Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

I was having a conversation the other day with a mate about which number 1 draft pick of the past 10 years you would take first (obviously assuming they are all 18), I reckon I'd take Boyd first..

2004 - Brett Deledio (underrated because of Franklin/Griffen but still was never a top 20 player in the comp in any season)
2005 - Marc Murphy (One A+ grade season mixed with a bunch of C+ to B+ seasons)
2006 - Bryce Gibbs (Solid B+ grader with a A grade season last year)
2007 - Matthew Kreuzer (Decent/good player at best and injuries haven't been kind)
2008 - Jack Watts (Hack)
2009 - Tom Scully (Disappointing number #1 pick)
2010 - David Swallow (Think his going to end up a gun but I'd still take Boyd)
2011 - Jonathon Patton (Boyd IMO has more talent and hasn't got the injury concerns)
2012 - Lachie Whitfield (could argue you would take Whitfield ahead of him, but KPF > Mid)
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin (At the same age Boyd was considerably ahead)

Would be stoked If he ended up being the best of that list (although It's a little underwhelming considering they are number 1 draft picks..)

You can see how bored we get in the off season :p

Last edited:
I was having a conversation the other day with a mate about which number 1 draft pick of the past 10 years you would take first (obviously assuming they are all 18), I reckon I'd take Boyd first..

2004 - Brett Deledio (underrated because of Franklin/Griffen but still was never a top 20 player in the comp in any season)
2005 - Marc Murphy (One A+ grade season mixed with a bunch of C+ to B+ seasons)
2006 - Bryce Gibbs (Solid B+ grader with a A grade season last year)
2007 - Matthew Kreuzer (Decent/good player at best and injuries haven't been kind)
2008 - Jack Watts (Hack)
2009 - Tom Scully (Disappointing number #1 pick)
2010 - David Swallow (Think his going to end up a gun but I'd still take Boyd)
2011 - Jonathon Patton (Boyd IMO has more talent and hasn't got the injury concerns)
2012 - Lachie Whitfield (could argue you would take Whitfield ahead of him, but KPF > Mid)
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin (At the same age Boyd was considerably ahead)

Would be stoked If he ended up being the best of that list (although It's a little underwhelming considering they are number 1 draft picks..)

You can see how bored we get in the off season :p
all depends if you are picking them before or after they played at afl level , at this moment in time boyd hasn't shown a lot and I would take Murphy swallow and Whitfield before boyd , even before they were drafted I reckon I would take those other guys first hope to be wrong though

all depends if you are picking them before or after they played at afl level , at this moment in time boyd hasn't shown a lot and I would take Murphy swallow and Whitfield before boyd , even before they were drafted I reckon I would take those other guys first hope to be wrong though

I'm interested in your scouting/research of players during their underage year(s) that has led you to form this opinion?

Picking them based on what we know today, I agree with you pre draft on Murphy and Swallow. Those 2 were talked up crazy before they were drafted.

I'm interested in your scouting/research of players during their underage year(s) that has led you to form this opinion?
They were all stars at junior level including Boyd , talls that dominate at junior level can usually be because they are up to 10cm taller than there opponent I like to see them against blokes there own height and weight before I judge them

Picking them based on what we know today, I agree with you pre draft on Murphy and Swallow. Those 2 were talked up crazy before they were drafted.
Whitfield was as well I believe

Not taking needs into consideration, I'd take Whitfield before Boyd. Kid is a freak.

Whitfield was as well I believe
Boyd was/is the best underage forward seen since Brown. It isn't just his height, it is his skills, mobility and reading of the flight of the ball are all elite.
Happy we got him. I almost wanted us to take to get him at the dogs the year he was going to be drafted.

They were all stars at junior level including Boyd , talls that dominate at junior level can usually be because they are up to 10cm taller than there opponent I like to see them against blokes there own height and weight before I judge them

Fair enough. I haven't seen enough of Boyd playing against men his 'own height and weight' yet to make that judgement. My hunch is that he'll be better than Tom Hawkins, but not quite in the Buddy/Wayne category. Based on this and the impact these guys have on structures, matchups, defensive anxiety (as well as stats), I'd be selecting him before almost all mids (Gaz excepted).

Last edited:
Fair enough. I haven't seen enough of Boyd playing against men his 'own height and weight' yet to make that judgement. My hunch is that he'll be better than Tom Hawkins, but not quite in the Buddy/Wayne category. Based on this and the impact these guys have on structures, matches, defensive anxiety (as well as stats), I'd be selecting him before almost all mids (Gaz excepted).

