2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite like the look of 28 - has played well at CHB and had a run in the ruck late in the 3rd.

22 is Bililign Robertson, he's been good so far, spent time both forward and back. Good intensity, skills maybe let him down a tough at times but one of our best so far I reckon.

29 BOG by far. Just dominating up forward. Could be Billy King, but if not we've got another prospect on our hands. If it is Billy King, then he's definitely not a 1st ruck, much more a KPF who can provide a chop out. Very good set shot by the look of it.

8 - Possibly TJ Speedy-Coe - good defensive pressure, scraps and tackles well, seems quick over the ground and decently sized for a small/mid.

23 I'm 80% sure is Tye Gander. If so, good news is he's grown into KPF sized territory while retaining pace and agility. Bad news is so far he's been pretty meh. Intensity seems a little low compared to his teammates.

Two things I like about watching this compared to watching Kayo last week. Both the quality of picture and commentary are way better! :)
Who needs commentary when you can clearly hear one of the coaches from the Bushrangers audibly groan every time they miss-hit a switch kick into the middle.

Looking at these highlights (granted they're from u16s in 2020), I'm quietly confident 29 is Billy King.
At that level he has to play ruck. Reading about him seems more likely to hit the draft as a KPF/chop out. Seems pretty agile.

No 3, plays wing. Looks like Daniel Rich, has a good left leg, reads the play well and wears big shorts.
No 7, small but knows how to win the ball and is composed in traffic (not saying he'a a Gulden yet but he reminds me of him).
No 14, you wouldn't be given No 14 unless you can play. This kid can, he plays midfield and is skillful but petered out as the game went on.
No 24, looks a real prospect. Switched to a more defensive role from attack in the 3rd quarter.
I like some of our talls...a lot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At that level he has to play ruck. Reading about him seems more likely to hit the draft as a KPF/chop out. Seems pretty agile.

Yep and that's the role 29 was playing today. Did a bit of rucking up forward and I think I saw him attend a couple of centre bounces in the first quarter, but was predominantly FF/CHF.

Yep and that's the role 29 was playing today. Did a bit of rucking up forward and I think I saw him attend a couple of centre bounces in the first quarter, but was predominantly FF/CHF.
I thought #30 was a bit less coordinated than I would have expected of King, and less coordinated than the kid in the U16s.
Be good to see how they develop over the season. Couldn't be faulted for attitude from what I saw.
I guess that was Bushrangers U18.

Sorry to intrude, think this sort of devalues McAndrew's inclusion through the mid year draft to a degree, he's an academy graduate after all.

As for improvement into 2022, Billy King and Tye Gander already seem to have caught the eye, Josh Nicholls is also one that looked impressive in the U17's GWS v Sydney Academy matches. To go with Gander as an athletic yet somewhat raw type, TJ Speedy Coe could be one of those rookie list types with his relatively recent switch to Aussie Rules and athletic gifts, so there's a bit to be excited about, but 2023 is looking good for the Swans academy already and the one I'd be hanging my hat on, Ned Hawkins and Lachlan Cabor look very good

Ned Hawkins is pretty well regarded. Has grown massively in last 12 months. Inside bull with skills

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back