last season. Our rookies were Grey, Deluca, Nyhuis, Duman, Ubergang and Strnadica
Reckon we will almost certainly go 38/6 given our lack of mid range picks. Unless of course someone we rate is still there at 70 (which will probably end up being 55 after other clubs pass).

You still need some depth players you can rely on to play a role if there are injuries. Can't just turnover all your depth with u18s or you'll become a basket case like a bunch of AFL clubs have been in recent years.
I agree, but Freo situation are very different , if Freo finish 11 next year and improve their ladder position ,club will be. A bit more reluctant to exchange future pick with freo , with Croz and Balic gone who you think going to trade out if nobody want sutty and Sheriden .Basket case is going to happen either next year or the following year ,keeping suban only delay the bleed not stop it.

We got pick 83 in that Crozier trade which makes me think we intend to use it...
I doubt it. It was in case we gave up some more picks in the 4th round. We only lost 57 in the fourth round so that pick is our 8th in line. I think we will draft 6.

From my evaluation out 6th pick will potentially drop to 69 before Academy bids.

For mine Suban or delisted free agent (Schoenfeld, Ramsey, Mullett or Hartung) for that spot. Suban is probably as Smart a choice as any of those.

So with a 38/6 roster we will have 6 - 7 ND picks and 3 rookie picks.

Suban to stay for depth and 2 mentor the peel young on how to hatch a football
I think this is the most likely outcome. We might see if a younger option as a DFA becomes available like a Schoenfeld and if not welcome back Suban.

Meima - I know you love your WAFL but I have more confidence in Hackdorn’s hot rumour darts than the success of ND picks >late 60’s. We might get one or two value selections between 60-70 but after 70 is very low odds in a draft that isn’t associated with depth. There is a reason we pushed so heavily for the front end. I don’t remember the last time we used 6 selections. Maybe 2008 but even then I think it was 5. Otherwise we are left with the likes of Toby Stibling and Benet Copping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will miss the loveable rouge. Always flew the flag for the team. Helped Fyfe win the Brownlow. Has had a couple of ripper goals and kicks.

Good luck out there Suban.

Back