News Offseason 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

14 Backs, 15 Mids, 14 Forwards
We will need to add five players. This is where I see the likely distribution, inclusive of some positional adjustments (eg: Bruce, Vandermeer, Bedendo)

Defensive talls: Keath, Gardner, L. Jones, Bruce, O'Brien
Interceptors: Khamis, Crozier, Raak
Rebounders: Daniel, Dale, Williams, Richards
Lockdowns: Dureya, +1 Draftee

Rucks: English, Sweet
Mids: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae, Treloar, B. Smith, R. Smith, Vandermeer, Bedendo, Scott, McComb. +2 Draftees

Attacking Talls: Naughton, Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, Lobb
Midsize Forwards: Johnannisen, Hannan
Small Forwards: Weightman, Mc Lean, West, Garcia, A. Jones, McNeil, +2 Draftees

Bruce as a defender definitely makes sense for this group. He’s been pushed to depth in the KPF group but we also know that he can fill a role up forward if he needs to. He doesn’t need to train with the forwards in preseason to know how to play that role but he certainly does for defense.

Bruce as a defender definitely makes sense for this group. He’s been pushed to depth in the KPF group but we also know that he can fill a role up forward if he needs to. He doesn’t need to train with the forwards in preseason to know how to play that role but he certainly does for defense.

Should be able to take the gorillas and help free up Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who are the gorillas? Name names.

Hawkins and Walker, that’s about it. The other KPF’s that give the most trouble are all mobile and quick for their size, like McKay & Cameron.

Bruce isn’t quick enough to play as a KPD, so this idea needs to be shut down before we just put the cue in the rack for 2023, if that’s our golden idea.

We just need players that can go with them, know how to defend & can read the play, not just athletes with some skills.

Bruce isn’t quick enough to play as a KPD, so this idea needs to be shut down before we just put the cue in the rack for 2023, if that’s our golden idea.
He's quicker than Sam Collins, who we chased at trade time.

Collins knows how to defend though, and is pretty good at it
You mentioned speed - a FB can actually cut the lines ok if they know what they're doing, and Bruce started as a KPD.
I prefer him training with the defensive group as he's not getting a game as a forward next year (barring injury)

Bruce was very quick off the mark in 2021 before he did his ACL.

I think we forget just how good he was.

His main strength was being able to get separation from defenders with his speed off the mark.

Of course coming back late this year he was never going to be the same.

I’m backing him in to be close to his best next year after a full pre season.

I think he could potentially be a great full back for us and allow Jones to be released to the CHB position where he can use his elite intercept marking ability.

Then we can have Keath/Gardner as the 3rd tall

Bruce was very quick off the mark in 2021 before he did his ACL.

I think we forget just how good he was.

His main strength was being able to get separation from defenders with his speed off the mark.

Of course coming back late this year he was never going to be the same.

I’m backing him in to be close to his best next year after a full pre season.

I think he could potentially be a great full back for us and allow Jones to be released to the CHB position where he can use his elite intercept marking ability.

Then we can have Keath/Gardner as the 3rd tall
I think Bruce could play the full back role and I’m glad we’re trialing it - but I think I’d only want one of Jones & Bruce there each week, whilst Jones attributes are suited to an intercept defender/CHB the bloke is an out and out full back - he’s probably the most traditional full back left in the league. He needs to play back shoulder and wrestle with the gorillas, and he’s bloody good at it.

If we try and play Jones 10m of his opponent guarding grass as we love to do, we’re not gonna have a good time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bruce could play the full back role and I’m glad we’re trialing it - but I think I’d only want one of Jones & Bruce there each week, whilst Jones attributes are suited to an intercept defender/CHB the bloke is an out and out full back - he’s probably the most traditional full back left in the league. He needs to play back shoulder and wrestle with the gorillas, and he’s bloody good at it.

If we try and play Jones 10m of his opponent guarding grass as we love to do, we’re not gonna have a good time

I seem to remember Jones being very good at taking a mark when allowed to have a run and jump at it. It will be interesting to see how we set up. Hopefully it's not the 5m ahead of the opponent all year again.

Some older players I could make out that came back early with the 1-4 year players were Lobb, Libba, Dale, Jones, McLean, O’Brien & Roarke.

