Offseason Changes + Road to the 2021 Premiership

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You're talking about 2 Brownlow medalists. Pretty hard to find. Yeo can push forward and take a grab but we can't afford to lose his aggression around the ball.

No doubt, I’m not suggesting those kind of players grow on trees. It was more a comment on the value of having a big-bodied midfielder who can also take contested marks up forward, particularly in the context of Cripps potentially heading into free agency soon. Petracca and Shaun Higgins would be other examples.

I agree re: Yeo being needed around the ball. Plus his goals usually tend to come in open play rather than from him taking contested grabs

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think if we're any chance in 2022 we need to start planning for JK's decline in 2021. At 196cm with long arms and strong hands he's going to leave a bigger hole than you realize. Darling and Waterman are only 191cm, Allen maybe 193cm. To counter that next year I'd like to see McGovern used more in the Adam Hunter role, swinging him forward and back, depending on matchups or Opposition coaching tactics. It seems they're spending more time scheming to cut out his intercepts than they do worrying about our midfield (which is alarming but a separate topic). And the smarter teams like Port and Richmond easily worked the ball around him this year. Collingwood negated his influence in the final too.

Woosh might have been sledged as a one trick pony for the Hunter switch forward as his only real counter move but at least he had one, and it worked! Simmo does nothing when Gov can't get into the game through tactics. Christ if SOS was pushed forward by Carlton back in the day there's no reason we can't do the same with Jezza.

And if Simmo did grow enough seeds to push Gov forward, he should play him deep, push Darling and Allen up and leave him one out. He's the same height as JK but with better hands. It would be a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul but Barrass and Rotham held there own down there with assorted 2nd and 3rd tall's when Gov was out this year. I like Harry Edwards potential and Brander can be used down back as well if he doesn't work out on the wing.

Dislike. I appreciate the value in have versatile players, but that should predominately be in their normal zone. i.e. lock down backman, intercept backman, offensive backman.

I hate the idea of moving Gov forward (last minute hail Mary aside).

We would significantly be letting the other team off the hook, by not letting Gov play to his strength.

It's like when Freo talk about playing Fyfe forward. Or Geelong play Danger forward. Yes they can get results, but to me you are moving the best mids in the game out of the middle. And the opposition would prefer that. Dusty is a bit odd I would argue that forward is more his zone than mid.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Was a rumour sent into Sen this morning that we are into Brayden Fiorini from the suns. 50games played left footed goal kicking midfielder would be a good get.
What's his height . Weight. Birthplace and quad size?

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Fiorini makes sense from a demographic and style point of view but he can be a bit of a butcher can't he?

I guess you weigh up the probability of getting someone better at pick 32 and it's probably low to be fair.

And that's just assuming there's any truth to the rumour at all

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Fiorini makes sense from a demographic and style point of view but he can be a bit of a butcher can't he?

I guess you weigh up the probability of getting someone better at pick 32 and it's probably low to be fair.

I wonder??:
10 seconds on google:
The Gold Coast SUNS are excited to announce that Brayden Fiorini has extended his contract until the end of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Last week confirmed as a member of the club’s leadership group, at 22, Fiorini has played 47 games for the SUNS as he prepares for his fifth season in the AFL.

In making his decision, Fiorini said that a major influence was that the Gold Coast felt like home.

“We’ve been here for five years now and me and my partner Molly, really feel like the Gold Coast is home.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

Seems like his career efficiency is just under 70% which isnt to bad.. being a left footer ads something different to out midfield set up and also averages 4 tackles a game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder??:
10 seconds on google:
The Gold Coast SUNS are excited to announce that Brayden Fiorini has extended his contract until the end of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Last week confirmed as a member of the club’s leadership group, at 22, Fiorini has played 47 games for the SUNS as he prepares for his fifth season in the AFL.

In making his decision, Fiorini said that a major influence was that the Gold Coast felt like home.

“We’ve been here for five years now and me and my partner Molly, really feel like the Gold Coast is home.

