2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden has caused this from 1 game really? its pretty funny.

Gulden is just another straw on the camels back,

The victards will completely ignore the other 700 kids in the academy who didn't make it when banging on about the academy being terrible for the equality of the competition.

Simultaneously ignoring their own ludicrous advantages. (Not withstanding that Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton are shithouse with all of those advantages as well).

The victards will completely ignore the other 700 kids in the academy who didn't make it when banging on about the academy being terrible for the equality of the competition.

Simultaneously ignoring their own ludicrous advantages. (Not withstanding that Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton are shithouse with all of those advantages as well).
And the main thing that Victorians will not recognise is that hundreds of Swans academy (and other academies) players that do not make it onto an AFL list are bolstering the local leagues and other state leagues. The talent pool is being made stronger. Therefore the competitions are stronger at all levels. If you take away the academies the game will stagnate in the non AFL states.
The day when we cannot afford to draft all academy players because we dont have enough points, that is the day when the kids coming out of our academy we will not have priority access to. That may be in 20 years, because then we will be another"AFL" state.

Its apparently also our fault that North passed on Logan Mcdonald i struggle to understand what exactly do they want from Northern clubs? last 10 years its been a Hawthorn dynasty followed by a Richmond dynasty.

Its apparently also our fault that North passed on Logan Mcdonald i struggle to understand what exactly do they want from Northern clubs? last 10 years its been a Hawthorn dynasty followed by a Richmond dynasty.

And before that Geelong winning 3 in 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gulden has caused this from 1 game really? its pretty funny.
The funny thing is that even if the rules regarding the NGA's applied to the Northen Academies (which is an argument I can understand) we'd still have priority access to him.

Campbell? OK I can see the whinging to some degree. But Gulden? Blame yourself for not rating him higher.

There's definitely a "know your place" sort of mentality amongst some Vics. Like they think they've got a god's given right to dominate the competition because they had the decency to "invite" teams to them (which can be argued as more of an invasion, but w/e)

I can't bring myself to open the thread on the MB, but I do think the guy that opened it knew what was going to happen if he did, right? Unless it was based on some media flog bagging it. Which I haven't seen.

The main argument is that the Swans shouldn't have access to academy players. They ignore this is also why the academies have been successful.

Why can't the AFL run their own academies?
They have, for 2+ decades to no success.

I'd be happy to remove the discount for draft matching

Yeah a lot of people need to remember that the Academies were bought in (IIRC) because of the failure of the NSW Scholarship program. Which actually was open to everyone.

And the main thing that Victorians will not recognise is that hundreds of Swans academy (and other academies) players that do not make it onto an AFL list are bolstering the local leagues and other state leagues. The talent pool is being made stronger. Therefore the competitions are stronger at all levels. If you take away the academies the game will stagnate in the non AFL states.
The day when we cannot afford to draft all academy players because we dont have enough points, that is the day when the kids coming out of our academy we will not have priority access to. That may be in 20 years, because then we will be another"AFL" state.

Plus they and their families become lifelong swans supporters

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plus they and their families become lifelong swans supporters

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Apparently Gulden would have been lost to soccer without the Swans Academy.
Heeney to Rugby League or soccer.
Mills to Rugby Union
etc
Kids are looking at AFL as the "cool sport".

I grew up in NSW and AFL was not cool.

Apparently Gulden would have been lost to soccer without the Swans Academy.
Heeney to Rugby League or soccer.
Mills to Rugby Union
etc
Kids are looking at AFL as the "cool sport".

I grew up in NSW and AFL was not cool.

When I was in school, most of us didn't know the rules.

(after all the changes, I'm still confused).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't bring myself to open the thread on the MB, but I do think the guy that opened it knew what was going to happen if he did, right? Unless it was based on some media flog bagging it. Which I haven't seen.
Which thread are you referring to?

The guy who created the thread is a Swans fan too.
Well yeah that was my point. It's best to avoid wanking about the academy as that's basically throwing a match on a stack of gasoline.
Which thread are you referring to?
Sydney Swans Academy.

Totally agree. The academies are NOT about Errol Gulden, but about the other several hundred kids in that year who do not play League footy.

