2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

My nephew made the cutoff for the U18 team for 2022.

However, there is another cutoff. There is a Preparation program when the players have to train to prepare for the Benchmark program.

Four week - Preparation program:

W1 - Oct 25 - 31

W2 - Nov 1 - 7

W3 - Nov 8 - 14

W4 - Nov 15 - 21

Four week - Benchmark program:

Wednesday local sessions: November 24, December 1, 8 and 15

Saturday Metro sessions: November 27, December 4, 11 and 18 (Moore Park)

Not all players will be selected for the final team for 2022.
Wishing all the best for your nephew ⭕🔴⭕

I probably didn't give this question the respect it deserved. I assume others know what I know. A fault of mine.

Private schools in Sydney Eastern suburbs historically were the bastion of rugby union. Rich private schools, backed by lots of brown paper bags enabled an "amateur's" competition to flourish. Very rich eastern suburbs money pumped into rugby union schools, clubs etc a very strong sustainable competition.

Public schools were very much rugby league. The game of the working class. But it was professional and players were paid not in paper bags mostly.

The two sides of the winter competition. Rugby vs Rugby League. Cricket was the summer competition.

Enter the AFL. The AFL was considered a joke by most. Me included growing up as a NSW kid.

With the advent of the Swans Academy it provided an elite pathway to the top competition.
With the drafting of Heeney and trading of Buddy the Swans became cool. IMO. Kids looked at that.

Schools started aussie rules sport and it is now cemented in Sydney schools both private and public.

Kids now grow up in schools with a choice of Rugby, League or AFL. I think the aspects of all three games are more appealing to kids that choose the AFL route.

I think it is the more appealing universal game to all prototypes and hence more kids.

Just my opinion.
I tend to agree. I think the rise of Aussie Rules in Sydney seems to be at the same time as the decline of Rugby Union, and with the increase of stories of once proud rugby schools replacing their rugby posts with aussie rules posts, I think there is a correlation.

It is said that one of the reasons that aussie rules was invented was to keep cricketers fit during the off-season, which is why it has always traditionally been played on cricket ovals rather than rectangular pitches (and why we have 'umpires' and a 'boundary'), so it is only natural that there is a certain amount of crossover with players. However, with local football seasons now beginning pre-season training in November and therefore cutting into the cricket season, it is forcing more kids to choose between the two at a younger age. If there are only about 100 full-time (male) cricketers in Australia but there are over 680 full-time AFL squad members, then the odds of being paid to play professional sport are significantly increased for footy.

I tend to agree. I think the rise of Aussie Rules in Sydney seems to be at the same time as the decline of Rugby Union, and with the increase of stories of once proud rugby schools replacing their rugby posts with aussie rules posts, I think there is a correlation.

It is said that one of the reasons that aussie rules was invented was to keep cricketers fit during the off-season, which is why it has always traditionally been played on cricket ovals rather than rectangular pitches (and why we have 'umpires' and a 'boundary'), so it is only natural that there is a certain amount of crossover with players. However, with local football seasons now beginning pre-season training in November and therefore cutting into the cricket season, it is forcing more kids to choose between the two at a younger age. If there are only about 100 full-time (male) cricketers in Australia but there are over 680 full-time AFL squad members, then the odds of being paid to play professional sport are significantly increased for footy.
Hence my post about Australian cricket will decline with the rise of aussie rules in NSW. But it is significant that AFL will become the premier sport of the winter competition. It just takes generational time for people to adapt to the concept. I always go too early.

Last edited:
Hence my post about Australian cricket will decline with the rise of aussie rules in NSW. But it is significant that AFL will become the premier sport of the winter competition. It just takes generational time for people to adapt to the concept. I always go too early.

Personally I would have been delighted if the over rated likes of Brett Lee, Koala Mark Waugh and the odious Davey Warner had taken up footy, provided they were recruited by other Clubs and not ours.

189 reported in June this year. https://aflnswact.com.au/u17-afl-nsw-act-rams-side-announced/

If he grows another centimetre or two that's fine. Or even not - we're pretty stocked up for genuine key forward options. An electric utility/flanker could be more what we need anyway.

A stand on heads forward/half forward would be ideal. KPF is low on the list of priorities.
We have some serious variation developing in our forward line, if it clicks, we're looking really good!

Surely the biggest factor is head injuries and the increasing awareness around concussion and CTE.

AFL is light years ahead of Union and League on this, with rule and cultural adaptation. Parents increasingly look crazy letting their kids play League

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

An athletic medium forward option, Gander is electric around the contest and even more exciting when leading up at the footy, getting on an opponents’ shoulders without putting a hand on them and sticking high marks or selling candy to open up more space, Gander is capable of it all. His leap is such a strength it is not uncommon to see him rotate through the ruck and win some contests, then follow up his own tap at ground level.

