2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wishing the Allies all the best for game against WA

Of the local talent in the Allies team, which is made up of players from New South Wales, the ACT, the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Queensland, four changes have been made.
Jackson Barling, Will Chandler, Josh Rayner and Nicholas Murray all come out of the side, making way for Southern New South Wales’ Jeromy Lucas, Western Sydney’s James Peatling, and Sydney’s Sam Gaden and Nicholas Brewer.

The team will travel to South Australia for Round 3, playing at Alberton Oval on Saturday at 10.30am.
I’ve pretty much given up trying to understand the selections for the Allies - both the boys they select and what positions they play them in. Bewildering.

Last edited:
Allies defeat.
Delahunty. Played both games, offered nothing in defence, and hasn't made any impact in attack.
Ellam: Big target, worked up and down ground well, taken some good marks. Has lacked score board pressure, missing shots he HAS to make, and been easily pushed out.
Green, still working hard, but not a great deal of clean ball.
Campbell: 2 games, no impact.
Gulden. 2 games and way out of depth in both. Kicking has been very ineffective, no impact in defence.
Gaden: had an opportunity, and took it! Played well.
Peatling: made some good impacts, but kicking ineffective.
Thorne. Is always hard at, but kicking efficiency has been very poor. Always keen to tackle.
Brewer. Great chase down effort, but also sold the best hospital pass in the game. Very little impact.
Parkes. Always competitive. But seemed to be beaten today.
O'Neil. Worked hard and showed he is the real deal.
Rosas. Very flashy, fantastic attact, but no defensive pressure.
Budarick. Hard at, but better on the outside, no impact against bigger bodies.
Martyn. Worked and tackled all day.
Ace. Worked up and down the ground without making an impact.

Again, I don't expect many changes.
Sheehan and Power seem blind to the need to balance their team.

Last edited:

Allies defeat.
Delahunty. Played both games, offered nothing in defence, and hasn't made any impact in attack.
Ellam: Big target, worked up and down ground well, taken some good marks. Has lacked score board pressure, missing shots he HAS to make, and been easily pushed out.
Green, still working hard, but not a great deal of clean ball.
Campbell: 2 games, no impact.
Gulden. 2 games and way out of depth in both. Kicking has been very ineffective, no impact in defence.
Gaden: had an opportunity, and took it! Played well.
Peatling: made some good impacts, but kicking ineffective.
Thorne. Is always hard at, but kicking efficiency has been very poor. Always keen to tackle.
Brewer. Great chase down effort, but also sold the best hospital pass in the game. Very little impact.
Parkes. Always competitive. But seemed to be beaten today.
O'Neil. Worked hard and showed he is the real deal.
Rosas. Very flashy, fantastic attact, but no defensive pressure.
Budarick. Hard at, but better on the outside, no impact against bigger bodies.
Martyn. Worked and tackled all day.
Ace. Worked up and down the ground without making an impact.

Again, I don't expect many changes.
Sheehan and Power seem blind to the need to balance their team.

After having been named in All Australian team at u16 level I was so excited at the prospect that Gulden and Campbell would be two academy choices at the draft when time came. Am so disappointed that they have both fallen off a cliff as it were. For goodness sake, Gulden was MVP Australia wide at u16 level if i recall yet 1 year later he is totally out of his depth!!!??? Doesn't make sense. Shenanigans?

Last edited:
After having been named in All Australuan team at u16 level I was so excited at the prospect that Gulden and Campbell would be two academy choices at the draft when time came. Am so disappointed that they have both fallen off a cliff as it were. Shenanigans?

More just playing as underage players against a better team.

Was always going to be difficult to have an impact.

I'm not sure. However I doubt the swans rate the allies much based on the press they have issued in recent years. It seems the allies manage to take good players who perform strongly within an academy context and cause their performance to drop off. If there were shenanigans from the swans surely they would not perform for the academy.

I think it is more that the coaches and selectors for the allies are not held to account for their performance. If they were there would be a new group of coaches. I think they need to refresh the coaching staff who have been doing a poor job for a number of years.

Last edited:
After having been named in All Australian team at u16 level I was so excited at the prospect that Gulden and Campbell would be two academy choices at the draft when time came. Am so disappointed that they have both fallen off a cliff as it were. For goodness sake, Gulden was MVP Australia wide at u16 level if i recall yet 1 year later he is totally out of his depth!!!??? Doesn't make sense. Shenanigans?
No.
Gulden is excellent if he has time and space.
So against 16 year olds, he does.
Against 18 year olds in a team where nobody is able to provide him with clean ball because they aren't big enough, and he is not willing to throw his 65kg around trying to get it, he is rushed and ineffective.
But, he has a left boot that I compare to the Rodger Federer backhand if allowed.
Campbell was played out of position vs Country, and had little impact vs WA.
He kicked some good goals in TAC cup, but then thought every kick should be at goal, rather then looking to pass.
Both boys are pint sized, and will be expected to be a force next year.
And I think that they may have read a bit much of the hype surrouding themselves.

No.
Against 18 year olds in a team where nobody is able to provide him with clean ball because they aren't big enough, and he is not willing to throw his 65kg around trying to get it, he is rushed and ineffective.
But, he has a left boot that I compare to the Rodger Federer backhand if allowed.
He kicked some good goals in TAC cup, but then thought every kick should be at goal, rather then looking to pass.
And I think that they may have read a bit much of the hype surrouding themselves.

