Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns - Wednesday September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay would not be playing in the side at other clubs especially the top 8 to 10 clubs with the performances he is dishing up. For the size of him, his continual performances are well below standards. We need this individual to dominate but rarely see a glimmer of domination at all.
I agree somewhat but we saw when he was out our structure fell to pieces......he is below par now but he is the best we have up forward in that he knows our game plan inside out.

QLioness

Rookie
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the end it does not matter what we or other observes believe, but generally agree at this stage not AFL standard and that is why little pressure on McStay.
The weak NEAFL has done no favours to some of our developing players, but Skinner has had a total of 4 AFL games and Ballenden 2 games. Brownie had no touches his first game. Andrews and especially Gardner were ordinary for the first couple of years (admittedly defence under constant pressure). So as supporters of the club let's hope that Lions play in the VFL next year and this will develop some of our kids
*Skinner - total of 3 games
You're right though, wonder how they would develop if they had the luxury of consecutive games at senior level

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Charlie plays his 50th against the Suns.

With a bit of luck he'll actually come to play. Has been completely off the boil the past 6 weeks or so and nowhere near his AA form from last year.
Geez Dyl I don’t always agree with your posts but when will you stop with the constant negativity mate! I honestly don’t believe you would be happy unless we were having 50 point wins week in week out! It’s just not possible! You seem to forget how young of a side we still are! Would be great to sneak a premiership this year but we are building to a much bigger year next year and years from then! We are still learning and evolving! Give them a bit of a break sometimes!

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Birchall is rested would not mind seeing Hinge given a crack. Probably more a winger but whether can play the half back role as Birchall? Maybe Ah chee goes back to play half back role with hinge roaming wing/ half forward OR Hinge plays the half back role if they think he is up to it.
Bringing in Eagles for Andrews with the option of then Mcstay going back and using Eagles as second ruckmen, if Mcstay not working then you have the option of using Eagles down back if required.
McCarthy comes in but i was initially dropping ah chee but if he is needed for Birchall role if rested, then he stays so other one is Coleman but i liked his game ( whether they play him another game in 5 days who knows). The other option is whether Robbo gets a rest? Not for form but just a break?

Geez Dyl I don’t always agree with your posts but when will you stop with the constant negativity mate! I honestly don’t believe you would be happy unless we were having 50 point wins week in week out! It’s just not possible! You seem to forget how young of a side we still are! Would be great to sneak a premiership this year but we are building to a much bigger year next year and years from then! We are still learning and evolving! Give them a bit of a break sometimes!

While I don't disagree re: frustration at the general trend towards negativity when we're currently projecting to finish top 4 for the second year in a row, I do think Dylan raises an interesting point concerning Charlie. His efforts have unquestionably been there in recent weeks, but this is the lowest patch of goal kicking form he's had since joining the club.

He kicked one against North Melbourne, but was goalless in our other three most recent games against the Bulldogs, North, and Collingwood. Only one against Richmond the week before that too. So all up that's two goals in five games, which is a noticeable drop off for a player who averaged more than two goals a game last year.

For a direct comparison to 2019:
2019 - 57 goals from 24 games
2020 - 21 goals from 14 games (with only 2 goals from the 5 most recent games).

In fact, five games in a row without multiple goals is something Charlie hasn't done before during his time at the club - his previous lowest was three games in a row (rounds 3-5 last year), with just the one goal in that period against Port in round 3.

So I think it is fair to say that he is in a bit of a goal kicking lull. Interestingly, it seems Lachie is too at the moment. Not ideal to have two of our three AA stars noticeably down on form and the other now injured, but I guess it shows how much the whole team has developed that we're still winning.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Check our player of the year votes.
Some of the players who get votes on our "Player Of The Year" certainly take away significant credibility with votes given to players who dont deserve anything other than a stern warning to lift their game or face relegation.

