2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I don't agree with some of the very negative posts in the last three pages. I do however respect the right of people to post their honestly held views and I am happy to take them on board. I think you would find people who have been burnt or feel they have been burnt by every elite sports program in every sport. I've heard the same criticisms in the context of olympic programs where you would expect everything is as good as it can be.

The fact is that assessing talent is incredibly subjective and ever changing. A 12 year old gun may be an 18 year old dud. An 18 year old gun might be missing unseen critical elements that render him not draftable. Also the swans academy and the swans might simply get it wrong and make mistakes.

What I do know is that a player has to own his own future and concentrate only on the things he can control. Great examples include guys like Angus Baker who has been knocked back several times with injuries yet keeps performing at a level that suggests he should be drafted.

As a parent I know I have to teach my kid to own the outcomes and not blame the system or others. When his time is up, whether reasonable or a mistake, it is up to him to regroup and move forward, even if that means not achieving AFL level.

Absolutely terrific post. It is very hard for kids and their folks in life in general as well as sport.

Sounds like a lot of overrating of players without a lot of evidence. The vast majority of underage players are never going to amount to anything, we don't need to form rowdy mobs and march on the academy staff when these underage players turn out to not be draftable. They're competing against hundreds and thousands of others in the rest of the country too

Sounds like a lot of overrating of players without a lot of evidence. The vast majority of underage players are never going to amount to anything, we don't need to form rowdy mobs and march on the academy staff when these underage players turn out to not be draftable. They're competing against hundreds and thousands of others in the rest of the country too

ohh but I just washed my rowdy mob pants

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The rating of these players came from the Swans.
The player rookied with Bell would have been ranked about 15 in the same group.
Many of the boys who have played NEAFL are as skilled and often tougher then the other drafted interstate players.
And No, I have no agenda, my son didn't make the cut, but remains good mates with many of them.
There are no sour grapes.
Raynor was All Australian.
This group continually closed down Delahunty and Green, both who are heading to the combine.
Went 4 and 1 in the TAC/ academy series!
10 into the Allies, 8 of whom are 18.
They will need probably 12 of the 19s to hang around next year to give this years 17s a hope in hell at the nats.
More 18s are currently playing NEAFL then this years current NDS group.
They are a very capable crew, who play the brand of footy where they play for each other and this means that they don't glory seek or burn their team mates.
Not sexy, but hard to beat.
Maybe that is the problem??

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Incredible number of top ups got a run this year!

NameNeafl
Aidan WATLING1
Braeden CAMPBELL2
Connor FLANAGAN7
Cooper KILPATRICK12
Cooper WILSON1
Daniel RYALL1
Hamish ELLEM3
Harry MAGUIRE3
Isaiah OLSEN2
Jack WILLIS1
Jackson BARLING6
Jacob DOL2
James BRAIN1
Jeremy SHUMACK1
Johnny PAWLE9
Josh RAYNER5
Ky MCGRATH4
Kyle MARTIN4
Kyle McKELLAR14
Kyle VEERHUIS5
Lachlan SWANEY4
Luke PARKS2
Marc SHEATHER2
Marco ROSSMANN1
Matthew BELBASIS2
Max GEDDES5
Nathan COXALL1
Nicholas BREWER7
Noah CASALINI1
Pierce ROSEBY1
Reed VAN HUISSTEDE2
Rory BARKLEY13
Sam EYNAUD1
Sam THORNE3
Samuel GADEN4
Thomas BAXTER1
Thomas DRUM1
Thomas TYSON3
Zac YOULTEN2
Zach CAMERON1

The rating of these players came from the Swans.
The player rookied with Bell would have been ranked about 15 in the same group.
Many of the boys who have played NEAFL are as skilled and often tougher then the other drafted interstate players.
And No, I have no agenda, my son didn't make the cut, but remains good mates with many of them.
There are no sour grapes.
Raynor was All Australian.
This group continually closed down Delahunty and Green, both who are heading to the combine.
Went 4 and 1 in the TAC/ academy series!
10 into the Allies, 8 of whom are 18.
They will need probably 12 of the 19s to hang around next year to give this years 17s a hope in hell at the nats.
More 18s are currently playing NEAFL then this years current NDS group.
They are a very capable crew, who play the brand of footy where they play for each other and this means that they don't glory seek or burn their team mates.
Not sexy, but hard to beat.
Maybe that is the problem??
Thanks so much for your posts.

NameNeafl
Aidan WATLING1
Braeden CAMPBELL2
Connor FLANAGAN7
Cooper KILPATRICK12
Cooper WILSON1
Daniel RYALL1
Hamish ELLEM3
Harry MAGUIRE3
Isaiah OLSEN2
Jack WILLIS1
Jackson BARLING6
Jacob DOL2
James BRAIN1
Jeremy SHUMACK1
Johnny PAWLE9
Josh RAYNER5
Ky MCGRATH4
Kyle MARTIN4
Kyle McKELLAR14
Kyle VEERHUIS5
Lachlan SWANEY4
Luke PARKS2
Marc SHEATHER2
Marco ROSSMANN1
Matthew BELBASIS2
Max GEDDES5
Nathan COXALL1
Nicholas BREWER7
Noah CASALINI1
Pierce ROSEBY1
Reed VAN HUISSTEDE2
Rory BARKLEY13
Sam EYNAUD1
Sam THORNE3
Samuel GADEN4
Thomas BAXTER1
Thomas DRUM1
Thomas TYSON3
Zac YOULTEN2
Zach CAMERON1

Thanks a lot for that Ralphyboy. You are right. It is an incredible number of youngsters who have been cycled through. A significant number have impressed.