Also noticed Stef Martin holding a bump bag so looks like he’ll be staying on in a development coach capacity.

Some older players I could make out that came back early with the 1-4 year players were Lobb, Libba, Dale, Jones, McLean, O’Brien & Roarke.

Also noticed Stef Martin holding a bump bag so looks like he’ll be staying on in a development coach capacity.
Lobb, Jones, McLean need to get in early, O'Brien can do with the extra time ;).

Rory Lobb has started training today one of the pictures the club put up you can see him in the background. Their is so an article in the West Australian about him starting early but couldn’t get pass the payroll

Rory Lobb has started training today one of the pictures the club put up you can see him in the background. Their is so an article in the West Australian about him starting early but couldn’t get pass the payroll

This one?

AFL pre-season: Former Fremantle Docker Rory Lobb to hit the track early with new Western Bulldogs teammates

Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Sun, 20 November 2022 1:29PM

Former Fremantle big man Rory Lobb will hit the track early at his new club Western Bulldogs as he looks to make the most of his third AFL chance.

The 207cm forward/ruck is one of several senior Bulldogs players returning for pre-season duties two weeks earlier than required alongside the club’s first-to-fourth-year players at Whitten Oval on Monday.

Fellow recruit Liam Jones, who returns to the club for the first time since 2014 after seven seasons at Carlton and another away from the AFL due to his vaccination status, will be another veteran Dog coming back early.

Lobb got his wish to be traded to the Bulldogs in a final-hour deal last month, despite still having a year to run on his contract, signing a lucrative four-year contract at his new club.

Fremantle received pick 30 and a future second-round selection in exchange for Lobb, which was on-traded along with ruckman Lloyd Meek as part of the deal for Hawthorn star Jaeger O’Meara.

The 29-year-old is coming off a career-best season at the Dockers, booting 36 goals from 21 games.

He made 66 appearances all up for Fremantle, kicking 79 majors across four seasons, after starting his career at Greater Western Sydney (64 goals in 74 games) back in 2014.

Lobb spoke about the reasons for his high-profile trade move last month.

“I feel what’s best for me is to move to Melbourne with my partner and that’s where I’ve gone... I need to do what’s best for me and my mental state,” he explained.

The Bulldogs’ 2022 campaign was ended by Fremantle at Optus Stadium in the first week of finals.

Last edited:
This one?

AFL pre-season: Former Fremantle Docker Rory Lobb to hit the track early with new Western Bulldogs teammates
Headshot of Jordan McArdle
Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Sun, 20 November 2022 1:29PM
Comments
Jordan McArdle
Former Fremantle big man Rory Lobb will hit the track early at his new club Western Bulldogs as he looks to make the most of his third AFL chance.

The 207cm forward/ruck is one of several senior Bulldogs players returning for pre-season duties two weeks earlier than required alongside the club’s first-to-fourth-year players at Whitten Oval on Monday.

Fellow recruit Liam Jones, who returns to the club for the first time since 2014 after seven seasons at Carlton and another away from the AFL due to his vaccination status, will be another veteran Dog coming back early.

undefined

Lobb got his wish to be traded to the Bulldogs in a final-hour deal last month, despite still having a year to run on his contract, signing a lucrative four-year contract at his new club.

Fremantle received pick 30 and a future second-round selection in exchange for Lobb, which was on-traded along with ruckman Lloyd Meek as part of the deal for Hawthorn star Jaeger O’Meara.

The 29-year-old is coming off a career-best season at the Dockers, booting 36 goals from 21 games.

He made 66 appearances all up for Fremantle, kicking 79 majors across four seasons, after starting his career at Greater Western Sydney (64 goals in 74 games) back in 2014.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Rory Lobb of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2022 AFL Round 16 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Port Adelaide Power at Optus Stadium on July 03, 2022 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Will Russell/AFL Photos) No
Lobb spoke about the reasons for his high-profile trade move last month.

“I feel what’s best for me is to move to Melbourne with my partner and that’s where I’ve gone... I need to do what’s best for me and my mental state,” he explained.

The Bulldogs’ 2022 campaign was ended by Fremantle at Optus Stadium in the first week of finals.
That’s the one thanks mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back