2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

AFL Club
Sydney
The A's looked good today, especially the big bodies.
Almost every player has blown out the cob webs, and Ainslie were really never in the game.
A few boys had silky skills but lacked the team mentality required.
Two B's that pressed their claim for the Nats were Tom Drum in defence and 17 y.o Isaiah from Maitland all over the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DavyRed

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
The A's looked good today, especially the big bodies.
Almost every player has blown out the cob webs, and Ainslie were really never in the game.
A few boys had silky skills but lacked the team mentality required.
Two B's that pressed their claim for the Nats were Tom Drum in defence and 17 y.o Isaiah from Maitland all over the park.
I managed to get to the ‘A’ game and your summary is pretty much spot on. The boys were never really threatened and it was a fairly easy victory - 12.9.81 to 4.3.27. I will also endorse your comment about team mentality. Too many instances when boys ignored the simple handball or kick to a player in space for their moment of glory, which usually ended up in a turnover. I assume the coaches will be having a few words with the boys involved through the week - some of the 18s who really should know better by now and one or two of the 16/17s who may have got a little ‘excited’ perhaps.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
I managed to get to the ‘A’ game and your summary is pretty much spot on. The boys were never really threatened and it was a fairly easy victory - 12.9.81 to 4.3.27. I will also endorse your comment about team mentality. Too many instances when boys ignored the simple handball or kick to a player in space for their moment of glory, which usually ended up in a turnover. I assume the coaches will be having a few words with the boys involved through the week - some of the 18s who really should know better by now and one or two of the 16/17s who may have got a little ‘excited’ perhaps.
Stand outs in your humble opinion?
Im not really one to name and shame, so not who needs a kick in the bum for selfish play ;)

DavyRed

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Stand outs in your humble opinion?
Im not really one to name and shame, so not who needs a kick in the bum for selfish play ;)
Yeah, I’m usually uncomfortably being negative about individual 16 to 18 years olds. They’re not full AFL players and are typically trying their best. Let me think about whether there are any “constructively critical” observations I can make.

As far as standouts are concerned, I actually commented to my son yesterday that I didn’t think there were any really. It was a fairly even performance with nobody really putting their hand up.

AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, I’m usually uncomfortably being negative about individual 16 to 18 years olds. They’re not full AFL players and are typically trying their best. Let me think about whether there are any “constructively critical” observations I can make.

As far as standouts are concerned, I actually commented to my son yesterday that I didn’t think there were any really. It was a fairly even performance with nobody really putting their hand up.
Yeah.. i agree that it was an even perfomance, but there were stand outs.
Backs.... Parks and Gedes played good games.
Mids.. McKella, McGrath, Martin and Watling dominated
Fwds.. Rayner and Adams while up front where causing problems for the defence.
Again... not many poor reports.

DavyRed

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah.. i agree that it was an even perfomance, but there were stand outs.
Backs.... Parks and Gedes played good games.
Mids.. McKella, McGrath, Martin and Watling dominated
Fwds.. Rayner and Adams while up front where causing problems for the defence.
Again... not many poor reports.
I think we’re probably using slightly different criteria. I agree with the names you’ve put up but was more thinking about the one or two ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ type performances and I didn’t think there was one of those yesterday. Regardless, on to Canberra next week to play GWS in the last pre-season game. Will you be going along to that? I won’t be.

AFL Club
Sydney
I think we’re probably using slightly different criteria. I agree with the names you’ve put up but was more thinking about the one or two ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ type performances and I didn’t think there was one of those yesterday. Regardless, on to Canberra next week to play GWS in the last pre-season game. Will you be going along to that? I won’t be.
Nahhh.. too far to go atm... couple of years before that :)

AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone get to the game vs GWS?
I have heard from a player's family, but would like to hear any reports.
Anyone dominate?
I heard Green and Delahunty were kept relatively quiet??

Top Bottom