List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a breath of fresh air 4 from 4 and will hopefully breath new life into the playing group and give those responsible the confidence to chase and secure the big fish going forward.I'm pumped and it's only October.
At the end of this season gone, it was universally identified in the footy world that Geelong had deficiencies in-
MF depth, and strength
KB/KF
Ruck talent/depth.
ALL have been addressed; we should all be optimistic, surely. I am not usually as excited about the next season as I am now. Last time was post 07 GF.
Then the NAB bombshell knocked that excitement off a bit.
But this is so different.

What's sarcastic about it? I think they'll all play if available.

Smith and Stanley rucking, Clark and Vardy supporting Hawkins, and Blicavs in midfield. What is outrageous or sarcastic about that?

I will do my nut if I see both "Clark and Vardy supporting Hawkins" next year. The oppo will set records for rebound 50s.

I know this isn't your personal wish.

The one player I'm most looking forward to next year is a dominant rampaging Hawkins; he is largely our barometer. If he is in that offensively destructive form , we are nearly unmatchable, and if we have a dominant mf/ruck setup as you say, with some good KF distractors, 2016 could be his best year yet.

Love to see it, but there is one mandatory condition.

He has to move around a lot more.

Well that's sad then, you've been sarcastic so often that it's now hard to ascertain a post's true intention. That the default position is now just to assume sarcasm.

In any case I disagree. With Kolo, Lonergan, taylor, Henderson, Mackie and Enright down back along with Bartel (who will play) then having all of Smith, Stanley, Clark, Vardy, Hawkins and Blicavs will make us too slow and cumbersome. Someone will miss out and I'd say it'd could be one from the forwards and one from the backs.

Leopard and spots. Now can't change them.

Sad

Go Catters

Love to see it, but there is one mandatory condition.

He has to move around a lot more.
And a mandatory condition for him moving around a lot more is creating a lot more space for him.

And a mandatory condition for him moving around a lot more is creating a lot more space for him.

I agree with Hawkins needing to move around more and I felt we were almost a player short defensively last year such was his lack of mobility. However, I thought he had enough space to move into, but he opted to stand and wrestle too much. This allowed the spare to get back and make it a 2 on 1, get the ball to ground and away they went.

My question would be where our spare was or were we taking the easy option bombing it into Hawkins. I'm pretty sure he took a lot of his contested one-on-ones up at HF as that was a little less predictable for the opposition to cover.

Or better still, I recall the first time we played the Pies and due to quick ball movement, he and Frost were isolated 4-5 times in the first quarter. I think it pretty much led to a goal each time.

Are you talking about the original discussion? Which one of the rucks/forwards do you see missing out if fit?

Are you about to tell me that post is sarcastic too? Because it isn't.

I honestly can't tell any more. But if you are saying that you are not positing as such, I'll gladly re read it all without the inflection.

GO Catters

Smith and Stanley rucking, Clark and Vardy supporting Hawkins, and Blicavs in midfield. What is outrageous or sarcastic about that?

As for this, Id say you are pretty much right. Id see the only issue being that Clark and Vardy as KPF2 and 3 might be too tall at times. A medium ( Bartel, Menzel, Kersten type) as the #3 I could see.

But as for Rd1, I think you are spot on.

And given that Clark will be managed, and Vardy and Stanley are returning from recent injuries, I think it will be the sum of the parts that make the value rather than the individuals starring per se. The nice part is if we presume one of Smith, Stanley, Clark and Vardy is managed at any given time, it bodes well for the season as a whole.

GO Catters

I agree with Hawkins needing to move around more and I felt we were almost a player short defensively last year such was his lack of mobility. However, I thought he had enough space to move into, but he opted to stand and wrestle too much. This allowed the spare to get back and make it a 2 on 1, get the ball to ground and away they went.

My question would be where our spare was or were we taking the easy option bombing it into Hawkins. I'm pretty sure he took a lot of his contested one-on-ones up at HF as that was a little less predictable for the opposition to cover.

Or better still, I recall the first time we played the Pies and due to quick ball movement, he and Frost were isolated 4-5 times in the first quarter. I think it pretty much led to a goal each time.
I keep reading similar views to yours but I wasn't seeing space for Hawkins to lead into. The bombing to him was, from where I sat, a last resort and a function of constipated ball movement leaving us with no other option.

