2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Ah. King sounds very nice, could be the perfect complement for McDonald going forward.
Well he was 195cm and 83kg two years ago (haven’t found anything more recent)

He turned 17 on 1st June. big lad

Well he was 195cm and 83kg two years ago (haven’t found anything more recent)

He turned 17 on 1st June. big lad
King's now 198 cm. I am not sure about the weight.
Also not sure how tall Tye Gander is but I hope he becomes a Key Position height as a medium forward is such a nothing position.
Tye is 189 cm so he could slot in a variety of places. It's unlikely that he'd become a KPF.
Billy the King sounds like a good prospect.
Yeah he is the leading one from the Academy and potentially NSW. He made his Nab League debut this year and had somewhere around 30 hit-outs which is elite.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
King's now 198 cm. I am not sure about the weight.

Tye is 189 cm so he could slot in a variety of places. It's unlikely that he'd become a KPF.

Yeah he is the leading one from the Academy and potentially NSW. He made his Nab League debut this year and had somewhere around 30 hit-outs which is elite.
There will be another cut to the amount of players turning 18 for the U19s soon.

Last edited:

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Needs to grow 2 or 3cm to be a genuine ruckman at the AFL level which he should be able to do.
I wish AFL media would follow in basketball's footsteps when talking about draft prospects. I wanna know a player's wingspan as well as their height as that's a better indication for assessing talent and positioning on the field. Will Hayward is a prime example, despite being only 6'1" he looks to have a much longer wingspan (probably another 3 or 4 inches) which is what makes him so lethal up forward.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
This article has a few quotes from him. Clearly has the drive to improve, definitely worth a punt.

Unconfirmed. But I have been reliably informed that there will be a 25% funding cut across the whole Swans Academy program.
It's 25% Player cut not funding cut. This is because of the amount of players now in the academy with the 9 girls age groups along side the boys.

They are now focusing on elite and draft-able talent so a lot of the 'hanger onerers' will be cut.

On a side note, benchmarks for u15 (u16 2022) all the way through to u19s start in December with the invitees announced on Monday so it'd be interesting to see the number of cuts.

Back