Mega Thread Official Thread: Melbourne Coach 2012 - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mark Harvey available! what do we think?

Thread could be combined with the Redraft a reject thread.
Since Collingwood have moved MM from his coaching duties not the other way around would you say he's technically a reject :D

Seriously Freo were a shoe in for top 4 untill they got raped with injuries (most of them unavoidable) Freo will regret this and I think St K should go for him like a bull in a china shop.

I'm convinced MM will be in the red & blue in 2012

Re: Official Thread: Melbourne Coach 2012

Caro's Twitter

CarowhineWilson Caroline Wilson

Mick Malthouse has been conspicuous in his lack of comment on multiple coaching vacancies. He is believed to be considering his options

Thank God that we did not get Ross Lyon. To bring a club into disrepute. Saints Football has been unbearable to watch - and that is the last thing we need as a club ( yeah, I know, 186 is worse)

Biff as a Melbourne supporter for 30 years I would be more than willing to watch crap football if we win more than we lose. We have played attacking footy since Daniher took over and how has that treated us?

FWIW I think Matthews is the man we will get. If we get him or Malthouse I think we are on the right track, but I could be wrong.

That and a caller a few weeks back on SEN116 claimed to be a hotel worker who served Malthouse, Jim Stynes and Cameron Schwab dinner at his work a few weeks back got me thinking even more.

I agree that 'saints footy' is the most boring, vomit inducing, uninspired rubbish ever. Having said this, I don't care anymore. I just want to win and nothing else matters. Beats nice corridor footy that doesn't get us anywhere. I think we've lost out. Today proves it's a very sneaky landscape, malthouse is not out of the picture.
by all accounts Mick and Roos are still gunning for the job at Carlton if you believe the nuff nuffs
With it confirmed Malthouse is not going to be director of coaching and the talk of a media deal you must conclude he will coach someplace. Heart may want him at the dogs but winner in him might govern his decison to chase a flag with Melb Stk Carlton

The whole coaching landscape has changed with Lyon leaving the Saints. Imo it brings Malthouse right back into the equation. How many jobs are going to be up for grabs next year if Malthouse takes his intended year off ? Malthouse has already acknowledged that if he wants to coach again he can't be out of the game long.

Clubs off the table next year: Saints, Dees, Freo, Adelaide, Pies, Dogs, Cats, Suns, GWS, Essendon, Hawks, West Coast, Swans, North, and the Lions.

Others unlikely would be Tigers and Blues. And would Malthouse want to coach Port.

For me Malthouse has to make a play for one of the clubs looking for a coach this year, or he runs the real risk of not having an opportunity next year.

Interesting times.

The whole coaching landscape has changed with Lyon leaving the Saints. Imo it brings Malthouse right back into the equation. How many jobs are going to be up for grabs next year if Malthouse takes his intended year off ? Malthouse has already acknowledged that if he wants to coach again he can't be out of the game long.

Clubs off the table next year: Saints, Dees, Freo, Adelaide, Pies, Dogs, Cats, Suns, GWS, Essendon, Hawks, West Coast, Swans, North, and the Lions.

Others unlikely would be Tigers and Blues. And would Malthouse want to coach Port.

For me Malthouse has to make a play for one of the clubs looking for a coach this year, or he runs the real risk of not having an opportunity next year.

Interesting times.

Excellent post. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

As much as I admire Ro$$'s coaching record, grand final appearances, et cetera, I thank the (no-seeing) footy gods we didn't sign him up for a generation.

Saints footy has got to be one of the most boring styles to watch in the modern era. Only after a horror start to the season did they let loose and put trust in their players to back themselves with a more attacking brand only to convert to the old style once they hit the lead and had enough wins on the board. Riewoldt's career has essentially been stunted in recent years because of this style, there's been hardly any youth development whilst sniffing at a flag and though I agree we need to improve defensively, I would hate to see this come at a cost for choking up the natural intuitive attacking styles of Jurrah, Bennell, Howe, Davey and co which worringly appeared in to the more recent Bailey era.

With three other clubs needing a coach, Garry and the Board need to chuck absolutely everything at Mick and his management to get him to Melbourne even if it means offering a one year fill in with Todd should he want his gap year. He has the answer to just about everything we need right now- smart strength-finding tactics, complete trust in players (and vice versa), huge marketability and the obvious ... a track record in taking a group from the bottom to the very top. Something 99% of our club has not experienced (Todd Viney and National Panasonic Pre Season Cups notwithstanding).

Alt/Tab back to MS Paint

What the %%^&^ has Garry Lyon been doing if he hadn't even spoke to Ross Lyon. Him telling Ross Lyon's manager that he'd like to have a chat if negotiations with St Kilda break down is bloody typical of the Demons. We needed to be on the front foot from the start and if its true that we have only had an "initial chat" with a few coaches then I reckon Garry Lyon should stand down and we should get someone in there who will actually do something! $$%% me what a JOKE!

But if he already has Malthouse lined up, why go chasing Ross Lyon? I have a feeling he as a few tricks up his sleeve. Give it time.

What the %%^&^ has Garry Lyon been doing if he hadn't even spoke to Ross Lyon. Him telling Ross Lyon's manager that he'd like to have a chat if negotiations with St Kilda break down is bloody typical of the Demons. We needed to be on the front foot from the start and if its true that we have only had an "initial chat" with a few coaches then I reckon Garry Lyon should stand down and we should get someone in there who will actually do something! $$%% me what a JOKE!

Geez, relax. As a melbourne supporter, you coudn't have been happier with the way Garry spoke last night.

