Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns - Wednesday September 9th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fages having a laugh for having a go at the media about considering the loss of Andrews as being a massive blow. Of course it is Fages and to try and sell it as anything different is being disingenuous. It is right to point out that it is in no way fatal and we can adapt and still win but to lose the AA fullback who has been in great form is a blow to the side without question.

Fages having a laugh for having a go at the media about considering the loss of Andrews as being a massive blow. Of course it is Fages and to try and sell it as anything different is being disingenuous. It is right to point out that it is in no way fatal and we can adapt and still win but to lose the AA fullback who has been in great form is a blow to the side without question.

What do you expect him to say though? If you start bemoaning the loss or concede it, that defeatist attitude won’t motivate the team. Even if he’s lying through his teeth it’s the right message to send.

Hopefully he’s worked out a way to actually kick more than 6-7 goals in a match. The game plan this year just makes for putrid viewing and a big reason for that is because we just don’t score.
As long as the team we are playing scores less.

The media aren’t the only ones who think that.
Even before Harris was injured I had us behind Geelong, Richmond and West Coast although it looks like the Eagles are a 5 goal worse side in QLD than in WA.

So for me right now it's the Cats and Tigers a way in front of everyone else, if we can get a couple of useful trade ins over the off season and continued development/improvement from the likes of Hipwood, Bailey, Starcevich, McCluggage, J.Berry, Answerth, Rayner I think our wide open premiership window starts next year.

Hopefully he’s worked out a way to actually kick more than 6-7 goals in a match. The game plan this year just makes for putrid viewing and a big reason for that is because we just don’t score.
We were actually the highest scoring team in the competition last season and up until a month ago were this season as well, we have dropped of though, inaccurate goal kicking is a contributing factor in this drop off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong is the only team that has scored significantly more than us this season. We're only slightly behind port and St Kilda (who concede more than us).

We're 4th for average points per match. Would probably be first if you factored in our shocking kicking

We were actually the highest scoring team in the competition last season and up until a month ago were this season as well, we have dropped of though, inaccurate goal kicking is a contributing factor in this drop off.

We're still 4th this season and given our opponents in the last 3 rounds will probably finish 2nd despite our goal kicking.

lol fagan has the shits, and he got called on it. Totally understand the dislike of the media hounding but all top of the table teams cop close scrutiny over every little thing, and the Brisbane focus of AFL this year was always going to add extra. Last year was a free ride from the media, was never going to last.

Best solution - we come out on Wednesday and put in a seasons best performance for our coach. 75% accuracy, charlie kicks 2, hippy slots two from 20m straight out shots, McStay takes 8 contested marks in beast mode (sorry matho - you gotta lend your title just this once), and our defence keeps the opposition to less than 20 ponts, with only one goal but loads of single point scores.

What do you expect him to say though? If you start bemoaning the loss or concede it, that defeatist attitude won’t motivate the team. Even if he’s lying through his teeth it’s the right message to send.

Acknowledge that it is a loss for us but then go onto the stuff about the teams who have lost guys the last few years and won the premiership, the quality of the guys who can come in, reinforce that adjustments can be made and that it is a team game after all. Easy enough to retain confidence in the side winning without losing credibility by denying that it does hurt to lose the best FB in the game.

Acknowledge that it is a loss for us but then go onto the stuff about the teams who have lost guys the last few years and won the premiership, the quality of the guys who can come in, reinforce that adjustments can be made and that it is a team game after all. Easy enough to retain confidence in the side winning without losing credibility by denying that it does hurt to lose the best FB in the game.
Within the 1st 20secs of the presser he said "yes he's an important player"
I thought it was a great press conference, really got the feeling that he's trying to instil us vs the rest mentality... Everyone is writing us off lets show them and it starts with the coaches attitude 💪💪

He might have done it in his own special Fages way.
But I am pretty sure he did say all of that?

Last edited:
Geelong is the only team that has scored significantly more than us this season. We're only slightly behind port and St Kilda (who concede more than us).

We're 4th for average points per match. Would probably be first if you factored in our shocking kicking

Expected score ladder:

We are 40 expected points for behind geelong having played one game less. So yeah, shocking kicking is why we aren’t the highest scoring team in the comp though to be fair ports kicking has been below par as well.

Even before Harris was injured I had us behind Geelong, Richmond and West Coast although it looks like the Eagles are a 5 goal worse side in QLD than in WA.
I would agree with this but quite often the best side in the finals has not shown itself to be the best team during the rest of the season. I know it is an old cliche but finals are a lot different.

I would agree with this but quite often the best side in the finals has not shown itself to be the best team during the rest of the season. I know it is an old cliche but finals are a lot different.
Dogs got a hot run in 2016.
Richmond was not the best regular season team in 2017 - IIRC Adelaide was a clear favourite in that GF.
All the money was on Richmond after the regular season in 2018, until Mason Cox played a game.

That’s what I was thinking and a message to whoever gets the nod to replace Harris that he has the confidence in him to do the job.

Fages has confidence in our players and instilled confidence in themselves, rarely dropping anyone, and have a look again at our last quarter against Collingwood. We were really up against it but there was no sign of panic from any of the players.

We are now hard to beat. Thanks Fages.

I'm hoping for Coleman to play well again and if they select a youngster, who ever he is, he plays well.

Good news about Martin. The Big O has shown improvement in the ruck and he may become a real weapon up forward in the finals if give him more minutes in the goal square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back