2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Allies has a list of 55 ?? It says the squad of 50.
Of that, 10 are underagers and 10 are over agers.
How many overagers are "allowed" to play? 2?
And you would assume that only 2 or 3 under agers would play per game.
So of the 35 players who are u18, you could assume that 18 will be chosen for each game.
Hopefully that means we will see at least 3 or 4 swans running around in each game.
Preferably more!

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Great news!
Sydney Swans Academy: [10]
Jackson Barling (Willoughby Mosman)
Braeden Campbell (Westbrook)
Hamish Ellem (Manly Warringah)
Samuel Gaden (Easts Bulldogs)
Max Geddes (Easts Bulldogs)
Errol Gulden (Maroubra)
Ky McGrath (Warners Bay)
Luke Parks (North Shore)
Josh Rayner (North Shore)
Sam Thorne (Figtree Kangaroos)
Next key stage is to survive the cut from 50 to 25-30 boys and then selection in the actual team. Let’s see how many Swans we end up with.

All totally subjective of course but there would be a few named here who might consider themselves a bit lucky. Mind you, there would be another two or three who might consider themselves unlucky not to be included.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Next key stage is to survive the cut from 50 to 25-30 boys and then selection in the actual team. Let’s see how many Swans we end up with.

All totally subjective of course but there would be a few named here who might consider themselves a bit lucky. Mind you, there would be another two or three who might consider themselves unlucky not to be included.
I would say that all that have been selected have earned their spots.
I think that they may play roles that differ from simply gaining stats from getting possessions.
However, i think that you're right.
Parker and Swaney must have been in consideration, and Wattling and Martin probably should have.
Im not sure if they have players in the same positions from other teams that ranked higher, but they would have had to have played well to be.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I would say that all that have been selected have earned their spots.
I think that they may play roles that differ from simply gaining stats from getting possessions.
However, i think that you're right.
Parker and Swaney must have been in consideration, and Wattling and Martin probably should have.
Im not sure if they have players in the same positions from other teams that ranked higher, but they would have had to have played well to be.
Slightly different view here, I’d say Watling and Martin were top of the ‘unlucky list’. Then the likes of Dol, Swaney and Parker. However, as you say, it does also come down to types of players and positions.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Slightly different view here, I’d say Watling and Martin were top of the ‘unlucky list’. Then the likes of Dol, Swaney and Parker. However, as you say, it does also come down to types of players and positions.
That was my point.
Parker and Swaney must have been considered.
BUT Watling and Martin probably should have been selected also!
I'm trying to work out how a team like the Lions who won one game could have 8 selected though.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That was my point.
Parker and Swaney must have been considered.
BUT Watling and Martin probably should have been selected also!
I'm trying to work out how a team like the Lions who won one game could have 8 selected though.
Yep, I was trying to place them in some kind of ‘next most likely’ order and had Watling and Martin as my next cabs off the rank (no matter, all a waste of time really).

Oh, and I think we both know the answer to your Brisbane Lions question ;). Can’t have them with only a couple of boys now can we :mad:

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Are there any likely 1st or 2nd round swans academy kids that will be bid on that we could have to match in the draft? Not much fanfare about this years academy crop, and I know very little about them.
The 8 boys selected that are eligible for draft, are probably not 1st or 2nd round options.
Each brings different skills to the table, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 picked up in late rounds and 1 or 2 rookied.
Rayner. Prob highest profile, key big bodied defender, good intercept marking. Been a bit below par through champs. Good boot.
Ellam. Big unit, kpf, fast with a big left boot.
Had a cracking couple of games, can be a bit inconsistent
Thorne. Small inside mid. Big work rate, tenacious at the ball. Good tackle numbers.
Runs all day! Size is a question
Barling. Played mid, but is a better half fwd. Strong mark and strong bodied. Had a few injuries. Kicks long and accurately
McGrath. Big bodied mid. Doesn't amass big possession, but closes down opposition with big defence and two way pressure running. Big tank.
Geddes. Small defender. Reads the play unfold before his opposite and shuts it down before it begins. Smart footballer. Not a big tackler, but defends well.
Parks. Defender. Don't think i have ever seen him come off a field beaten by his opposite. Great speed, agression and personal accountability. Good tank
Gaden. Another big unit who is learning the ruck trade well. Not super tall, but well built and contests at 18s well. Won't be big enough for ruck at AFL level, but plays as a fwd well too. Very capable.
Then there are a couple who will be running around in the NEAFL.
Namely Watling, a tough inside/outside mid who moves well and can play half fwd. Sometimes drifts out of games, but has had a fantastic NAB league. Size may be a worry.
Martin. Defender with an elite boot. Has good speed off the mark and reads the play well. Needs to develop more of a tank, but has also shown massive steps in the NAB.

