Official Off-Season Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

What failure the cavs are the second best team in the NBA
211fe697b707deb95dce2d59e0e77fb0.gif

Cavs situation reminds me of Ross Lyon's (contending) teams--all in now, little concern for the future. Of course they fall off a cliff once stars decline/move on. It's not really right or wrong, it's simply competing to win now.

You say that (and you're probably right about Gilbert)- but from how he has carried himself, I also reckon Lebron would be an extremely difficult superstar to work with. He can basically undermine any coach or front office with just a single comment. Has too much conflict of interest in terms of guys signed to his agency playing at the same club (seriously - I don't see how that is allowed) and has a history of not showing a great deal of loyalty to the clubs around him unless it is in his own interest (which is fair enough - as clubs treat players the same way - just you'd think it takes a bit of sacrifice from both sides, and I don't think either side has been too willing to work with each other).

He strikes me as the kind of guy who needed that Pat Riley "godfather" figure to keep him in check, the same way that Jordan needed Phil, and a younger Kobe/Shaq needed Phil (until all 3 of them became too big for their boots).

THIS THIS THIS

Gilbert has gifted LeBron everything and then some for the past 3 seasons. Gilbert's allowed LeBron, against his better judgement I'm sure, to act as the de facto coach and General Manager. Every of LeBron's wishes (within reason) has been his command. And now that all of it is unraveling they go back to blaming a person who's forked out the highest payroll (most of it on role players who just happen to be represented by his agent buddy Rich Paul *face palm*) in the NBA. Goodness me some people just like to have tongues firmly stuck up celebrities backsides , that kind of blind dumb adoration I'll never get.

What failure the cavs are the second best team in the NBA

If the Cavs were in the West making it to the Conference final might not be guaranteed, just my opinion. I'll happily admit that LeBron is a once in a generation talent. However his ball dominance isn't conducive to letting other superstar/star level teammates shine.

Too often his preferred style of play (wanting to be involved in everything every minute he's on the court hence why was physically spent in the Finals against the Dubs) reduces them to glorified role players (i.e. Bosh, Love, Kyrie, etc...). Whereas someone like Jordan knew the importance of getting all his teammates touches, getting them in rhythm early so that he could take over and be the closer in the 4th quarter if necessary. Jordan never stifled his teammates games in other words.

LeBron on the other hand scores most of his points in the first 3 quarters and goes into his shell in the 4th choosing to become a facilitator instead. And when things don't go his teams way (i.e. losing in the Finals in 2015 and 2017) he throws his teammates under the bus and blames them for losing the series.

Last edited:
THIS THIS THIS

Gilbert has gifted LeBron everything and then some for the past 3 seasons. Gilbert's allowed LeBron, against his better judgement I'm sure, to act as the de facto coach and General Manager. Every of LeBron's wishes (within reason) has been his command. And now that all of it is unraveling they go back to blaming a person who's forked out the highest payroll (most of it on role players who just happen to be represented by his agent buddy Rich Paul *face palm*) in the NBA. Goodness me some people just like to have tongues firmly stuck up celebrities backsides , that kind of blind dumb adoration I'll never get.

If the Cavs were in the West making it to the Conference final might not be guaranteed, just my opinion. I'll happily admit that LeBron is a once in a generation talent. However his ball dominance isn't conducive to letting other superstar/star level teammates shine.

Too often his preferred style of play (wanting to be involved in everything every minute he's on the court hence why was physically spent in the Finals against the Dubs) reduces them to glorified role players (i.e. Bosh, Love, Kyrie, etc...). Whereas someone like Jordan knew the importance of getting all his teammates touches, getting them in rhythm early so that he could take over and be the closer in the 4th quarter if necessary. Jordan never stifled his teammates games in other words.

LeBron on the other hand scores most of his points in the first 3 quarters and goes into his shell in the 4th choosing to become a facilitator instead. And when things don't go his teams way (i.e. losing in the Finals in 2015 and 2017) he throws his teammates under the bus and blames them for losing the series.
Boring Mj fan, Lebron hater. I would bother point out all the flaws in these statements but there is no point and I'm not a Lebron fan boy

Because Lebron has F*ed up the team around him. If Lebron walks next year he leaves Cleveland with a bunch of overpriced role players and no young pieces - a position they are in purely because of Lebron. (And hey - they won a ring, it probably is worth it).

I think Kyrie can read the writing on the wall - where he ends up, and how he handles it will determine how I view him. Whether he decides to join another young superstar (Kawhi) and try to be part of a dominant system over an extended period of time, or whether he wants to go somewhere new and just be a big fish, small pond player, he needs to own it and like a Harden or a Westbrook (both post-Durant) he needs to show that he can consistently be that dominant offensive player that he wants to be. If he goes somewhere new and continues to bicker with his teammates, coach, GM - then thats on him, and might as well be the next D-rose.

Jordan left the bulls twice. And they never won a thing without him

Boring Mj fan, Lebron hater. I would bother point out all the flaws in these statements but there is no point and I'm not a Lebron fan boy
Oh okay. lulz

FWIW once upon a time I was Phoenix, Portland, Utah and Seattle fan barracking hard for the likes of Sir Charles, Drexler, Malone, Kemp to win a title over His Airness and hopefully force some the billions of bandwagoners that Chicago had to eat some humble pie. I'm not a Chicago Bulls or Jordan but I recognise REAL GOATness when I see it and LeBron isn't on that level and never will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basketball. Never. Sleeps.

Everything the Cavs have done since the off-season started has bred dysfunction. Lay that squarely on Gilbert and not paying Griffin, Chauncey. Rumours of LeBron leaving next season get louder, and then you create an environment where something like this can happen.

No s**t that Kyrie isn't your best player on a championship calibre team, but players worse than him have thought that forever. It's a pretty naive request on his part more because the teams he prefers can't offer the Cavs s**t, and he forgoes the supermax. But 2 years left on a contract could get a juicy outside offer, and if Altman or whoever can read the tea leaves, they probably take it.

Flat-earth truthers are all about their independence.

Kyrie Irving:
25.2 PPG
3.2 RPG
5.8 APG
.53 eFG%

Isaiah Thomas:
28.9 PPG
2.7 RPG
5.9 APG
.54 eFG%

Boston should throw Jaylen Brown and a future top 3 pick in the deal though because height.

With the possible exception of Bobby Marks, nobody's saying that though.

I like how the random LeBron hater who shows up to hate on LeBron because he hates him is a Cats fan.

There are multiple Geelong supporting LeBron baggers ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back