Kelly, Johnson and stokes must be scratching their heads. We gave them up to have 7 instead of four draft picks at the very end of a shallow draft. We will be lucky if two of those seven are servicable. Wow. I can not believe Geelong is so bad at the negotiating table.
So you'd rather not have Danger, Henderson and Smith coming in and wait for 5 years before our draft picks, from a crap draft, start to be consistent performers, if at all? o_O You should try and give them a little credit in possibly having a clue about their strategic path here. We now have a potential premiership list and you're still whining...

We've now got the core of team that will see out the next 5-7 years so we can start re-focussing on youth again next year in a better draft for the next transition period. I think they are staggering this perfectly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep reading similar views to yours but I wasn't seeing space for Hawkins to lead into. The bombing to him was, from where I sat, a last resort and a function of constipated ball movement leaving us with no other option.

Agree re the constipated ball movement (nice description) that caused us to bomb. That's why I asked the question what our spare players were doing when Hawkins was against multiple players. However, there were plenty of occasions where the forward line appeared to be open and Tom still opted to stand his ground. Essentially as the forward line was open it was up to him to apply the defensive pressure - something he wasn't great at.

Whether it was Hawkins, the players up the ground, or both, there was something awry when he was getting out-marked by smaller opponents in different games this year.

So you'd rather not have Danger, Henderson and Smith coming in and wait for 5 years before our draft picks, from a crap draft, start to be consistent performers, if at all? o_O You should try and give them a little credit in possibly having a clue about their strategic path here. We now have a potential premiership list and you're still whining...

We've now got the core of team that will see out the next 5-7 years so we can start re-focussing on youth again next year in a better draft for the next transition period. I think they are staggering this perfectly.
Um did you quote the wrong post?? What has your comments got to do with what I posted? Seems like a completely different issue.

Kelly, Johnson and stokes must be scratching their heads. We gave them up to have 7 instead of four draft picks at the very end of a shallow draft. We will be lucky if two of those seven are servicable. Wow. I can not believe Geelong is so bad at the negotiating table.
4-5 draft selections as mooted by Wells yesterday.

Hawkins and Selwood have great chemistry, if we can get Joel bursting from middle more, he will get it to Hawkins.

They were both over burdened last year.

I can see us moving Joel to the forward line on a semi-permanent basis now we have Scott and Patrick in the midfield. Selwood is a very clever forward. I'd even go as far to say he's a natural forward.
He would instantly turn us around down there. His defensive pressure is obviously second to none, and he would slot 40 goals too.
The head knocks and wear and tear of playing midfield has taken it's toll. Be a great opportunity for us to also develop a younger player in his place. Kind of like what we did with Bartel shifted to forward/defence and moved up Guthrie into midfield.

4-5 draft selections as mooted by Wells yesterday.
Which means we probably pick up someone in the preseason draft (which by our pick will be no different to picking up the last player in the national draft) and two blank list spots. We will have to fill these eventually. Just passes the buck to end of draft picks in next years draft. It may be a better draft but its still picks in the eighties.

I know we're getting off topic but a fit Hawkins will be one factor, I think we'll see Hawkins' become more important with Dan Menzel back in our F50 regardless :D He's a competitor and a dangerous player for defenders to give any space to. We're either going to see Hawkins one out more often or see the Tomahawk used as a decoy while Menzel gets free and hurts the opposition.

There is no way in the world that all of those big guys will be in the team at the same time.

I take you at your word when you say that there is no sarcasm involved, but it is an outrageous claim IMO.

I can see us moving Joel to the forward line on a semi-permanent basis now we have Scott and Patrick in the midfield. Selwood is a very clever forward. I'd even go as far to say he's a natural forward.
He would instantly turn us around down there. His defensive pressure is obviously second to none, and he would slot 40 goals too.
The head knocks and wear and tear of playing midfield has taken it's toll. Be a great opportunity for us to also develop a younger player in his place. Kind of like what we did with Bartel shifted to forward/defence and moved up Guthrie into midfield.

If not semi-permanent, at least spend more time down there and kick a few goals. That's one thing that dropped off a little for him since 2013 when he kicked 30 goals. Mind you, on-ball is still probably his best spot and hopefully having Danger, Blicavs not rucking and his brother around means he doesn't cop a battering. It might mean he can spend more time forward as you suggest.

There is no way in the world that all of those big guys will be in the team at the same time.

I take you at your word when you say that there is no sarcasm involved, but it is an outrageous claim IMO.

Whilst I think it will be hard to fit them all in on a regular basis (fitness allowing), it will happen at some stage as the MC will need to at least try it out.

I reckon he played better in that game than in the 2011 GF.

Back