If Birchall is rested would not mind seeing Hinge given a crack. Probably more a winger but whether can play the half back role as Birchall? Maybe Ah chee goes back to play half back role with hinge roaming wing/ half forward OR Hinge plays the half back role if they think he is up to it.
Bringing in Eagles for Andrews with the option of then Mcstay going back and using Eagles as second ruckmen, if Mcstay not working then you have the option of using Eagles down back if required.
McCarthy comes in but i was initially dropping ah chee but if he is needed for Birchall role if rested, then he stays so other one is Coleman but i liked his game ( whether they play him another game in 5 days who knows). The other option is whether Robbo gets a rest? Not for form but just a break?
Having just come off a bye, I don’t think it will be this game that Birchall will be rested.
Maybe he won’t make the trip to Cairns though against Sydney.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have seen Payne take some great intercept marks in NEAFL games. I’m pretty sure he may have manned up on Ben King in the NEAFL at least once early last year. He may have come across Corbett at NEAFL level as well. Payne has surprising pace and good closing speed.
now that you mention
I don't think it really matters if we finish first. We are just not in the same class as Geelong and Richmond and possibly West Coast and Port Adelaide. We barely beat bottom six clubs and the likes of Geelong and Richmond just don't have an issue playing at the Gabba. In addition, guys go down and they bring in the likes of Henderson, Jenkins etc. whereas we'll be relying on the likes Payne or an Eagles, Ballenden, Skinner etc. I still think someone like Robertson should have been rookied for the break glass situation. If Berry or Neale go down, who are we relying on?
Agree. If we finish 2nd very likely to play Geelong in first semi, West Coast appear not the same team when in the hub so would rather play them in the qualifying semi.
IF we finished 1st, Richmond could lose to Geelong this Friday and still possibly finish 4th, so that is also a bad result. Rather play West Coast then Geelong or Richmond

thinking as Payne does not play the interceptor role in NEAFL normally
Do we get Payne in for Lester
Switch McStay back doing Andrews role
Get Skinner/Ballenden in for McStay's role
Move Ah Chee back and get McCarthy in.

So out Andrews, Lester and Fullarton
In Payne, McCarthy and Skinner/Ballenden.
No

Charlie plays his 50th against the Suns.

With a bit of luck he'll actually come to play. Has been completely off the boil the past 6 weeks or so and nowhere near his AA form from last year.
Sides have woken up, as I said they would. They are playing physically larger, but still mobile, defenders on him and they are spending the game standing on his toes. Grimes showed everyone how to beat Charlie and other sides have caught on. After the game against Richmond at the MCG Charlie said he would develop a new approach and he needs to. He needs to RUN around more up the ground and lead back into space. Trying to spot him up inside 50 and expecting him to take contested marks is not playing to his strengths. Charlie is a GUN and Fagan is a GENIUS, so they will work it out.

I think Fages will keep the Structure of the team the same so what I think will happen with team selection -

Eagles/Payne for Harris
Archie/Ballas for Fullarton
And McCarthy for ?? I hope not Coleman - maybe AhChee??

What I would like to see happen -

Eagles/Payne for Harris
McCarthy for Fullarton

McStay to play as second Ruck, I thought he did a pretty good job when in there on the weekend.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having just come off a bye, I don’t think it will be this game that Birchall will be rested.
Maybe he won’t make the trip to Cairns though against Sydney.
Yes can not see Birchall being rested or omitted for that matter this week.

However i would not be surprised if Robbo is rested this week or the Sydney game.
This reasoning comes from a recent Fagan interview when asked about Robbo's form.
He said - That 4 games in a short time had a bigger impact on his body and recovery than most others. It's just the style of footy he plays makes recovery harder over a short time period

On the other hand only 3 games or 10 days until the next bye round.

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
Would love to see McStay go back to cover for Andrews

skinner comes in to replace fullarton

ah chee the unlucky one to make way for Linc (or an older guy like Zorko or Robbo possibly rested?)

play a small forward line with Hipwood the only tall.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
David Noble in his presser saying that Hinge, A.Smith, Payne and McCarthy played only half a game in the reserves scratch match on the weekend as they will be involved in the discussions re selection for Wednesday night.

Considering this I'd say it is going to be >

Smith for Fullarton:(.
Payne for Andrews.
McCarthy for ?? I hope not Coleman.
Hinge > Birchall(managed?)

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
David Noble in his presser saying that Hinge, A.Smith, Payne and McCarthy played only half a game in the reserves scratch match on the weekend as they will be involved in the discussions re selection for Wednesday night.

Payne for Andrews.

Think Ah Chee might make way for McCarthy. Coleman was absolutely fantastic in his debut.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Brab on another thread floated the idea that we go small in the forward line, simply replacing McStay with McCarthy and the idea is growing on me. McCarthy has taken as many 'grabs' as McStay, leads more intelligently than all our forwards and is hard at it.

McStay down back is something I would have tried well before this week but he is playing so poorly at the moment. He has been our worse player two weeks in a row. Another game like the last two could destroy any confidence he has. IMO he should spend some time in the Twos.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Payne for Andrews.
Pretty close Jason mp....pretty close. :thumbsu: :brisbane:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back