Billy King

A physically imposing but also athletic ruck and forward option, King wins most ruck contests he attends; able to out-body opponents well, but just as capable of leaping over them even when giving up a little bit of height. What makes King so dangerous is his strong marking when resting forward and good leading patterns, making him a danger when he gets on the move inside 50.

Joshua Nicholls

With a nice bit of speed to help him, Nicholls can fill in role up either end, on a wing or even through the midfield, applying the same level of intent to win the ball and use it. A jack of all trades type, Nicholls is good across the board with his skills and footy IQ, making him particularly dangerous when given the freedom to roam around the ground and impact where he sees fit.

Others:

William Sabolch
is a solid defender that can run through the midfield, with his ball use particularly impressive out of the back half and resulting in a lot of attacking plays. Bililign Robertson plays mostly on a wing but is more than comfortable in congestion where he can find a backwards handball option, whilst Christian Webster is a taller option that can play up either end with a good mark. Indhi Kirk, the oldest child of Brett, is also in the academy and possesses some impressive tricks as a small forward, whilst fellow club legend Michael O’Loughlin has had his nephew TJ Speedy Coe recently switch across from rugby, bringing a lot of speed and excitement to the forwardline.

A draft watcher, PMBangers, said that Billy King is his favourite from the academy and ranks Tye Gander in the top 5 in NSW. Has also said that Billy King could be a highish pick.
Hi, I don't know who you are or even why you'd bother... but I truly appreciate the effort! Thanks very much!! :)

Hi, I don't know who you are or even why you'd bother... but I truly appreciate the effort! Thanks very much!! :)
Thanks...but that wasn't me. That was PMBangers. I just know where to look.

I do know a little about each player tho so if u have questions...

Thanks...but that wasn't me. That was PMBangers. I just know where to look.

I do know a little about each player tho so if u have questions...

Thanks a lot. Do you think the above mentioned players are AFL quality? Not expecting a Campbell or Gulden draft year sort of thing but it would be great to bring in another couple academy kids in the 2022 draft.

Thanks a lot. Do you think the above mentioned players are AFL quality? Not expecting a Campbell or Gulden draft year sort of thing but it would be great to bring in another couple academy kids in the 2022 draft.
Personally,

King is AFL quality. Ruck/FWD and is athletic, he fills all the qualities needed by the modern ruck/fwd and showed that in his NAB League debut this year when he got 30 something hitouts and 11 touches as a bottom age ruck who started. He also has good enough skills to be drafted imo. I was talking to bangers and he said potentially top 30.

Nicholls and Gander are ok imo but I don't think they'd be likely to be drafted, maybe rookied if they're lucky. They do have some good traits respectively tho.

Personally,

King is AFL quality. Ruck/FWD and is athletic, he fills all the qualities needed by the modern ruck/fwd and showed that in his NAB League debut this year when he got 30 something hitouts and 11 touches as a bottom age ruck who started. He also has good enough skills to be drafted imo. I was talking to bangers and he said potentially top 30.

Nicholls and Gander are ok imo but I don't think they'd be likely to be drafted, maybe rookied if they're lucky. They do have some good traits respectively tho.
By the time of drafting King will be 5 years (thereabouts) younger than McLean/Amartey. Perfect.

This is something I have thought about a lot.
How many very good Victorians batman have played for Australia over the last 20 years? About 2
How many very good NSW batsman have played for Australia over the last 20 years. About 25

Why is that?

The Sydney grade competition is probably the strongest in the world at its level. One level below Shield.

My nephew who has excelled at cricket and aussie rules has chosen aussie rules.

Sydney cricket will decline across the whole of sydney because the best players will probably choose ausiie rules.

Why?

Look at a cricketer. Look at an AFL player. They are the same prototype. Tall. Skinny.

What are your prospects at AFL and what are your prospects at elite Australian cricket?

Lots of great AFL players have chosen aussie rules over cricket. Luke Hodge is one. But there are many.

I predict the decline of Australian cricket with the rise of AFL in NSW.

David Hookes' theory was that when you got your NSW debut cap, they gave you a baggy green in a brown paper bag.

You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!

One of my best friends at work has two sons. Both very good cricketers. Her youngest son was playing in the Victorian U17 side and he said that most of the best players in the side were considering AFL careers in the following year. They were not going to pursue cricket careers. That was about 3-4 years ago.

One of my best friends at work has two sons. Both very good cricketers. Her youngest son was playing in the Victorian U17 side and he said that most of the best players in the side were considering AFL careers in the following year. They were not going to pursue cricket careers. That was about 3-4 years ago.
Was their decision successful for them?

You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!
No. That will not happen. How many Islanders play AFL. Virtually none. What I am saying is that NSW cricket will decline. And hence Australian cricket will decline.
It has happened in Victoria for decades. In 10-20 years AFL will take the best youth to the detriment of cricket.
There are not that many elite sportsman each year. I think in Australia the 800 ior so list spots in AFL is more than most other sports.

Look at Heeney. He could have played soccer or rugby league. Mills rugby union. These guys are scarce.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back