The thing that doesn't get talked about re the academies is what I call statewide footy IQ.
Some years ago when I took my eldest son to Auskick, one of the dads was trying to teach handball. Good on him for volunteering but he had NFI whatsoever and told me he had never played the game. That would not happen in Victoria, where there are a gazillion dads who played the game at very high levels, teaching their kids. So, in Victoria there is a high footy IQ, with kids having access to good coaching at all levels.
That is not the case in NSW. The academy boys will become dads, and pass on that knowledge. So the standard of junior coaching in NSW will naturally improve. That means the skills of the kids will be better. That means that the number of kids talented enough to play League footy will increase.
Thus, the academies increase the general footy IQ of NSW, which means participation rates, as players and supporters will increase, and that can only be a good thing.
In the meantime, the Northern Academies provide the footy IQ that is not within the community. This is the fundamental point that Victorians don't seem to understand.

Totally agree. The academies are NOT about Errol Gulden, but about the other several hundred kids in that year who do not play League footy.

The thing that doesn't get talked about re the academies is what I call statewide footy IQ.
Some years ago when I took my eldest son to Auskick, one of the dads was trying to teach handball. Good on him for volunteering but he had NFI whatsoever and told me he had never played the game. That would not happen in Victoria, where there are a gazillion dads who played the game at very high levels, teaching their kids. So, in Victoria there is a high footy IQ, with kids having access to good coaching at all levels.
That is not the case in NSW. The academy boys will become dads, and pass on that knowledge. So the standard of junior coaching in NSW will naturally improve. That means the skills of the kids will be better. That means that the number of kids talented enough to play League footy will increase.
Thus, the academies increase the general footy IQ of NSW, which means participation rates, as players and supporters will increase, and that can only be a good thing.
In the meantime, the Northern Academies provide the footy IQ that is not within the community. This is the fundamental point that Victorians don't seem to understand.
I played junior footy in the 90s. Out of all the parents only my dad & the coach had played AFL before, all others had played soccer, league or rugby. I could never kick and between my dad & the coach they couldn't find a way to teach me how to kick no matter how much they repeated the same instruction. Never had the same issue playing soccer, plenty of parents were able to tell me how to improve, show me how to run into space and improve my kicking, heading, and tackling.

I’ve had a few days off to calm because I’d had enough over the years regarding the academy. I find the majority of supporters in Melbourne who follow vic clubs uneducated dumb ignorant pricktoreans who have no understanding about aussie rules outside of the Melbourne cbd.

Seriously the solution regularly advanced is give elite development back to the AFL who going by their track record are pathetically terrible at running junior development. It’s why WA/SA hold onto their system with dear life knowing what could happen by looking at the barren waistland that is Tasmania now.

Also Why would some kids parents living in Cronulla even consider putting their kids in an academy that possibly takes their child away from them when they’re older. All the work & training to say good bye to them. Ffs you’d rather encourage their schooling and have them stay in the same state as you. Or the alternative, if they’re so good at sport they’ll put them in another sport. Like I said on the MB....a bunch of DiPs.

Seriously the solution regularly advanced is give elite development back to the AFL who going by their track record are pathetically terrible at running junior development. It’s why WA/SA hold onto their system with dear life knowing what could happen by looking at the barren waistland that is Tasmania now.
It's worth looking at what the AFL is doing at the current elite development pathways. They are being gutted left & right. Pathways in Vic are being run by the private schools and unless you have access to send your boys to a private school their chance of being drafted is getting smaller and smaller. The AFL is not interested in supplying pathways to the AFL - only TV ratings

It's worth looking at what the AFL is doing at the current elite development pathways. They are being gutted left & right. Pathways in Vic are being run by the private schools and unless you have access to send your boys to a private school their chance of being drafted is getting smaller and smaller. The AFL is not interested in supplying pathways to the AFL - only TV ratings

Exactly. It’s just an absolute joke that the old “give it to the AFL” line continually gets trotted out. They run an elite competition pretty well in that they achieve their objectives but if you look at their management level below that it’s deplorable. The private school boys club are turning junior development in Victoria into what has hampered union for a long time, a private school system that makes your catchment smaller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back