List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the NAB cup, maybe. It won't be happening in the regular season though. They will feel no need to try something that they already know will not work. Playing 5 ruck/forwards with the shortest of them being Hawkins would be footballs equivalent of suicide IMO.

I reckon the last few years we've seen some teams picked that have left us all a little confused, hence why I will not be surprised to see it happen during the H&A. Over the years, the coach has commented that they've tried players/set ups at times to see how they go. Not saying I necessarily endorse this approach, however, that is why I believe we may see this.

Yeah the Hawks don't try read the hit outs as such... more just go man on man (literally body on body at the stoppage) with the Freo mids and back themselves in to beat their opponents in a 50/50 ball

And they do it well... campaigners

That's what I was saying. Or it frees up space for outriders to run onto the ball.

Some in the media seem to have different perceptions of Geelong's list. I would hardly describe Geelong's ruck division as "strong". Also an article on the AFL website lists Smith as a depth player, which I hardly think is accurate. Don't know who else they think will be playing ruck for us.
The person who made that comment sounded like King from KROCK who are known to epitomise the notion of 'rose coloured glasses' so wouldn't take much notice tbh.

Some in the media seem to have different perceptions of Geelong's list. I would hardly describe Geelong's ruck division as "strong". Also an article on the AFL website lists Smith as a depth player, which I hardly think is accurate. Don't know who else they think will be playing ruck for us.
Well we HAVE managed without a traditional big guy for a while now- guess it will depend on which setup the coaches will go for. Can't see them bringing him in to play VFL though.

"Fit and healthy...."...like the sound of that. He's a big boy, and it takes time for one of his stature to recover from an ACL...he's had a year back working to full fitness...I suspect Geelong believe his game will move forward pretty quickly second year back.

A reasonable punt I reckon.

In terms of ruck contests he is our best ruckmen by a mile, he might face competition from Vardy and Stanley but there is a good chance we carry two of the three anyway.

We could carry all three. Smith as first ruck, Stanley as a second-string ruck who pushes forward, and Vardy as permanent CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope Zac Smith works on his second efforts and follow ups. Very important for a ruck these days to not just tap but apply pressure/tackles and run around the contest. He is not a big guy by any standards, hopefully he can put on some mass so he doesn't get ragdolled.

By height standards he is pretty f*ckin big :p

"Fit and healthy...."...like the sound of that. He's a big boy, and it takes time for one of his stature to recover from an ACL...he's had a year back working to full fitness...I suspect Geelong believe his game will move forward pretty quickly second year back.

A reasonable punt I reckon.
Plus I'd hazard a guess to say we probably have a better development crew than the Suns.

I think part of ZS effort and work rate issues will be eradicated thru enthusiasm. He clearly, IMO, lost his will a bit up there and a change is a good as a holiday.

Expectations that he will suddenly beat Nic Nat, Goldy, and 211 are unrealistic… but he should be able to increase our first use at clearances, get around the ground well, provide a marking / link up target in transition or at kickins and even snang a few sausages for his efforts.
That already makes him our best #1 ruck ( at 205 and 100kgs) by a mile.
With support from Stanley as #2 and Vardy giving a chop out ( not to mention Blitz as a MF) that could be very solid indeed.

GO Catters

The toll of being belted most every game the guy has played since he began his AFL journey firstly in the U/18's then the AFL with the Suns on top of long term injuries shouldn't be discounted as to why Zac may have lost some enthusiasm for the game.

Similar to how Ottens went from AA to being trade-able for Tigers. Hopefully we see Zac blossom like we did Pill

I think part of ZS effort and work rate issues will be eradicated thru enthusiasm. He clearly, IMO, lost his will a bit up there and a change is a good as a holiday.

Expectations that he will suddenly beat Nic Nat, Goldy, and 211 are unrealistic… but he should be able to increase our first use at clearances, get around the ground well, provide a marking / link up target in transition or at kickins and even snang a few sausages for his efforts.
That already makes him our best #1 ruck ( at 205 and 100kgs) by a mile.
With support from Stanley as #2 and Vardy giving a chop out ( not to mention Blitz as a MF) that could be very solid indeed.

GO Catters
Yes Daz. The magic word- confidence. Once he has it....

Our second best get this trade period

Look out people

When they said he was 205cm I thought it an understatement. Always thought him to be 208 or something like that!
When you see him next to people he's huge.

Last edited:
Back