2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...y/news-story/e5e3e8ba499b51d8c3b02a86649126c5

Chifley resident Errol Gulden may be only 16 but he his already reaching the elite level of his chosen sport — AFL.
Errol, who plays for the UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs club, has been a member of the Sydney Swans Academy since he first trialled in under 11s and he has made it every year since.
61aee3751b8e0d5e76ee980ae2a57af9

UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs player Errol Gulden practises his skills at UNSW Village Green. Picture: Monique Harmer
“The coaching we get is the best you can get in NSW — the access to facilities and they have really good strength and conditioning programs,” Errol said.
“If you get through to the under-18s program, the Swans have priority over you in drafting.”

The Marcellin College student has been playing Aussie rules since the age of four.
His achievements so far are impressive — last year he made the NSW U16s team, and he was selected this year for the U17 All-Australian team to play New Zealand.
2caf27dabfc55068adf895458828638c
Errol Gulden, 16, will soon represent Australia in a match against New Zealand. Picture: Monique Harmer
The midfielder was also best on ground for the Bulldogs U19s in their grand final win in 2018.
“My biggest supporters are my mum and dad and brother Adam — they are my biggest influence,” he said.

Plenty of growing left in him then. He could easily reach 180cm.

Also makes it all the more impressive how he is doing in a competition where most of the players are between 8 months and 20 months older than him.

Meh.... Break the little ****ers legs, fix them and put him on the rack to stretch him out, so we can get a 4th round back pocket.

Seriously, the lad seems great.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Looked like a strong game from Ellem. 21 disposals, 9 Marks, 3.3

Love how well he moves for such a big kid.
A stronger game from Kyle Martin and Jacob Dol, in my opinion, and for once the Swans have actually seemed to recognise their efforts. From the Academy Facebook page:

PNG image.png

These guys have so often been the quiet achievers of the team. I’m not for a second underplaying the impact that Ellem had but take the time to see the impact that the likes of Martin and Dol have. Martin had the highest possessions for the Swans (24) from Half-back/Back pocket (after being in the top four last game) and importantly almost every one was well thought out and hit its target, unlike so many others players efforts. He and Dol worked their backsides off and held the backline together. Dol played a bit more inside with a greater proportion of handballs and picked up 21 possessions and was again extremely solid and had a great game.

Yes, the forwards always get the glory but make no mistake, the Defense won that game for the Swans today.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
A stronger game from Kyle Martin and Jacob Dol, in my opinion, and for once the Swans have actually seemed to recognise their efforts. From the Academy Facebook page:

View attachment 663151

These guys have so often been the quiet achievers of the team. I’m not for a second underplaying the impact that Ellem had but take the time to see the impact that the likes of Martin and Dol have. Martin had the highest possessions for the Swans (24) from Half-back/Back pocket (after being in the top four last game) and importantly almost every one was well thought out and hit its target, unlike so many others players efforts. He and Dol worked their backsides off and held the backline together. Dol played a bit more inside with a greater proportion of handballs and picked up 21 possessions and was again extremely solid and had a great game.

Yes, the forwards always get the glory but make no mistake, the Defense won that game for the Swans today.

Oh no question. I didn’t see the game so I didn’t mean to make out I did, just I have seen him at NEAFL and his numbers were strong for a key forward at any level. I liked Martin from the last game which I did get to watch.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Rd 2 - E. Gulden, L. Parks, K. McKellar, J. Dol, M. Geddes, B. Campbell
Rd 3 - M. Geddes, A. Watling, B. Campbell, H. Parker, S. Gaden, H. Ellem
Rd 4 - H. Ellem, N. Brewer, B. Campbell, L. Parks, A. Watling, S. Thorne
Rd 5 - L. Swaney, C. Nash, A. Watling, M. Geddes, J. Dol, S. Thorne

So those are the games so far.

Gulden will be in the allies side, no doubt about it but based on this the Allies side should have

E.Gulden
M.Geddes
A.Watling
S.Thorne
H.Ellem
B. Campbell

in it at a minimum.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Rd 2 - E. Gulden, L. Parks, K. McKellar, J. Dol, M. Geddes, B. Campbell
Rd 3 - M. Geddes, A. Watling, B. Campbell, H. Parker, S. Gaden, H. Ellem
Rd 4 - H. Ellem, N. Brewer, B. Campbell, L. Parks, A. Watling, S. Thorne
Rd 5 - L. Swaney, C. Nash, A. Watling, M. Geddes, J. Dol, S. Thorne

So those are the games so far.

Gulden will be in the allies side, no doubt about it but based on this the Allies side should have

E.Gulden
M.Geddes
A.Watling
S.Thorne
H.Ellem
B. Campbell

in it at a minimum.
Interesting, that’s quite a different (and somewhat strange) best list (NAB League list?) for today’s game than the one put up by the Swans. Martin doesn’t feature at all, Dol down to fifth best, Thorne down to Sixth and Swaney judged as best and didn’t even feature in the Swans list!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting, that’s quite a different (and somewhat strange) best list (NAB League list?) for today’s game than the one put up by the Swans. Martin doesn’t feature at all, Dol down to fifth best, Thorne down to Sixth and Swaney judged as best and didn’t even feature in the Swans list!

Yeah, I got those lists from the NAB League site. No idea who was making the list though.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, I got those lists from the NAB League site. No idea who was making the list though.
Yeah, I wonder if that is more of a reflection on likely Allies selection given it’s from the NAB League? However, having said that, I would almost guarantee that Rayner, Barling and I think it was Thorne and Ellem will get in to the Allies regardless of form because they were already named in the Allies Training Squad earlier this year (plus Gulden and Campbell as under-agers who were also named, I think).

Last edited:
Back