Competitions Offseason anyone bored enough to play a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd forgotten about that. Only chose him cos the options for a forward pocket are getting very thin and he did have a pretty reasonable goals per game ratio.

I'd forgotten about that. Only chose him cos the options for a forward pocket are getting very thin and he did have a pretty reasonable goals per game ratio.
He was a pretty decent player by all accounts. I only saw him when I was a young tacker so only barely remember him from 92 (I would have been 6 or so).

What I more vividly remember is the melee he started in the 2004 GF in Cairns which he got an 8 year suspension from all footy for... But I'm sure he was a good player in his time (just don't let him near an umpire).

Anyone that saw South play in the 70's especially the 1970 match against Collingwood at the Lake oval (still my favorite game) would know a perfect forward pocket who played over 100 games.

Anyone that saw South play in the 70's especially the 1970 match against Collingwood at the Lake oval (still my favorite game) would know a perfect forward pocket who played over 100 games.
That side looked pretty darn good on paper. We had Skilts, Bedders, Rantall etc but we still struggled big time...

If the player you're thinking of ended up going to Fitzroy to finish his career then yes, he's on my shortlist.

I've got a handful of names listed that after doing a bit of research I reckon would have gone earlier had they been more modern day players. This has been a great way to do some research on past players, I feel like I was missing out on some important and interesting history before doing this. Been great.

Last edited:
Lol. We should all have an xmas party selection...I've taken mine (Towers). Why not take TDL or Tony Armstrong or something?
There are not enough ciders in the world to make me pick Armstrong.

I'll take Paddy Scanlan please.

storeymjs your're up.

John Pitura for me. Recruited to Souths by Norm Smith. Played 99 games with us (I think) and 40 odd with Richmond. Solid centerman/half-forward flanker. Was the man that was traded for Graham Teasdale

SSwans2011 back to you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To round out my team, I will take Gordon Lane. 350 goals in 178 games. 6 goals for Essendon in the 1946 Grand Final, and 7 in 1946. Regarded as 'the best CHF' in the game by Jack Dyer in 1946. Moved to South after injuring his knee in 1950, and was captain/coach for 3 seasons.

FB: Jim Dorgan - John Heriot - Jim Taylor
HB: Ron Hillis - Paul Roos - Paul Williams
C: Herbie Matthews - John Murphy - Mark Browning
HF: Bill Williams - Gordon Lane - Max Papley
FF: Dinny McKay - John Roberts - Kurt Tippett
Foll: Mike Pyke - Bruce Sloss - Keith Schaefer

My forward line is awfully small with Roberts and Lane 186 and 187cm respectively, but it has plenty of goal-kicking ability. For example, Bill Williams kicked 97 in a season. Then we also have John Murphy who can go forward and kick plenty on goals.

To round out my team, I will take Gordon Lane. 350 goals in 178 games. 6 goals for Essendon in the 1946 Grand Final, and 7 in 1946. Regarded as 'the best CHF' in the game by Jack Dyer in 1946. Moved to South after injuring his knee in 1950, and was captain/coach for 3 seasons.

FB: Jim Dorgan - John Heriot - Jim Taylor
HB: Ron Hillis - Paul Roos - Paul Williams
C: Herbie Matthews - John Murphy - Mark Browning
HF: Bill Williams - Gordon Lane - Max Papley
FF: Dinny McKay - John Roberts - Kurt Tippett
Foll: Mike Pyke - Bruce Sloss - Keith Schaefer

My forward line is awfully small with Roberts and Lane 186 and 187cm respectively, but it has plenty of goal-kicking ability. For example, Bill Williams kicked 97 in a season. Then we also have John Murphy who can go forward and kick plenty on goals.

Tippett would do the job for height and general tankiness you'd think? :D

People have selected guys like AJ with the disclaimer "if not for injury" or "If not for war"..... SO... Based on that....

Based on not just his potential but also the amazing attitude and courage he showed during his career. I'm going to go for Gareth John.

If you aren't aware of him I'd highly recommend reading up on his career. What a tough SOB.

Scott Stevens

B:
S Stevens - F Goldsmith - A Johnson
HB: V Belcher - B Picken - D Rampe
C: T Brain - R O'Keefe - S Grant
HF: A Schneider - L Mortimer - H Morgan
F: M Morton - S Minton-Connell - H Brereton
R: R Cazaly - K Jack - B Skilton

Can't be stuffed drafting a bench, will happily just have Mark Seaby as my sub and be done.

miggs

Last edited:
Anyone know any decent defenders left?
I believe Scott Stevens has been overlooked for a number of completely undersized "key" defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back