2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I say give them their NGA bidding back buuuuttt.....

...like us, they should be expected to prove:

1. The player has been in the academy since 12 years old and they have a record of the development time put into the player for each year up until draft year

And

2. The conditions of the NGA in terms of indigenous / overseas parent remain
3. Being in heartland they should prove that the child hasn’t played the game before and they are a genuine recruit to the sport

The AFL care about growing the game in nsw.
Pretty sure we have more participants in AFL NSW/ACT then they do in WA so that has obviously taken money from the AFL to achieve. They 100% care about NSW and QLD. It's every VFL centric fan and media personality (possibly admins too) that don't care or want equalisation. Yeah I'm a Richmond fan but I'm past longing for the VFL to return or everything to be unequal with advantages to VIC only. I just wish that more vic fans could share a similar sentiment in that development is key to the growth of the competition.

Also I sawsome other post saying the AFL put money into theu u19s in SA and WA. The AFL doesn't directly put money into those talent pathways. The AFL does, however, put money into the WA and SA state talent academies which happens in the the 'Ally' states too but on a lesser scale.
I believe the AFL gives X dollars to the WAFC and SANFL to put wherever the WAFC and SANFL want to.

The AFL does also fund the NAB League and I'm sure have spent some money on the APS and AGSV competitions.

TLDR; The AFL cares about every state but most about Victoria. They don't provide as much money to SA and WA since their respective football administrations are very strong.

I think what gets missed is that for the 3000 odd kids that have gone through the academy, a large number develop a tie to the swans as fans, as do their family and friends. So many parents and kids talk proudly that they or their kid was “in the academy”

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It also means that these 'Academy Kids' (all 3000 of them), if they have children, will teach their children the proper techniques for their skills which then develops the game in these Northern States.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It also means that these 'Academy Kids' (all 3000 of them), if they have children, will teach their children the proper techniques for their skills which then develops the game in these Northern States.
So much this! One of the biggest issues the academy has is apparently teaching the ones who weren't brought up playing AFL how to drop the ball properly onto foot & other skills taken for granted.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Is that a question or a statement?

Either way, the answer is the same. No they don't
The AFL care about growing the $$$$$$ and everything else is about caring what the other AFL clubs think. They are reactionary about anything that says they do not care about other stuff that is important like junior development. When have you heard anything about junior development from Gil in the last 4 years.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The AFL care about growing the $$$$$$ and everything else is about caring what the other AFL clubs think. They are reactionary about anything that says they do not care about other stuff that is important like junior development. When have you heard anything about junior development from Gil in the last 4 years.
The Swans Academy is producing players the envy of the competition. Why is the AFL not learning from our success and implementing a similar system in Tasmania?

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon Andrew Ireland knows the AFL is incompetent. It is looking after its own interests.
But I reckon he has a view where the AFL would be doing things in the best interests of the AFL and the players and the juniors. Developing the game in Tamania and the NT and also in other areas we have never thought of. The Vic centric biased control needs to change. Pandering to Vic clubs is prolonging the inevitable but is juvenile. Australia awaits the AFL. There are vast areas of Australia that need good coaches. The AFL can grow the game and be more successful than pandering to Melbourne centric clubs.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Nothing wrong with NGA’s just implemented in such a rush to placate people like McGuire they were ill thought out. From the start it should have been any child with both parents born outside Australia it’s the same rules as the NA. One parent same rules as now but and this is the big but the investment & time should have matched the NA’s ie put the time in and wait for the players to come through.

None of this a year after starting up you’ve “developed a top round player” crap. Thomas from Norf is the first to come to mind.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I think what gets missed is that for the 3000 odd kids that have gone through the academy, a large number develop a tie to the swans as fans, as do their family and friends. So many parents and kids talk proudly that they or their kid was “in the academy”

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
My sisters family does. And I note that her husband is/was a talented rugby player. He was on the selection panel that picked the first rugby team to beat New Zealand in New Zealand at U21. He has coached at high levels. What I am trying to say is that his 2 sons grew up playing rugby union. His eldest is in the Swans Academy. The younger one told me at Christmas that he also wants to play AFL. He has played Union, League and Soccer. He now wants to play AFL.

losty199

Rookie
Apr 22, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone else think Eddie Mcguire and VFL types are trying kill Academy not because of couple kids going top 10 in draft but because they fear of what might become 10-20 years if AFL is actually properly managed and grown in NSW Swans could become another interstate monster like Eagles.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone else think Eddie Mcguire and VFL types are trying kill Academy not because of couple kids going top 10 in draft but because they fear of what might become 10-20 years if AFL is actually properly managed and grown in NSW Swans could become another interstate monster like Eagles.
An interesting thought. Fear of the power shift!

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Article identifying where (northern) academy players have ended up;

Nice to see a positive article highlighting how the academies can benefit all clubs.

To quote the article;
(the ex academy players at other clubs)
highlight the growing talent pool in the northern markets that has spilled out to other clubs and is only expected to continue.

JackSwans

Head Scout
Jan 12, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

I’d put it on the MB thread just for TirdsTheWord but I’m locked out of that thread

I’d put it on the MB thread just for TirdsTheWord but I’m locked out of that thread

Incredible article.

Issue is main board won't buy it until there is a better method for matching selections.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Incredible article.

Issue is main board won't buy it until there is a better method for matching selections.

There doesn’t need a better method. When other clubs start to match the contribution this club makes to the increased tv revenue via increased exposure due to more interest then I’ll listen. Without the Sydney market the tv rights drop dramatically imo

Sydney has the highest ratings GF’s & this is due to the introduction of the academy imo. We were successful in the late eighties, it made no difference to viewership from Sydney. With the introduction of the academy it’s changed a lot. The AFL know it now. We’ve value added way more to the AFL bottom line than a lot of people realise.

There doesn’t need a better method. When other clubs start to match the contribution this club makes to the increased tv revenue via increased exposure due to more interest then I’ll listen. Without the Sydney market the tv rights drop dramatically imo

Sydney has the highest ratings GF’s & this is due to the introduction of the academy imo. We were successful in the late eighties, it made no difference to viewership from Sydney. With the introduction of the academy it’s changed a lot. The AFL know it now. We’ve value added way more to the AFL bottom line than a lot of people realise.

Marketing aside (because I 100% agree with it), other clubs and fans won't like the academies unless we are matching selections with similar picks in the draft. Stopping the situation where you match first round picks with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round selections.

I think the new rule makes sense that you have to match picks with the same amount of picks in the draft, but can see them forcing you to use a pick from the first round, and if it isn't available to use then it takes first round the next year.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Marketing aside (because I 100% agree with it), other clubs and fans won't like the academies unless we are matching selections with similar picks in the draft. Stopping the situation where you match first round picks with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round selections.

I think the new rule makes sense that you have to match picks with the same amount of picks in the draft, but can see them forcing you to use a pick from the first round, and if it isn't available to use then it takes first round the next year.

Its the wedge they’ll use to get what they really want. They’ll have an idea of trying water it down year by year until theres basically no academy. They know how important the academy is to the club and getting rid of it is a way of weakening a rival. Then they have this idea of where gulden or Campbell will slot in their side. It’s basically standard play that McGuire was continually trying to work towards. It has nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with trying to gain an advantage. They don’t want academies they want the return to the good old days of doolan, Rocca, Grant, Gasper etc

Back