2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be too long to cover it but there is no equality in the AFL, much like life.

# Vic players get big fees on footy shows, media and endorsements

# Vic players family members work for sponsors or persons linked to their club. (Unconfirmed)
* Swans have to sack Errols mums thou*

# Vic players got millions pumped into U18s comp for their development. Do they pump money into SA or WA u18s, maybe some or nothing.

# Vic players got ads. Hawks group on vitamins ad, Cotchin and Bont AAMI, likely so many more.

# 'Come home' factor: any Melburnian and some from the far flung area of Victoria have claimed 'spending time with family' Wodonga, Warrnambool, Swan Hill, etc Smaller WA factor, Nil for NSW, QLD, SA

# I forgot the Moggs Creek factor

# NGA - what a farce

# Dunkley and Perkins scam, some for Wingard but know in Vic club

# Likely Treloar 'late rort' to be 'negoatiated later' covered up much like the well known Lockett trade from 1993.

# FOX clearly flogs any non-vic player or team with their commentators when needed. e.g McGuire, Darcy, Dunstall, Dermie etc

# Who has pillaged the development teams.
Richmond, Carlton (poorly), Bombers, Hawks (poorly), Geelong, Magpies, Saints, Norf, Demons. Crows & WCE 1 but maybe more.

# Swans pillaged for rookie Harry Cunningham

# Most umps are Victorians. Data shows that the worst differential free kicks for the last 20 years are:

18th - Lions
17th - Swans
16th - thuggery Hawks
15th - Dockers

# Vics clubs play 18 or 19 home games. Non-vics got 11 or 12. (GWS & GCS data incomplete)

# were is the non-vic adavantage?

So why are most of the whingers about the 'pure' draft and CAP are Vics, particularly McGuire.

Thats because they need to keep their advantage at every 'other' level, so when those two factors, CAP and draft, are suddenly 'pure' the above factors feed into a Vic centric advantage.

Sorry to Victorian 'South, supporters if offended.

Happy to discuss with any facts but not emotions or history.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The laughable thing about the go home factor is that it’s used so much as an excuse you actually get “reporters” saying it about non vic players from non vic clubs wanting to go to Victorian clubs. I swear on anything anyone wants me to that Tom Morris used this as the reason for Coniglio moving to a Vic club and then corrected himself. It’s used as an excuse time and time again when everyone knows it’s extra money from third party sources. FFS how else do you recruit Higgins, Cameron & Smith to your side and be under the cap.

The laughable thing about the go home factor is that it’s used so much as an excuse you actually get “reporters” saying it about non vic players from non vic clubs wanting to go to Victorian clubs. I swear on anything anyone wants me to that Tom Morris used this as the reason for Coniglio moving to a Vic club and then corrected himself. It’s used as an excuse time and time again when everyone knows it’s extra money from third party sources. FFS how else do you recruit Higgins, Cameron & Smith to your side and be under the cap.
I'll keep referring back to Jonathan Brown who openly said on his radio show years back, that McGuire said he would be paid x amount, but by the time he was made a regular on the Footy Show, he would be receiving 2-3x what they were offering. So effectively Collingwood were offering a brown paper bag filled with money that wouldn't have been contained within the salary cap. No doubt did the same thing with Travis Cloke. The guy had no ******* personality, yet was on every 2nd week.

I'll keep referring back to Jonathan Brown who openly said on his radio show years back, that McGuire said he would be paid x amount, but by the time he was made a regular on the Footy Show, he would be receiving 2-3x what they were offering. So effectively Collingwood were offering a brown paper bag filled with money that wouldn't have been contained within the salary cap. No doubt did the same thing with Travis Cloke. The guy had no ******* personality, yet was on every 2nd week.

With Trav it wasn’t so much his personality it was that he could barely string 2 words together.

Which is strange because I heard an interview with him on the weekend and he was articulate and entertaining.

The Sporting Life interview? I heard a bit and thought he presented better.

The talk around academies and the arguments raised by primarily VFL supporters is legitimate bang your head against a wall stuff. It is funny in these discussions that you don't hear as much from supporters from WA and SA. Its because there are a few influential Vic media personalities who peddle this stuff constantly.