It's been mentioned before, but the big forwards with big super coach scores at junior level has invariably translated to the AFL. Was the case with Hawkins, Cloke and some others. I believe Boyds average was something like 160. He just needs some time to adjust to the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfield is a number one draft pick as well, how many disgruntled captains
and first round draft picks do you think we have lying around.;)
We could send them M Boyd (former captain) and our first rounder

Whitfield is a number one draft pick as well, how many disgruntled captains
and first round draft picks do you think we have lying around.;)
All depends if we can trade future picks

Fair enough. I haven't seen enough of Boyd playing against men his 'own height and weight' yet to make that judgement. My hunch is that he'll be better than Tom Hawkins, but not quite in the Buddy/Wayne category. Based on this and the impact these guys have on structures, matchups, defensive anxiety (as well as stats), I'd be selecting him before almost all mids (Gaz excepted).
All depends on a clubs need I guess , I'm not knocking body and am over the moon we got him just don't know where to rate him yet he is only
Young

Boyd was/is the best underage forward seen since Brown. It isn't just his height, it is his skills, mobility and reading of the flight of the ball are all elite.
Happy we got him. I almost wanted us to take to get him at the dogs the year he was going to be drafted.
I hope he is better than brown but only time will tell

Gutless? I've seen Whitfield run under the ball with an almost suicidal disregard for his own safety, get smashed by bigger blokes and get straight up.

He's got a baby face and he's better utilised on the outside of the pack, but the kid is made of tough stuff.

Gutless? I've seen Whitfield run under the ball with an almost suicidal disregard for his own safety, get smashed by bigger blokes and get straight up.

He's got a baby face and he's better utilised on the outside of the pack, but the kid is made of tough stuff.
Known him all my life

sorry champ kids a stick who doesn't go hard t it watch

Known him all my life

sorry champ kids a stick who doesn't go hard t it watch
post-19715-Brent-Rambo-gif-thumbs-up-imgu-L3yP.gif

Moving the discussion over here...

Considering Griffen is a PROVEN afl player and a gun of the game what I said was more than fair we would even be getting ripped off then .. Did you see Boyd's first year at afl level ? Pretty poor
I can see where you're coming from; some may remember that I wasn't exactly thrilled with the trade after it eventuated. I still think we overpaid but it was probably necessary to some degree. I maintain my belief that we could've gotten more, and that we were the first to blink...but at the same time I'm at peace with the decision and am extremely excited with the outcome. Nevertheless, I do think you raise some interesting points.

I think the biggest issue with your trade hypotheticals is that you're only looking at the situation from our perspective. Griffen is a proven gun, still has some really good footy ahead of him, has everything GWS need, while Boyd is a young key forward who we likely won't get reward from in the next year or two and who had a pretty ordinary first year. The problem is that this is an extremely biased viewpoint from 'our side,' which looks only at the positives from GWS' side and fails to think about the risks they have to take. From their extreme position: Griffen is a 28 year old elite player who could only play at his peak for another year, has a back issue that can only be managed and has already ruined an entire season of football and may not ever be able to be overcome; meanwhile Boyd is one of the most dominant key forwards we've seen at junior level and had teams throwing multiple high picks at them to get him the year before - he now has a year's development in him.

You're arguing a potential trade from your side of the story and unfortunately that just never happens. Generally you meet somewhere in the middle. Our 'middle' was skewed in the favour of GWS - but we had to get this deal done and in the end it came at a cost. Just be glad with what we got in return - a ten year plus key forward who has shown signs of being an elite prospect.

Moving the discussion over here...

I can see where you're coming from; some may remember that I wasn't exactly thrilled with the trade after it eventuated. I still think we overpaid but it was probably necessary to some degree. I maintain my belief that we could've gotten more, and that we were the first to blink...but at the same time I'm at peace with the decision and am extremely excited with the outcome. Nevertheless, I do think you raise some interesting points.

I think the biggest issue with your trade hypotheticals is that you're only looking at the situation from our perspective. Griffen is a proven gun, still has some really good footy ahead of him, has everything GWS need, while Boyd is a young key forward who we likely won't get reward from in the next year or two and who had a pretty ordinary first year. The problem is that this is an extremely biased viewpoint from 'our side,' which looks only at the positives from GWS' side and fails to think about the risks they have to take. From their extreme position: Griffen is a 28 year old elite player who could only play at his peak for another year, has a back issue that can only be managed and has already ruined an entire season of football and may not ever be able to be overcome; meanwhile Boyd is one of the most dominant key forwards we've seen at junior level and had teams throwing multiple high picks at them to get him the year before - he now has a year's development in him.

You're arguing a potential trade from your side of the story and unfortunately that just never happens. Generally you meet somewhere in the middle. Our 'middle' was skewed in the favour of GWS - but we had to get this deal done and in the end it came at a cost. Just be glad with what we got in return - a ten year plus key forward who has shown signs of being an elite prospect.
I agree with all of that well said I'll end with the trade right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back