Thank you so much for that view at the coal face. Appreciated and interesting. Oh crap even when I was 18, I hovered around 80kg, so 65kg is tiny. lol.

No.
Good summary. However I was watching Cody Hirst playing NEAFL on the weekend. He is about 63kg and was smashing into it against men. Obviously Gulden has to transition to playing against men and this is often a tricky process, but he should be able to perform at under 18s level if he is a top 10 draft pick.

Thank you so much for that view at the coal face. Appreciated and interesting. Oh crap even when I was 18, I hovered around 80kg, so 65kg is tiny. lol.
Pint sized.
Size can be a non-issue, but he won't tackle or crash in.

No.
Gulden likes playing out on the fat side where he can use time and space. If the Allies wanted a player to contribute more inside they should have selected Ky McGrath who’s as close to an inside bull as we’ve got.

Campbell is a good player but playing him on the half-back line in game 1 was a joke. Particularly when we could provide two highly accomplished half-backs in Max Geddes and Kyle Martin, both of whom would provide much more impact there.

Edit: apologies Blood red I just realised I repeated your point about Gulden liking time and space :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Gulden likes playing out on the fat side where he can use time and space. If the Allies wanted a player to contribute more inside they should have selected Ky McGrath who’s as close to an inside bull as we’ve got.

Campbell is a good player but playing him on the half-back line in game 1 was a joke. Particularly when we could provide two highly accomplished half-backs in Max Geddes and Kyle Martin, both of whom would provide much more impact there.

Edit: apologies Blood red I just realised I repeated your point about Gulden liking time and space :rolleyes:
I agree, the allies selectors and coaches seem to always play people out of position. I really do not think they know what they are doing. Sheehan is way over rated. For a guy that is supposed to be the young talent expert he seems to always play favorites and is too lazy to properly get to know non Victorian players.

I would really like to see the coaches changed out for the Allies and some new blood brought in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree with your backline analysis.
I liked McGrath , but maybe Barling first.

Team for Friday’s Allies game against Vic Metro has been announced (with thanks to Chris25 on the AFL Under 18s Championship thread).

Allies
b: Luke Parks - Dirk Koenen - Tom Griffiths
hb: Matt McGrory - Liam Delahunty - Joel Jeffrey
c: James Peatling - Connor Budarick - Mitch O'Neill
hf: Noah Cumberland - Joshua Gore - Hewago Paul Oea
f: Jake Steele - Hamish Ellam - Sam Thorne
r: Benjamin Kelly- Tom Green - Ben Jungfer
i: Nicholas Brewer - Braden Campbell - Ashton Crossley - Errol Gulden - Jeromy Lucas - Will Martyn - Malcolm Rosas Jnr

Interesting, no recalls for Barling or Rayner. Campbell and Gulden continue to get selected as small 17 year olds and Nick Brewer somehow manages to keep his spot. Also, Sam Gaden is out injured.

Team for Friday’s Allies game against Vic Metro has been announced (with thanks to Chris25 on the AFL Under 18s Championship thread).

Allies
i: Nicholas Brewer - Braden Campbell - Ashton Crossley - Errol Gulden - Jeromy Lucas - Will Martyn - Malcolm Rosas Jnr

Interesting, no recalls for Barling or Rayner. Campbell and Gulden continue to get selected as small 17 year olds and Nick Brewer somehow manages to keep his spot. Also, Sam Gaden is out injured.
And funny how Dalrymple explained that Campbell has a lovely boot, but hadn't done much in the championships.
Interesting what he mentioned about a few others too.
So I guess the recruiters have a different view of things compared to the coaches/selectors.
Just unfortunate that it is obvious to most that there are several players performing well below expectation and remain in the team at the detriment of others.

Swans Academy’s Toby Alker, who showed great leadership as captain of the NSW-ACT Rams U16 side when they played Queensland in the AFL National Championships

Jordan Endemann who was all class playing for NSW-ACT Rams U16s against Queensland in the AFL National Championships

Allies

Campbell has been omitted from the final team (along with GWS’ Jeromy Lucas). The final game is at Marvel Stadium on Wednesday so it’s possible Campbell will be back in for that one.

Allies beat the Big V U18s

PARKS plays great in defence and both GULDEN & ELLEM kick 2 goals each. GULDEN 2nd best

I didn’t see the game but that has to be a big tick for Gulden to perform well on the big stage in a winning side over the likes of Rowell & Anderson.

Also it doesn't surprise me Gulden struggled in the first two games as he is potentially 18 months younger than a lot of the boys playing out there in the Under 18's, and at that age that makes a big difference. Great that he seems to be getting better when new challenges present themselves.

U18 Allies v Vic metro
VIC METRO 2.0 5.1 6.4 10.8 (68)
ALLIES 4.0 5.2 10.3 11.4 (70)
GOALS
Vic Metro:
Mahony 3, Bergman, Jeka, Jones, Rossiter, Rowell, Sturgess, Williams
Allies: Gore 3, Ellem 2, Gulden 2, Rosas 2, Green, Oea
BEST
Vic Metro:
McGuinness, Rowell, Mahony, McAsey, Anderson, Bergman
Allies: Green, Gulden, Gore, Parks, Cumberland, Peatling

Replays by quarters