Who will they take if they take any?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Atm they have a lot of smaller defenders/wings in NEAFL team, so that may limit the choice.
With Gulden and Campbell coming through in 2020, that will probably make it more difficult for the small fwds and wings this year too.
So the bigger bodied mids and fwds and kpp probably have a bit if an advantage.

But.... Beatson and crew may or may not see it as I do. So i guess we wait and see.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The 8 boys selected that are eligible for draft, are probably not 1st or 2nd round options.
Each brings different skills to the table, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 picked up in late rounds and 1 or 2 rookied.
Rayner. Prob highest profile, key big bodied defender, good intercept marking. Been a bit below par through champs. Good boot.
Ellam. Big unit, kpf, fast with a big left boot.
Had a cracking couple of games, can be a bit inconsistent
Thorne. Small inside mid. Big work rate, tenacious at the ball. Good tackle numbers.
Runs all day! Size is a question
Barling. Played mid, but is a better half fwd. Strong mark and strong bodied. Had a few injuries. Kicks long and accurately
McGrath. Big bodied mid. Doesn't amass big possession, but closes down opposition with big defence and two way pressure running. Big tank.
Geddes. Small defender. Reads the play unfold before his opposite and shuts it down before it begins. Smart footballer. Not a big tackler, but defends well.
Parks. Defender. Don't think i have ever seen him come off a field beaten by his opposite. Great speed, agression and personal accountability. Good tank
Gaden. Another big unit who is learning the ruck trade well. Not super tall, but well built and contests at 18s well. Won't be big enough for ruck at AFL level, but plays as a fwd well too. Very capable.
Then there are a couple who will be running around in the NEAFL.
Namely Watling, a tough inside/outside mid who moves well and can play half fwd. Sometimes drifts out of games, but has had a fantastic NAB league. Size may be a worry.
Martin. Defender with an elite boot. Has good speed off the mark and reads the play well. Needs to develop more of a tank, but has also shown massive steps in the NAB.

Who will they take if they take any?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Atm they have a lot of smaller defenders/wings in NEAFL team, so that may limit the choice.
With Gulden and Campbell coming through in 2020, that will probably make it more difficult for the small fwds and wings this year too.
So the bigger bodied mids and fwds and kpp probably have a bit if an advantage.

But.... Beatson and crew may or may not see it as I do. So i guess we wait and see.
As ever, a very good summary, mate. There’s always going to be some differences of opinion but this pretty much nails it :thumbsu:

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Allies has a list of 55 ?? It says the squad of 50.
Of that, 10 are underagers and 10 are over agers.
How many overagers are "allowed" to play? 2?
And you would assume that only 2 or 3 under agers would play per game.
So of the 35 players who are u18, you could assume that 18 will be chosen for each game.
Hopefully that means we will see at least 3 or 4 swans running around in each game.
Preferably more!
Hahaha.
Only 50 kids picked.
5 missing numbers down the list.
10 x 19s
30 x 18s
10 x 17s.

