Analysis Official Nick Suban Holding The Ball Watch 2017

Nick Suban?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the player's on the delist/retire/trade list on the BF forum I hope he's the one that stays. Didn't have a bad year contrary to what people think. IMO he's signing for two years, which will take him to 29/30 and then we'll likely not offer him an extension beyond that. We need midfield depth and he offers a big body to provide blocks in the contest.

He's that frustrating player that just does enough good stuff to stay, but burns the ball enough (and gets caught HTB regularly enough) that you just want to slap him.

So it looks like my buddy Subes is the last piece of the puzzle for our pre-draft list management.

We have had 11 players exit this season, and have had 2 arrivals. Assuming we stick with a 38/6 list structure, and promote Grey permanently to the senior list - that means we'll be taking 6 in the National Draft and 3 in the Rookie Draft.

The question is - do we re-sign Suban for a season as depth and leadership at Peel, or do we delist him and take a seventh player in the National Draft (Pick #83)?

Nick Suban or Pick 83?

EDIT: Nyhuis to remain on rookie list.

Last edited:
So it looks like my buddy Subes is the last piece of the puzzle for our pre-draft list management.

We have had 11 players exit this season, and have had 2 arrivals. Assuming we stick with a 38/6 list structure, and promote Nyhuis and Grey permanently to the senior list - that means we'll be taking 5 in the National Draft and 4 in the Rookie Draft.

The question is - do we re-sign Suban for a season as depth and leadership at Peel, or do we delist him and take a sixth player in the National Draft (Pick #79)?

Nick Suban or Pick 79?
Can we use 79 on Duman . I like Suban but surely winning WAFL is not Freo priority next season .

We have had 11 players exit this season, and have had 2 arrivals. Assuming we stick with a 38/6 list structure, and promote Nyhuis and Grey permanently to the senior list - that means we'll be taking 5 in the National Draft and 4 in the Rookie Draft.

The question is - do we re-sign Suban for a season as depth and leadership at Peel, or do we delist him and take a sixth player in the National Draft (Pick #79)?

Nick Suban or Pick 79?
Grey gets an upgrade, Nyhuis apparently another year on the rookie list.

I't still rather drop Subes and go in with 79 or whatever it is. a lot of teams will have passed before then so it'd be a considerably lower pick as well. Hell, a few teams still wouldn't have had their 1st pick yet, lol.

Grey gets an upgrade, Nyhuis apparently another year on the rookie list.

I't still rather drop Subes and go in with 79 or whatever it is. a lot of teams will have passed before then so it'd be a considerably lower pick as well. Hell, a few teams still wouldn't have had their 1st pick yet, lol.
If that's the case, then the choice is Suban or Pick 83.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, I can see Suban staying for a year or two. Thing is... Would you rather an inexperienced rookie-level player or an experienced hard-bodied AFL player (Suban)?

Of course, we could also use that spot for a delisted free agent.

Yeh, I can see Suban staying for a year or two. Thing is... Would you rather an inexperienced rookie-level player or an experienced hard-bodied AFL player (Suban)?

Of course, we could also use that spot for a delisted free agent.
with our small list, and how many long term injuries, and young players we have, I'd go the experienced hard-bodied AFL player.

We have had 11 players exit this season, and have had 2 arrivals. Assuming we stick with a 38/6 list structure, and promote Grey permanently to the senior list - that means we'll be taking 6 in the National Draft and 3 in the Rookie Draft.

The question is - do we re-sign Suban for a season as depth and leadership at Peel, or do we delist him and take a seventh player in the National Draft (Pick #83)?

Nick Suban or Pick 83?

EDIT: Nyhuis to remain on rookie list.

Frankly I would be trying to convince D Pearce to "retire" and keep Subes for one more.

Suban should stay. Possession-wise he's played his best AFL games ever this season, and not racking up enough possies was alwaus his biggest bugbear with me.

The guy is getting better and smarter as he gets older, much like Tabs.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we may not have seen Suban's best football yet.

I hope we keep Nick. At worst he plays at Peel as depth and looks after the young guys. At best he has a big pre-season and provides competition for the young guys for a spot in the best 22.

No walk up starts on potential - earn your place in the seniors. I know Danyle Pearce is contracted, but I'd but much rather have Subes on out list if I had to choose.

There is no point on keeping C graders on your list when you are rebuilding.

Suban should both go. D Pearce as well, if you we could negotiate an out of his contract.

Delist him an take a risk on another player.

As it stands we have 7 spots to fill if we go with the same 39/5 roster. That includes Suban who hasn’t been delisted.

If Suban is delisted then our next pick is 83. I’d prefer to sign Suban for 12 months and also look at the option of a delisted FA (Mullett, Hartung, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Boekhorst). That way we are batting no deeper than 71.

Last edited:
As it stands we have 7 spots to fill if we go with the same 39/5 roster. That includes Suban who hasn’t been delisted.

If Suban is delisted then our next pick is 83. I’d prefer to sign Suban for 12 months and also look at the option of a delisted FA (Mullett, Hartung, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Boekhorst). That we we are batting no deeper than 71.
The problem with not delisting Suban will be taking a spot knowing he don't had resell value , put it this way Freo might pick up some other club plan of Rookie list players ( Charlie Cameron , papley ) to put on their list .

Back