Played about 5 games this year. Might be wanting opportunity.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
i reckon it could be ironed out. He’s had games where he’s kicked four
Maybe it could, but I disagree wholeheartedly that he would be a good get to play him primarily up forward. Paying a kings ransom for one of the best midfield ball extractors only to play him as a project HFF is extremely poor list management.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe it could, but I disagree wholeheartedly that he would be a good get to play him primarily up forward. Paying a kings ransom for one of the best midfield ball extractors only to play him as a project HFF is extremely poor list management.
Agree. I can't see where he'd fit in the squad at the moment, and he's not a long-term project given he's 24 next season. I'd back in sheed/kelly/gaff/shuey/yeo/redden for the immediate future and pump midfield minutes into XON, duggan.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I wonder??:
10 seconds on google:

that’s from 2019 right?

Things can change - if he’s out of favour there which he appears to be, a bit of interest from WC would be an attractive notion

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Seems like his career efficiency is just under 70% which isnt to bad.. being a left footer ads something different to out midfield set up and also averages 4 tackles a game

Other than Sheed, Gaff and Ainsworth?

Oh....and Duggan when he's in there.

I would like to see us reward the run and overlap a bit more. Jackson Nelson often zips past leaving the backline but is burnt. If we promote that play and dish the handball bit more I think we’ll be much more dangerous. I’m not saying throw out our game style, just use it the handball when it’s on.

Just like TK to Cole in the dying moments of 2020?

I'm being a jerk of course. i actually totally agree with you. We need to mix things up far more often as we are too predictable in our transition.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
IMG_0671.JPG

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other than Sheed, Gaff and Ainsworth?

Oh....and Duggan when he's in there.

Duggans played how many games in the midfield? Gaffs a winger, sheed cant tackle and has no pace and ainsworths a potato.....

He would leapfrog at least two of those

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggans played how many games in the midfield? Gaffs a winger, sheed cant tackle and has no pace and ainsworths a potato.....

He would leapfrog at least two of those

Just saying.......we have 4 players running through the midfield who are left footers.....
Whereas you said Fiorini being a lefty would add something different....
No way he is coming anyway so let's not get too excited eh?

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Dislike. I appreciate the value in have versatile players, but that should predominately be in their normal zone. i.e. lock down backman, intercept backman, offensive backman.

I hate the idea of moving Gov forward (last minute hail Mary aside).

We would significantly be letting the other team off the hook, by not letting Gov play to his strength.
Direct from Wikipedia
In his fourth year on West Coast's playing list, McGovern finally made his senior debut for the club in round six of the 2014 season, against Carlton at Etihad Stadium.[6] He was dropped for the next game, but returned in round twelve against Hawthorn as a like-for-like replacement for Josh Kennedy (who had a fractured cheekbone).[8] McGovern kicked 10 goals across the next four games, and held his spot for the rest of the year. Overall he managed 13 games in 2014, playing predominantly as a swingman in a similar vein to how Adam Hunter was used under John Worsfold.

Simmo has done it before and the only reason he stayed back was when MacKenzie went down. All I'm saying is he's played forward, back and rucked and should be used wherever he can have the biggest impact. I think kicking 4 goals trumps 6 intercept marks if we can cover his absence

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Direct from Wikipedia
In his fourth year on West Coast's playing list, McGovern finally made his senior debut for the club in round six of the 2014 season, against Carlton at Etihad Stadium.[6] He was dropped for the next game, but returned in round twelve against Hawthorn as a like-for-like replacement for Josh Kennedy (who had a fractured cheekbone).[8] McGovern kicked 10 goals across the next four games, and held his spot for the rest of the year. Overall he managed 13 games in 2014, playing predominantly as a swingman in a similar vein to how Adam Hunter was used under John Worsfold.

Simmo has done it before and the only reason he stayed back was when MacKenzie went down. All I'm saying is he's played forward, back and rucked and should be used wherever he can have the biggest impact. I think kicking 4 goals trumps 6 intercept marks if we can cover his absence

No doubt at all that he can do it.

But he is an AA defender. For mine we let the oppo of the hook when we move him out of the back line.

If we have other good forwards why wouldn't we opt to have 6 intercept marks and 4 goals? Our forward line is generally stacked. Making it more staked and weakening out defense does not hit my spot.

Back