2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
So is Sandringham missing some of its best players like someone on the last page suggested they might be?

Sandringham have 9 players in the Vic Metro squad who are apparently having a trial match or something. So at least 9 missing you’d think.

Edit: sorry 9 was the 2018 squad I can’t find the 2019 squad

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
FULL TIME
Sydney 16.9.105
Sandringham 12.11.83

Goals:
Maguire, Campbell 3
Ellem, Gulden, Tyson, Thorn 2
Watling, McGrath 1

Gulden 26 disposals, 6 Marks, 9 i50, 2.1
Thorn 21 disposals, 5 Marks, 4 tackles, 3i50, 3r50, 2.0
Watling 16 disposals, 3 Marks, 7 i50

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
FULL TIME
Sydney 16.9.105
Sandringham 12.11.83

Goals:
Maguire, Campbell 3
Ellem, Gulden, Tyson, Thorn 2
Watling, McGrath 1

Gulden 26 disposals, 6 Marks, 9 i50, 2.1
Thorn 21 disposals, 5 Marks, 4 tackles, 3i50, 3r50, 2.0
Watling 16 disposals, 3 Marks, 7 i50

Those are some great stats by Gulden again, especially the 9 inside 50's.

Thorn seemed to play well as well, and MaGuire/Campbell both kicked a reasonable amount of goals. Does anyone know what sort of players both of them are?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker400

Senior List
Mar 19, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was walking at the end of the game so hopefully not too bad. He was having a good game as well. In my opinion probably one of best users of the ball in our squad.

Sniper in row 5 got him called cramp.

Campbell's 60m goal was really good alot to work with.
As I posted in the draft board gulden looks really good but ran out of legs in the 3rd Mr cramp got him to and a kid!!
Ellem is the biggest monster I've even seen! I think he ate our winger

Thorne doesn't look 175cm he played strong and showed real x factor .

Sandy had 8 out buy was a good job by you're boys.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

As I posted in the draft board gulden looks really good but ran out of legs in the 3rd Mr cramp got him to and a kid!!

If the Swans Academy can get as strong as a single TAC Cup team (or whatever they are called these days) that is going to be a real positive going forward. Sure Sandringham were missing a healthy chunk of their best players but they are also the best team this year, so there is a good chance the Swans Academy could beat a full strength lesser TAC Cup team.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Great line about young Ellem.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Ellem from last year

1555144414594.png

He towers at 193 centimetres and tips the scales at 101 kilograms, making him heavier than bulldozing Sydney ruckman Darcy Cameron despite being 11 centimetres shorter.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-09-14/neafl-academy-young-gun-eyes-grand-final

That was September 2018. I hope he manages to grow another 7cm in the last 6 months and the next 6 months so he could potentially be drafted as a ruckman. Looks like a very very solid unit.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Thanks mate. Hopefully good news re Martin then. Disappointing that Sandy had so many out, it would have been better to have a full strength contest. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

the Swans Academy boys are big. I noticed there were very few bottom ages in the squad as well. Used the ball well and were particularly well drilled. A number of good performers in the half I saw. Looked a cut above sandy who were missing a few, however fair to say they would give a full strength Sandy or Oakleigh a good run for their money.

Liked the look of Number 2, Number 9 and Number 11....dont know their names but amongst a number of good players I thought they looked pretty good in the first half.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
the Swans Academy boys are big. I noticed there were very few bottom ages in the squad as well. Used the ball well and were particularly well drilled. A number of good performers in the half I saw. Looked a cut above sandy who were missing a few, however fair to say they would give a full strength Sandy or Oakleigh a good run for their money.

Liked the look of Number 2, Number 9 and Number 11....dont know their names but amongst a number of good players I thought they looked pretty good in the first half.

According to the youtube video of the game (the team they show before the game has the numbers)

2 - Hamish Ellem
9 - Samuel Thorne
11 - Aiden Watling

NAB stats are a joke!
Actually the ones on the nab league app are....the stats on footy live are the better stats to look at. The ones in the app are never accurate.

In terms of the actual stats they are no more of a joke as Afl stats really.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back