Came from behind :) :)
"Great day out for @liam.puncher_ and his u16 Academy mates Luke Giacometti (13) and Harrison Parker (23) when they came from behind to beat our cross-town rivals @gwsgiantsacademy on Saturday. Love the team spirit boys! "

The sweet taste of victory! Our U16s are on a high after a clean sweep of the Academy series against the @gwsgiantsacademy u16s. In today’s third and final game, the Swans won by 55 points.
It was an incredible team effort with 13 different goal kickers.
SWANS - 17:12:114
GIANTS - 9:5:59
GOALS - Ball 2, Wilson 2, Alker 2, Edwards 2, Last, McKenzie, Rogers, Taylor, Puncher, Woodford, Middleton, Smit, Endemann
BEST - Alker, Woodford, Crouch, Rogers, Puncher, Endemann, Taylor

The sweet taste of victory! Our U16s are on a high after a clean sweep of the Academy series against the @gwsgiantsacademy u16s. In today’s third and final game, the Swans won by 55 points.
It was an incredible team effort with 13 different goal kickers.
SWANS - 17:12:114
GIANTS - 9:5:59
GOALS - Ball 2, Wilson 2, Alker 2, Edwards 2, Last, McKenzie, Rogers, Taylor, Puncher, Woodford, Middleton, Smit, Endemann
BEST - Alker, Woodford, Crouch, Rogers, Puncher, Endemann, Taylor

Well done those youngsters.

Thanks SP.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Allies
b: Tom Griffiths - Nick Murray - Luke Parks
hb: Connor Budarick - Josh Rayner - Braeden Campbell
c: Matt McGrory - Will Martyn - Mitch O'Neill
hf: Oliver Davis - Liam Delahunty - Bruce Reville
f: Will Chandler - Hamish Ellam - Noah Cumberland
r: Samson Ryan - Tom Green - Sam Thorne
i: Jackson Barling - Sam Collins - Matt Conroy - Errol Gulden - Malcolm Rosas Jnr

Starts in 15 minutes. Very interested to see how the Swans in the side go.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Allies got absolutely spanked 116-19 by Vic Country yesterday. I only watched bits and pieces of the coverage but various reports suggest that of the Academy players only Sam Thorne had a reasonable game. There are likely to be a fair few changes for the next game so hopefully we don’t lose many of our boys and might get a few more in from the squad.

I could say so many things about picking favourites, State bias, picking players out of position, picking on reputation rather than form etc but I’ll hold my tongue for a few more games and see if lessons have been learnt.

Last edited:
Allies got absolutely spanked 116-19 by Vic Country yesterday. I only watched bits and pieces of the coverage but various reports suggest that of the Academy players only Sam Thorne had a reasonable game. There are likely to be a fair few changes for the next game so hopefully we don’t lose many of our boys and might get a few more in from the squad.

I could say so many things about picking favourites, State bias, picking players out of position, picking on reputation rather than form etc but I’ll hold my tongue for a few more games and see if lessons have been learnt.

wow... devastating result for all concerned.

Wishing the Allies all the best for game against WA

Of the local talent in the Allies team, which is made up of players from New South Wales, the ACT, the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Queensland, four changes have been made.
Jackson Barling, Will Chandler, Josh Rayner and Nicholas Murray all come out of the side, making way for Southern New South Wales’ Jeromy Lucas, Western Sydney’s James Peatling, and Sydney’s Sam Gaden and Nicholas Brewer.

The team will travel to South Australia for Round 3, playing at Alberton Oval on Saturday at 10.30am.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Some bad news about one of the Under 18 boys, Aidan Watling, who apparently ruptured an ACL last weekend. I thought he was very unlucky not to get into the Allies squad and I was hoping that he’d get a bit of a run in the Reserves. Tough blow in his draft year, he must be devastated.

Last edited:

Formguide

Draftee
Mar 14, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Be very hard to see the Allies turn 90 plus defeat around. You would think the team that played the other week would have been the best 24 in the squad in the coaches and selectors eyes. Around 9 changes for this game good luck to all playing.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Be very hard to see the Allies turn 90 plus defeat around. You would think the team that played the other week would have been the best 24 in the squad in the coaches and selectors eyes. Around 9 changes for this game good luck to all playing.
Especially since the ins and outs really changed nothing.
WA will be way too physical, not to mention put together as a balanced team.

Back