Article Official: NSW "Greatest Team of All Time"

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do we reckon, historians? Any glaring omissions or surprise picks that caught your eye?

More info here, which includes selection criteria and "squad members" that just missed the cut.

final-social-graphic-1024x1024.jpg

What do we reckon, historians? Any glaring omissions or surprise picks that caught your eye?

More info here, which includes selection criteria and "squad members" that just missed the cut.

final-social-graphic-1024x1024.jpg
Even though they do have plenty of tall options, I'm surprised that Anthony Daniher isn't in the team. I'd have thought he was a natural for the full-back spot. Leo Barry could be found another position easily enough. The fact that Daniher is not even in the squad seems very strange, as surely he must qualify for selection?! David Murphy I'd have in the team in front of Isaac Smith (at least); I think he was a class above him.

I'm glad they seem to have stuck closely to State of Origin rules in selecting this team, rather than just "claiming" anyone who had spent a few years in the state. William 'Nipper' Truscott was a superstar in WA, and must have gone very close to qualifying for this team, but he's not there, despite being born and raised in NSW and living there until (about) the age of 13, according to this article: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/truscott-william-john-8863

William John Truscott (1886-1966), footballer, was born on 9 October 1886 at Lithgow, New South Wales, third son of William John Truscott, a miner from Cornwall, and his native-born wife Susanna(h), née Strickland. In 1899 Mrs Truscott took the children to join their father at Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.

Last edited:

Even though they do have plenty of tall options, I'm surprised that Anthony Daniher isn't in the team. I'd have thought he was a natural for the full-back spot. Leo Barry could be found another position easily enough. The fact that Daniher is not even in the squad seems very strange, as surely he must qualify for selection?! David Murphy I'd have in the team in front of Isaac Smith (at least); I think he was a class above him.

I'm glad they seem to have stuck closely to State of Origin rules in selecting this team, rather than just "claiming" anyone who had spent a few years in the state. William 'Nipper' Truscott was a superstar in WA, and must have gone very close to qualifying for this team, but he's not there, despite being born and raised in NSW and living there until (about) the age of 13, according to this article: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/truscott-william-john-8863

William John Truscott (1886-1966), footballer, was born on 9 October 1886 at Lithgow, New South Wales, third son of William John Truscott, a miner from Cornwall, and his native-born wife Susanna(h), née Strickland. In 1899 Mrs Truscott took the children to join their father at Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.

Saw a couple of people on Twitter calling for Billy Brownless's inclusion. I'm guessing he would have qualified?

Saw a couple of people on Twitter calling for Billy Brownless's inclusion. I'm guessing he would have qualified?
He certainly should have qualified. The team is stacked with tall forwards, with 4 on the field, and another 2 on the bench, so that no doubt made it tough for him. It's a bit surprising they didn't at least name him in the squad, as he was a very decent (and high profile) player, but those tall forwards named all have him quite well covered, so perhaps there was no need for the likes of him (or Taylor Walker).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back