Ross Lyon "was" still contracted to st Kilda for another year. Going to management is usually the first step. I doubt we predicted that Ross had taken it upon himself to organise his own multi million deal with the purple club on the other side of the country.

In rudyard kipling style, I quite like the dees taking a seemingly professional approach, "no frontrunner", and interviewing the best candidates. Everyone else seems to be running around with their head cut off.

I'll take comfort from Garry's supreme confidence and it appears Mellbourne weren't that interested in Ross anyway. He did inherite a senior list, capable of playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if he already has Malthouse lined up, why go chasing Ross Lyon? I have a feeling he as a few tricks up his sleeve. Give it time.

That would seem the more likely option. Even if its not Mick. He must have somebody already lined up. Just it hasn't been leaked to the media.

A couple of things I heard on the radio this morning:

- Choco Williams to St Kilda, Mark Harvey to GWS

- Craig Kelly said that we had spoken to ESP and said that we were interested in a chat with Ross Lyon if there was a possibility of him leaving St Kilda, not knowing that he was putting together his own exit strategy. Ned also gave Sports News First a massive bake about their 'Ross Lyon to Melbourne' story earlier in the week.

The club are doing the right thing by speaking to the managers first and doing it on the quiet. There is nothing worse than it playing out via the media. Just because the papers etc aren't telling us daily where our coaching situation is at doesn't mean we are doing nothing or are the worst option for coaches. Far from it, given what Malthouse and some others have said.

This will play out 1 of 2 ways for Garry & the MFC, either:

A) Garry looking calm & talking smooth is all part of some elaborate plan they have, be that Malthouse or whoever.

or

B) Garry is putting on a front, end of the day we didn't have enough mongrel to sign Ross or MM but we obviously can't say that to save face, we end up putting in a rookie coach that we could've just placed in the traditional method we use to get Bailey & our reputation for being AFL minnows with no balls grows further.

He said he had only had an "initial chat" with a few coaches...doesn't sound like he has Malthouse lined up...

Geez, relax. As a melbourne supporter, you coudn't have been happier with the way Garry spoke last night.

Ross Lyon "was" still contracted to st Kilda for another year. Going to management is usually the first step. I doubt we predicted that Ross had taken it upon himself to organise his own multi million deal with the purple club on the other side of the country.

In rudyard kipling style, I quite like the dees taking a seemingly professional approach, "no frontrunner", and interviewing the best candidates. Everyone else seems to be running around with their head cut off.

I'll take comfort from Garry's supreme confidence and it appears Mellbourne weren't that interested in Ross anyway. He did inherite a senior list, capable of playing finals.

Yeah because the MFC have just done such a fantastic job with decisions relating to our football department over the past few years...lets just sit back safe in the assumption that they know what they are doing now.....:rolleyes: Haven't you heard of the old saying "the nice guy always finishes last...." - Lyon and Freo both got what they wanted...but it wasn't by being the nice guy....we need to be aggresive because now is not the time to be the nice guy and sit back and feel all superior because we are doing the "right thing"...

Yeah because the MFC have just done such a fantastic job with decisions relating to our football department over the past few years...lets just sit back safe in the assumption that they know what they are doing now.....:rolleyes: Haven't you heard of the old saying "the nice guy always finishes last...." - Lyon and Freo both got what they wanted...but it wasn't by being the nice guy....we need to be aggresive because now is not the time to be the nice guy and sit back and feel all superior because we are doing the "right thing"...

Seems to me MFC are very comfortable either with what they've got or what they've got planned. Bailey's card could've been stamped half way through the year after some of the performances. We may have been into someone well in advance.

Bailey was the hired gun to turnover a list, I am sure of it - the sacrificial lamb. The next coach is crucial and I am choosing to put my faith in the club. We haven't missed out on anyone except for Clarkson, who lets face its was unattainable.

Lyon is getting unprecedented money and it's probably a good decision to get as far away from Victoria as possible.

It seems like we are being left behind in all this coaching saga, but i'm glad we didn't get Ross Lyon.

I think the best 2 coaches out there are Mick Maulthouse and Mark Neeld and I doubt we'll get Maulthouse.

Hopefully the Bullldogs take Leon Cameron and Adelaide get Scott burns and then I can see a battle between us and St Kilda for Mark Neeld.

So hopefully Garry has learn't from this Ross Lyon stuff that he has to stop taking enquiries and start taking action.

God I hope they have something lined up because we might end up the scraps after being the first club to sack the coach!

We should be first in line...........

Please Please Please Please Please Mick.

Lyon and Freo both got what they wanted...

Yes. Lyon wants a premiership, and obviously figures that he can get one at Freeo sooner rather than later, certainly within the 4 years of his contract. That's (probably) not the case at the Dees.

People should stop assuming that every coach wants to go to every club, and it's only a question of money or "how hard we go at them".

Yes. Lyon wants a premiership, and obviously figures that he can get one at Freeo sooner rather than later, certainly within the 4 years of his contract. That's (probably) not the case at the Dees.

People should stop assuming that every coach wants to go to every club, and it's only a question of money or "how hard we go at them".

Are you serious? All I said was that we had to get offers out there and be aggresive. If we do nothing then we will get nothing....Jeez I am glad you aren't part of the committee looking for our new coach :rolleyes:

BINGO - as they say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" you can't force someone into taking it and by the way this was handled no club had a chance with Ross anyway.

You can't control what other people do

Don't make a rushed move out of panic guys and it will be alright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back