2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

The A's looked good today, especially the big bodies.
Almost every player has blown out the cob webs, and Ainslie were really never in the game.
A few boys had silky skills but lacked the team mentality required.
Two B's that pressed their claim for the Nats were Tom Drum in defence and 17 y.o Isaiah from Maitland all over the park.
I managed to get to the ‘A’ game and your summary is pretty much spot on. The boys were never really threatened and it was a fairly easy victory - 12.9.81 to 4.3.27. I will also endorse your comment about team mentality. Too many instances when boys ignored the simple handball or kick to a player in space for their moment of glory, which usually ended up in a turnover. I assume the coaches will be having a few words with the boys involved through the week - some of the 18s who really should know better by now and one or two of the 16/17s who may have got a little ‘excited’ perhaps.

Last edited:
I managed to get to the ‘A’ game and your summary is pretty much spot on. The boys were never really threatened and it was a fairly easy victory - 12.9.81 to 4.3.27. I will also endorse your comment about team mentality. Too many instances when boys ignored the simple handball or kick to a player in space for their moment of glory, which usually ended up in a turnover. I assume the coaches will be having a few words with the boys involved through the week - some of the 18s who really should know better by now and one or two of the 16/17s who may have got a little ‘excited’ perhaps.
Stand outs in your humble opinion?
Im not really one to name and shame, so not who needs a kick in the bum for selfish play ;)

Stand outs in your humble opinion?
Im not really one to name and shame, so not who needs a kick in the bum for selfish play ;)
Yeah, I’m usually uncomfortably being negative about individual 16 to 18 years olds. They’re not full AFL players and are typically trying their best. Let me think about whether there are any “constructively critical” observations I can make.

As far as standouts are concerned, I actually commented to my son yesterday that I didn’t think there were any really. It was a fairly even performance with nobody really putting their hand up.

Yeah, I’m usually uncomfortably being negative about individual 16 to 18 years olds. They’re not full AFL players and are typically trying their best. Let me think about whether there are any “constructively critical” observations I can make.

As far as standouts are concerned, I actually commented to my son yesterday that I didn’t think there were any really. It was a fairly even performance with nobody really putting their hand up.
Yeah.. i agree that it was an even perfomance, but there were stand outs.
Backs.... Parks and Gedes played good games.
Mids.. McKella, McGrath, Martin and Watling dominated
Fwds.. Rayner and Adams while up front where causing problems for the defence.
Again... not many poor reports.

Yeah.. i agree that it was an even perfomance, but there were stand outs.
Backs.... Parks and Gedes played good games.
Mids.. McKella, McGrath, Martin and Watling dominated
Fwds.. Rayner and Adams while up front where causing problems for the defence.
Again... not many poor reports.
I think we’re probably using slightly different criteria. I agree with the names you’ve put up but was more thinking about the one or two ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ type performances and I didn’t think there was one of those yesterday. Regardless, on to Canberra next week to play GWS in the last pre-season game. Will you be going along to that? I won’t be.

I think we’re probably using slightly different criteria. I agree with the names you’ve put up but was more thinking about the one or two ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ type performances and I didn’t think there was one of those yesterday. Regardless, on to Canberra next week to play GWS in the last pre-season game. Will you be going along to that? I won’t be.
Nahhh.. too far to go atm... couple of years before that :)

Anyone get to the game vs GWS?
I have heard from a player's family, but would like to hear any reports.
Anyone dominate?
I heard Green and Delahunty were kept relatively quiet??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reportedly is.

Watching the start of the first quarter and just saw him pick up a heavy ball on a wet track (there is puddles on the ground!) at full pace with one hand.

Horse, "Why not just fumble it to the boundary. This kid will never make it." Horse

Gulden was the leading ball winner on the ground.

36 disposals, 6 Marks, 3 tackles, 8i50, 4r50, 2 goals 1 behind

(Next best was 28 disposals for Tassie, 2nd best Swan was 24).

Gulden is only 173cm but doesn’t turn 17 until July.

This Gulden any good?

Reportedly not just good, but very very good.

In the first game of the National Championships, against the Northern Territory, Gulden recorded statistics rarely seen - 27 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, eight clearances, four tackles and five goals.

At the end of the Championships, which also included games against Queensland and Tasmania, Gulden was named the Most Valuable Player for NSW-ACT and also won the Allan McLean Medal for the best and fairest player in Division Two.

Over the three games, Gulden averaged 31.7 disposals, 4.7 clearances, two goals and 5.7 tackles.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-19/academy-duo-named-in-all-australian-team

2020 draft then

Be interesting to see if what he gets rated

Definitely. His height might hold him back a little from the top echelon of the draft (173cm but should still grow).

Re other point in numbers, I am not sure what Mills academy numbers were like but in his 2nd or 3rd NEAFL game as a 16/17 year old top up he got 40 touches playing in the mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back