Official West Indies Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Mohammad? That's a blast from years gone by. He must be too old to consider for national duties surely?

Jason Mohammad? That's a blast from years gone by. He must be too old to consider for national duties surely?

Yeah he’s about 37, to his credit he does just keep churning out domestic runs, that’s his 13th first class hundred which is probably more I would guess than any active player outside of Brathwaite and Bravo, albeit it’s only this current innings of 189 that would have taken his average over 30 from 90-odd matches.

Brathwaite also finished with 189 overnight, Jangoo turned his century into a double which is rare in the Caribbean comp.

Some interesting additions to the 5 day one centurions were Tevin Imlach who came to Australia as a spare batsman/back up to Josh Da Silva. He made what I think is his third first class century for Guyana in their match against Jamaica, his second century in a row. Da Silva himself made 80(?) or so for T&T against Colleges and Campuses.

The other additional centurion on day two was, sigh. Roston Chase.
He came in on the back of the huge start given to Barbados, who like T and T finished with 500+, by Brathwaite and Zackarie McKaskie, and whacked 127 off 87 balls.

Maybe that’s what he needed to do all along to not turn into the piece of red ball human batting wreckage we know today AS Roston Chase; just go out and smash it.

Some interesting and ongoing positives into the final round of the first class championship:

Mikyle Louis hit his third century of the season this morning for Leewards against Windwards, to go with four half centuries. He’s sitting on 649 runs for the season with an innings to play, averaging 50. I think Chanderpaul’s spot as Brathwaite’s opening partner is in some danger. Leewards were all out for 300, fwiw.

Another eye catching score was a third half century for Jewel Andrew.
Andrew was a standout for WI at the under 19 World Cup. He’s a keeper batsman and comes from the Nicholas Pooran/Chris Gayle/Shimron Hetmeyer mould of seemingly not giving a lot of f**ks for convention when it comes to defending, at least based on his strike rate at the World Cup. He’s done ok so far in the first class comp, he hit his third half century this morning for Leewards.

Josh Da Silva made a timely century for T n T this morning against Jamaica, his form has been pretty up and down this series.

Narine in cracking IPL form, but not making himself available for the World Cup.

“I hope this message finds you all well and in good health. I’m truly flattered and humbled that my performances recently have moved many people to publicly express their wish for me to come out of retirement and play in the upcoming T20 World Cup.
I have made peace with that decision and whilst I never wish to disappoint, that door is now closed and I will be supporting the guys who take the field in June for West Indies. Guys who have worked hard for the past few months and deserve to show our wonderful fans that they are capable of winning another title - I wish you all the best”

Good. Of all the ‘mercanaries’ and yes each of them have had their moments where they have picked and chosen when and what the maroon means to them, and each them equally have had reason to feel at times undervalued by the people managing the game in the West Indies, he is the one I’ve felt perhaps least inclined to actually WANT to contribute whether it’s on his terms or the team’s.

Even down to the idea of worrying that his action will be cited at international level and cause him problems getting franchise contracts.

In this particular instance it’s been so long between drinks I don’t begrudge him anyway, but his attitude has almost always been him-first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back