2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this article was posted or not but I noticed this bit...

The Academy has unearthed two young players more than 200cm tall, and Crouch is looking forward to seeing how the developing ruckmen perform against the Giants this week.

Frane Babic and Lachlan McAndrew have only recently entered the Academy program, with Babic coming from a basketball background, and McAndrew a former rugby union player.

The Academy has unearthed two young players more than 200cm tall, and Crouch is looking forward to seeing how the developing ruckmen perform against the Giants this week.

Frane Babic and Lachlan McAndrew have only recently entered the Academy program, with Babic coming from a basketball background, and McAndrew a former rugby union player.

Unfortunately the streaming service was unreliable so many of us could not see much of the second game yesterday.
Top End: Swans - 13.8.87 Giants - 5.4.34 Goals - R.van Huisstede 4, L.Puncher 3, P.Roseby 2, B.Campbell, A.Ball, O.Bird, N.Brewer.

I like former Rugby Union players who become ruckmen, especially if they are Canadian.

Unfortunately the streaming service was unreliable so many of us could not see much of the second game yesterday.
Top End: Swans - 13.8.87 Giants - 5.4.34 Goals - R.van Huisstede 4, L.Puncher 3, P.Roseby 2, B.Campbell, A.Ball, O.Bird, N.Brewer.

Also Thorn is really putting his hand up to be drafted as well.

Basic looked ok but mcandrew was rough as.

Kick was bad but shoukd come with time

And if they scored a try against the All Blacks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Great to see all this reminiscing about a gun who makes Naismith look like a potato :hearteyes:

Good to see Thorne up in the best again. I'm really getting to like him as a player. He's tough at it and has pretty sound skills.

Good to see Thorne up in the best again. I'm really getting to like him as a player. He's tough at it and has pretty sound skills.
Agreed, he’s consistently been one of the best performers in his age group. As you say, very hard at the ball and gets a fair bit of it. He’s also a very good runner and does very well in the 2km time trials. He also shows good leadership potential and was captain of the previous year’s U18 team.

Only issues that might hold him back are his small size and that his kicking in general play can be a little inaccurate at times.

Last edited:
Thorne has impressed me in both games. Seems like a good inside mid. He has clean hands, good at the contest and excellent workrate.

I think he has been unlucky. If he had a full season of NEAFL, consistent performances against the other AFL reserves sides could have helped get him a rookie spot. I think he was meant to be an NDS player so would have got to train with the seniors if covid had not happened. Which would have given him another opportunity to impress.

Also unlucky timing to be overshadowed by the emergence of Gulden/Campbell. Which might have made the club hesitate to draft another small academy midfielder.

Thorne has impressed me in both games. Seems like a good inside mid. He has clean hands, good at the contest and excellent workrate.

I think he has been unlucky. If he had a full season of NEAFL, consistent performances against the other AFL reserves sides could have helped get him a rookie spot. I think he was meant to be an NDS player so would have got to train with the seniors if covid had not happened. Which would have given him another opportunity to impress.

Also unlucky timing to be overshadowed by the emergence of Gulden/Campbell. Which might have made the club hesitate to draft another small academy midfielder.
He did play a couple practice matches in the seniors pre-covid. But as you say, he's a bit stiff to be having to strutt his stuff alongside two of the best small mids in the country, he may got to another club like Will Martyn from Brisbane but I'm no club recruiter.

He also regularly hits the scoreboard in the prems comp, which is with and against men some with AFL experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back