The narrative is always the same. Unless we can have some advantage above and beyond no one else should get anything. They don't want equality. Whenever you raise solutions such as allowing all clubs to have zones in Qld and NSW you get crickets. It is all about sustaining systemic advantages that Melbourne based clubs have. In effect they want us to pour money into grass roots football, develop thousands of kids, grow the game and then at the end of all that, for the less than one percent of kids who are good enough to get onto a list, these VFL clubs want to have equal access to the kids that make it through.
Well I live in SA and follow a Western Australian team in the AFL.

As I said.... I dont mind the NSW sides having Academies. 2 million a year is a lot of money, dont get me wrong about that. Yet for 2 million dollars you could fund a local state league and give 8 teams a Salary cap of $250,000 each or 10 teams a salary cap of $200,000 each.

As I posted before.....

The QAFL isnt as strong as the WAFL, SANFL, VFL or the NAB cup. There have been some players drafted from the QAFL.

I dont know if Brisbane or Gold coast have the money to do what the swans are doing. $2 million a year is a lot.

I am sure the AFL can hand Brisbane $500,000-$1,000,000 a year to fund those academies and see if they can produce AFL standard players.

Yes, the ambassador sooking does need to pay attention to how easy it is for players based in "AFL" states to earn extra money outside of the cap. The ambassador payments are meant to counteract that.

Granted I'm not sure how effective those from a less marketable club would be able to get hefty commercial gigs. Though I guess Bont's AAMI ads show it isn't impossible.

I'd like to see the club change tactics a little in terms of how it defends the academy, and I'm hoping Pridham turning the narrative back onto the critics will prove more effective. We continue to naively trot out the same old lines. "X wouldn't be playing AFL if it wasn't for the academy", and "NSW needs to produce more players", and the "it's good for the growth of the sport in NSW."

Newsflash: The footy media and the wider footy supporter base don't give a s**t about whether Isaac Heeney was lost to the sport; if he doesn't play for their team and isn't playing at the G every second primetime match, he's nothing to them. They don't give a s**t about where the players drafted to the clubs come from, as long as they're from Victoria; they have put extensive work into growing the NAB League and APS systems to strengthen Victorian output where the draft is concerned. And they don't give a s**t about the growth of the game in NSW; Sydney is NOT where the largest clubs with the largest supporter bases are based, and it's NOT where the AFL media is based, which means they can't actually get anything out of the game's thriving in New South Wales.

We might see all of these as valid concerns in order for our club to survive, but the detractors simply don't give a *. They don't care if we survive. It just falls on deaf ears. We need to start hitting them where it hurts. Flip the script so that any threat to our academy system is a threat to their academy and F/S system. Stop using Heeney as the sole poster boy for the concept of 'academies' and start name-dropping Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Isaac Quaynor, Lachie Jones, Liam Henry, Connor Downie etc.

They will promptly shut the * up.

I'd like to see the club change tactics a little in terms of how it defends the academy, and I'm hoping Pridham turning the narrative back onto the critics will prove more effective. We continue to naively trot out the same old lines. "X wouldn't be playing AFL if it wasn't for the academy", and "NSW needs to produce more players", and the "it's good for the growth of the sport in NSW."

Newsflash: The footy media and the wider footy supporter base don't give a sh*t about whether Isaac Heeney was lost to the sport; if he doesn't play for their team and isn't playing at the G every second primetime match, he's nothing to them. They don't give a sh*t about where the players drafted to the clubs come from, as long as they're from Victoria; they have put extensive work into growing the NAB League and APS systems to strengthen Victorian output where the draft is concerned. And they don't give a sh*t about the growth of the game in NSW; Sydney is NOT where the largest clubs with the largest supporter bases are based, and it's NOT where the AFL media is based, which means they can't actually get anything out of the game's thriving in New South Wales.

We might see all of these as valid concerns in order for our club to survive, but the detractors simply don't give a fu**. They don't care if we survive. It just falls on deaf ears. We need to start hitting them where it hurts. Flip the script so that any threat to our academy system is a threat to their academy and F/S system. Stop using Heeney as the sole poster boy for the concept of 'academies' and start name-dropping Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Isaac Quaynor, Lachie Jones, Liam Henry, Connor Downie etc.

They will promptly shut the fu** up.

Yep it was the same arguments we used with COLA Sydney is always more expensive than Melbourne etc they didnt care.

We dont defend the right way.