I had forgotten about Pawle, who impressed early on. I wonder if he has been injured.

Kilpatrrick, McKellar, Shumack (mainly last year - injured?), Barclay, Brewer, Barling (lots of Bs), Rayner and Veerhuis (also injured?) are among those possessing plenty of skill and promise.

Drafting is an inexact science but you can be assured that every U18 player in the northern states has been well scouted by most teams and ranked against all the other U18 across the country.

If our academy fails to produce any draftees in any year then that's just how they really do rank. Given that these overlooked players often go onto the second tier comps to play but still don't get drafted as mature age players, the U18 ranking was therefore correct you'd say.

Have the Swans not drafted an academy player who has subsequently gone on to prove they were AFL standard? I can't think of any.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Drafting is an inexact science but you can be assured that every U18 player in the northern states has been well scouted by most teams and ranked against all the other U18 across the country.

If our academy fails to produce any draftees in any year then that's just how they really do rank. Given that these overlooked players often go onto the second tier comps to play but still don't get drafted as mature age players, the U18 ranking was therefore correct you'd say.

Have the Swans not drafted an academy player who has subsequently gone on to prove they were AFL standard? I can't think of any.

Jake brown

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

Agreed.

If you look at any sport in any country, there are always people within the development process who feel hard done by, there are always complaints of nepotism and favouritism, of good players not getting enough opportunity etc. etc. There will be an element of truth to this, because no human organisation is perfect, but these criticisms are also often coming from people who are too close to things to make an objective evaluation of whats going on. So you need to take it with a grain of salt.

I find it pretty much impossible to believe that the Swans Academy has 10 players in it in a single year who warrant drafting on to an AFL list, as has been claimed.

To put that number in context, the Oakleigh Charges won the TAC Cup last year and had 10 players drafted across the AFL, Rookie and Preseason Drafts. They beat the Dandenong Stingrays in the Grand Final, they had 8 players drafted. The losing semi finalists had 6 (Sandringham) and 3 (Gippsland). The whole of the SANFL produced 20 draftees. The whole of the WAFL produced just 14.

In the context of those numbers, getting 10 players worth drafting out of the Swans academy would be pretty remarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks Ralph. That table makes for some interesting reading.
Are a couple of the 19s injured? Overlooked? Or just pulled the pin?

Cynic2019

Draftee
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed.

If you look at any sport in any country, there are always people within the development process who feel hard done by, there are always complaints of nepotism and favouritism, of good players not getting enough opportunity etc. etc. There will be an element of truth to this, because no human organisation is perfect, but these criticisms are also often coming from people who are too close to things to make an objective evaluation of whats going on. So you need to take it with a grain of salt.

I find it pretty much impossible to believe that the Swans Academy has 10 players in it in a single year who warrant drafting on to an AFL list, as has been claimed.

To put that number in context, the Oakleigh Charges won the TAC Cup last year and had 10 players drafted across the AFL, Rookie and Preseason Drafts. They beat the Dandenong Stingrays in the Grand Final, they had 8 players drafted. The losing semi finalists had 6 (Sandringham) and 3 (Gippsland). The whole of the SANFL produced 20 draftees. The whole of the WAFL produced just 14.

In the context of those numbers, getting 10 players worth drafting out of the Swans academy would be pretty remarkable.

Cynic2019

Draftee
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think you make an excellent point. It makes sense.
My point is, there is some great talent, let down by some very negegitve coaching and game style. That didn't showcase anything. The boys, if transplanted into a TAC cup environment, would have had a far better chance. Considering the fuss made of this group, it's been a disaster. I'm not saying any of them are entitled, far from it. They just never stood a chance.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

NameNeafl
Aidan WATLING1
Braeden CAMPBELL2
Connor FLANAGAN7
Cooper KILPATRICK12
Cooper WILSON1
Daniel RYALL1
Hamish ELLEM3
Harry MAGUIRE3
Isaiah OLSEN2
Jack WILLIS1
Jackson BARLING6
Jacob DOL2
James BRAIN1
Jeremy SHUMACK1
Johnny PAWLE9
Josh RAYNER5
Ky MCGRATH4
Kyle MARTIN4
Kyle McKELLAR14
Kyle VEERHUIS5
Lachlan SWANEY4
Luke PARKS2
Marc SHEATHER2
Marco ROSSMANN1
Matthew BELBASIS2
Max GEDDES5
Nathan COXALL1
Nicholas BREWER7
Noah CASALINI1
Pierce ROSEBY1
Reed VAN HUISSTEDE2
Rory BARKLEY13
Sam EYNAUD1
Sam THORNE3
Samuel GADEN4
Thomas BAXTER1
Thomas DRUM1
Thomas TYSON3
Zac YOULTEN2
Zach CAMERON1
So, it could be assumed from this table, that Brewer is the premier Swans 18 year old?
He is a good player.....BUT.... maybe...

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hmmm.
So why so many neafl games?
Surely he must be going to be picked up in the draft with this much support?
Gosh, it’s a real mystery isn’t it - and not just Reserves games, Allies games too. Perhaps it’s something to do with that old adage ‘You don’t need to be rated by lots of people, just the right people [person]’.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
In other news, in the NAB league Gulden is averaging 27 possies (20 k8cks, 7hb), 6 marks, 2 tackles, 2 r50s, 8 i50s and 1.3 goals a game.

Very tidy so far.

Edit: those looking for stats it is in the nableague app. Bit finicky but worth it

Last edited:
Back