2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I am happy we gave a chance to Sheather. With 2 Cat B spots I think we should be trying to rookie at least one academy player per year and try to give them 2 years on the list.

Even if most of don't make it, I think the opportunity still has to exist.
We've gotten a lot better at it than before. In the last 4 years we've rookie'd 4 academy players via cat B.

'13, '14, '15 & '16 we rookied Perry, Foote, Murray & Fisher - all NSW boys

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I am happy we gave a chance to Sheather. With 2 Cat B spots I think we should be trying to rookie at least one academy player per year and try to give them 2 years on the list.

Agree. There's no point in a pathway that dead ends at 17. No incentive at all. The Mills, Campbell etc will always get drafted but the next rank also need encouragement. Just think of the number of jewels we have unearthed from our rookies. Rampe, Lloyd and Papley in this team.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

We now have a VFL team that means the pathway can continue beyond 17 for many more players each year without bringing them on to the AFL list.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
We now have a VFL team that means the pathway can continue beyond 17 for many more players each year without bringing them on to the AFL list.
Not the same kudos as being on the AFL list.
First prize is being drafted
Second prize is rookie drafted, Cat A
Third Cat B
VEAFL is fourth prize, equal to SANFL say. Best part is you get to stay in Sydney.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Not the same kudos as being on the AFL list.
First prize is being drafted
Second prize is rookie drafted, Cat A
Third Cat B
VEAFL is fourth prize, equal to SANFL say. Best part is you get to stay in Sydney.
Being in the Swans VEAFL team isn't equal to being in the SANFL. For starters, it is a higher quality league which will have better exposure. Secondly, the players don't have to relocate. Thirdly, they stay within their pre-existing development path with the Swans, working with the senior coaches and players on the roles that the club sees them as best filling.

I'm sure players would prefer to be drafted on to an AFL list than be on the VEAFL list, but when it comes to extended development for players who don't warrant immediate drafting at 18 it is a significant improvement to their opportunities to ultimately make the grade.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Being in the Swans VEAFL team isn't equal to being in the SANFL. For starters, it is a higher quality league which will have better exposure. Secondly, the players don't have to relocate. Thirdly, they stay within their pre-existing development path with the Swans, working with the senior coaches and players on the roles that the club sees them as best filling.

I'm sure players would prefer to be drafted on to an AFL list than be on the VEAFL list, but when it comes to extended development for players who don't warrant immediate drafting at 18 it is a significant improvement to their opportunities to ultimately make the grade.
You have laid it out very nicely. I agree with you and Kiama Chris. The players have better options going forward than under the previous system.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Jackson Barling has joined the Northern Bullants in the VFL.

"(Bullants coach Josh) Fraser was looking forward to helping him reach his potential.
“Jackson’s a really solid inside mid or half-forward,” he said.
“He’s another player we identified that we could bring into the footy club and help his development and give him the best chance possible to pursue his footy goals.”

As an overager one guy who clearly was affected by the shortened season in 2020.
Strong hands, but as a midsized forward probably needed the opportunity to demonstrate a bit more. I recall him getting a run previously in the midfield, without much impact.

Be interesting to know if there was a conversation about a spot on our reserves list.
Best of luck to him anyway.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I’ve been told that Sam Gaden from the Academy 2019 draft year has joined the players from his year who’ve moved down to Adelaide to play in the SANFL - I think at South but I’m not sure on that. That makes five from that draft year who’ve gone down there. I was also told that a sixth player from that year is currently trialing down there at the moment.

When you then consider that Jacko Barling and, I believe, Lachie Swany are with the Northen Bullants in the VFL (or whatever it’s called now) that’s a fairly impressive number of young men from that year who are trying their luck interstate (plus those who’ve stayed at home and are hoping to play for the Swans Reserves). Best of luck to all of them!

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I’ve been told that Sam Gaden from the Academy 2019 draft year has joined the players from his year who’ve moved down to Adelaide to play in the SANFL - I think at South but I’m not sure on that. That makes five from that draft year who’ve gone down there. I was also told that a sixth player from that year is currently trialing down there at the moment.

When you then consider that Jacko Barling and, I believe, Lachie Swany are with the Northen Bullants in the VFL (or whatever it’s called now) that’s a fairly impressive number of young men from that year who are trying their luck interstate (plus those who’ve stayed at home and are hoping to play for the Swans Reserves). Best of luck to all of them!
It is great news that the local Swans are good enough to make it in the interstate comps. Makes us more viable to retain more kids out of our academy into the Swans VFL and into local Aussie rules teams in future years.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Cal Twomey article regarding Northern Academy draft prospects;

Fresh from a bumper Academy crop that netted them top-five pick Braeden Campbell, gun midfielder Errol Gulden and rookie Marc Sheather, the Swans don't have the same top-enders available in 2021.
Marco Rossman, a running midfielder who was eligible for last year's draft, will be an option while Austin Ball, a small forward with sharp skills, key forward Liam Puncher and runner Felix Rogers also among those likely to be monitored.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Thing is due to Covid last year we don't really know what we have in terms of prospects. 18 months ago Campbell was very much a "maybe he will get drafted" sort of player.
These are players who have been in the academy system for years. I expect the Swans recruitment team have a good idea of where the academy kids are at, but outside the inner circle we'll be a little blind.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Thing is due to Covid last year we don't really know what we have in terms of prospects. 18 months ago Campbell was very much a "maybe he will get drafted" sort of player.
might also be nice (occasionally) to not be tied to academy players and unleash Dalrymple.
Im thinking we'll go to the draft again this year and be only minor players in the trade period.. but who knows??

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
might also be nice (occasionally) to not be tied to academy players and unleash Dalrymple.
Im thinking we'll go to the draft again this year and be only minor players in the trade period.. but who knows??
There are some big guns in the Free Agent crop this year. With Buddy's salary still in it may be a bridge too far but we certainly should be exploring. Especially if the Academy crop is thinner as suggested.

There are some big guns in the Free Agent crop this year. With Buddy's salary still in it may be a bridge too far but we certainly should be exploring. Especially if the Academy crop is thinner as suggested.
it's going to get thicker next year (2022 draft) got some very good players there.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m not clear on what you mean by that first comment. How are we “tied to academy players”?

Last year was very much the exception with regards to the number of Academy players we selected.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m not clear on what you mean by that first comment. How are we “tied to academy players”?

Last year was very much the exception with regards to the number of Academy players we selected.
When theres a quality academy player, we take them (for a variety of reasons), ie, Campbell, Gulden, Blakey, Mills, Heeney - theres a lot of recent top picks. It means we dont take the player/type of player/position that we might have otherwise.
eg.. If we finish with p10 last year. All of our picks go towards Campbell and Gulden and we probably have a late pick to choose from the draft pool. If Campbell and Gulden dont exist, then we take a mid 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round player from the pool with free reign to choose what type of player we want/need
Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of the Academy and this year am just as excited about Sheather as the other two (Good size and one of the quickest in this years draft)
We're not tied to the academy, we want the best players available....
We are tied in a way. We want to support the Academy.. We get those players on the cheap.. makes sense to match the bids and we always do.
hypothetical.. Next draft we might have a top 10 academy kid who plays small forward, but our genuine need is a tall defender. History says we pick the academy kid with our early picks and get a tall defender later in the draft.

Theres been a lot of praise for Dalrymple and his ability, just saying it will be nice to see his work

Back