Flip the script so that any threat to our academy system is a threat to their academy and F/S system. Stop using Heeney as the sole poster boy for the concept of 'academies' and start name-dropping Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Isaac Quaynor, Lachie Jones, Liam Henry, Connor Downie etc.

I'll just repeat what I posted a short time ago in the media thread;

ALL clubs have access to F/S selections and given the changes to the NGA drafting rules as from next year I also wouldn't be mentioning them, in case those rules are extended to our academy.

What we need to focus on is areas such as competitive advantage (eg go home factor, off-field opportunities, fixturing inequities, marquee games etc) and the value of the academies growing the game in NSW/QLD.

And they don't give a sh*t about the growth of the game in NSW

More participation, more interest, more eyeballs, more TV dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just repeat what I posted a short time ago in the media thread;

ALL clubs have access to F/S selections and given the changes to the NGA drafting rules as from next year I also wouldn't be mentioning them, in case those rules are extended to our academy.

What we need to focus on is areas such as competitive advantage (eg go home factor, off-field opportunities, fixturing inequities, marquee games etc) and the value of the academies growing the game in NSW/QLD.

More participation, more interest, more eyeballs, more TV dollars.

They don't care about any of the bolded.

Flip the script so that any threat to our academy system is a threat to their academy and F/S system. Stop using Heeney as the sole poster boy for the concept of 'academies' and start name-dropping Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Isaac Quaynor, Lachie Jones, Liam Henry, Connor Downie etc.
Alas the changes to the NGA academies makes this trickier than what it otherwise would be. Plus F/S they can argue that it's a concession that applies to everyone, rather than just a couple of teams.

Gold Coast and GWS say hello
Probably a case of them forgetting they're teams :p

Not sure the arguments can work as well for them anyway as they're both perceived as having a running mill of first-round picks (especially GWS). In general I feel like the Queensland clubs are more sympathetic to the average VFL fan than the Sydney ones? Not sure but that's the vibe I get.

The AFL care about growing the game in nsw.

I wasn't talking about the AFL, I was referring to the media and the wider footy supporters. I think that is where pretty much all of the negative and uninformed dialogue takes place. Shut that dialogue down and it becomes less of an issue for us. I think how we address it can change that.

The AFL care about growing the game in nsw.

They care about money which growing the game means. Making new customers. Victoria has a 6.5 billion dollar deficit and recently recorded approx 17,000 population decrease in the last quarter. They see the writing on the wall and means they will try to make up revenue via NSW.

This is why the media like us atm it’s about revenue, Sydney when up and going always rates very very highly in big games as shown by 2012, 2014 & 2016 GF ratings. As soon as that’s done & dusted they’ll turn on us. Pridham has taken his opportunity to fight back at the perfect time. Well done Andrew!!

Newsflash: The footy media and the wider footy supporter base don't give a sh*t about whether Isaac Heeney was lost to the sport; if he doesn't play for their team and isn't playing at the G every second primetime match, he's nothing to them. They don't give a sh*t about where the players drafted to the clubs come from, as long as they're from Victoria; they have put extensive work into growing the NAB League and APS systems to strengthen Victorian output where the draft is concerned. And they don't give a sh*t about the growth of the game in NSW; Sydney is NOT where the largest clubs with the largest supporter bases are based, and it's NOT where the AFL media is based, which means they can't actually get anything out of the game's thriving in New South Wales.

We might see all of these as valid concerns in order for our club to survive, but the detractors simply don't give a fu**. They don't care if we survive. It just falls on deaf ears. We need to start hitting them where it hurts. Flip the script so that any threat to our academy system is a threat to their academy and F/S system. Stop using Heeney as the sole poster boy for the concept of 'academies' and start name-dropping Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Isaac Quaynor, Lachie Jones, Liam Henry, Connor Downie etc.

The Freo Academy is the biggest rort going, their zones are down my way, only have to have one parent born overseas to qualify, there is at least 50 kids from the peel footy league that have played since Auskick yet are aligned to this academy.

I posted this in September last year. It was after our win over a more-fancied Victorian opponent (we beat Melbourne by 21), driven again by youth (Blakey was near BOG and McInerney won the RS nomination), and was in response to people mistaking one of our interstate draftees for an academy "gift" (Rowbottom).

Seven months later, you can swap Melbourne with Richmond, Blakey with Wicks, McInerney with Warner, and Rowbottom with Warner. It doesn't matter. It's the exact same s**t. It will never end as long as we're doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back