Offseason Changes + Road to the 2021 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

We are so far off the level of Richmond. They have every player that will do anything to succeed.
They are the template for what A team does, rarely have bad days and they are ruthless in their pursuit for success.
Hardwick clearly has set a bar that they all have to buy in to. No excuses, matters not where they play or who they play they turn up and try their guts out.
With our talent and that type of will for success we would be a contender. Sadly we don’t have the will.

To be honest it with the list we have its been a wasted two seasons not even making a prelim final but the changes needed include a clever small forward and some more pace in the middle

Was trying to imagine my ideal 22 for the end of 2021, only using players currently on the list. Came up with...

FB: J Rotham, T Barrass, T Cole
HB: B Sheppard, J McGovern, J Nelson
C: A Gaff, L Duggan, L Shuey
HF: J Cripps, J Darling, J Waterman
FF: L Ryan, O Allen, J Cameron

R: N Naitanui, T Kelly, E Yeo

I: D Sheed, X O’Neill, J Jones, B Williams

Redden would be the ‘victim’ of Duggan’s permanent shift into the midfield, with O’Neill taking the bench spot ahead of him because of his higher potential to contribute on the outside. Shuey to extend his career through being phased out into a wing and HFF. Kelly would rotate with Shuey in these positions also.

Hurn, Kennedy the other obvious players on the way out at that stage.

This side works under the (hopefully inaccurate) assumption that Rioli and Venables won’t be available, and that Cameron will be fit and improving again next year. I’m also quite optimistic that Jones can be a solid contributor to the side. Jones would go out for either of the above if they’re back.

Think it’s a generally solid 22 but the depth behind it obviously needs to be added to. Brander remains the big unknown for me, I don’t see where he fits into this 22 considering his development thus far.

Petruccelle the other big question mark. I think he needs a big WAFL run next year. Both he and Brander have too much talent to not be contributors, realistically.

Last edited:
I think the biggest single need, in terms of personnel is a big lock-down defender. I thought Schofield actually improved our defence when he was given a game. Harry Edwards could be an option. Barrass could work on this aspect of his game.

In terms of ball movement, we’ve got to be prepared to move the ball down the corridor more frequently, if for no other reason than to prevent our opponents stacking their defence down the line.

I think if we could achieve those two things, it would eliminate 75% of our problems.

Was trying to imagine my ideal 22 for the end of 2021, only using players currently on the list. Came up with...

FB: J Rotham, T Barrass, T Cole
HB: B Sheppard, J McGovern, J Nelson
C: A Gaff, L Duggan, L Shuey
HF: J Cripps, J Darling, J Waterman
FF: L Ryan, O Allen, J Cameron

R: N Naitanui, T Kelly, E Yeo

I: D Sheed, X O’Neill, J Jones, B Williams

Redden would be the ‘victim’ of Duggan’s permanent shift into the midfield, with O’Neill taking the bench spot ahead of him because of his higher potential to contribute on the outside. Shuey to extend his career through being phased out into a wing and HFF. Kelly would rotate with Shuey in these positions also.

Hurn, Kennedy the other obvious players on the way out at that stage.

This side works under the (hopefully inaccurate) assumption that Rioli and Venables won’t be available, and that Cameron will be fit and improving again next year. I’m also quite optimistic that Jones can be a solid contributor to the side. Jones would go out for either of the above if they’re back.

Think it’s a generally solid 22 but the depth behind it obviously needs to be added to. Brander remains the big unknown for me, I don’t see where he fits into this 22 considering his development thus far.

Petruccelle the other big question mark. I think he needs a big WAFL run next year. Both he and Brander have too much talent to not be contributors, realistically.

So no Hurn and Kennedy, I take it s**t has hit the fan?

There is no way we are competing for a flag without JK playing FF next season.

*unless injured.

Win 10+ in Perth (from 12).

Win 6+ on the road (from 10).

Play out every game and achieve percentage of 125%+.

Secure a Top 2 spot and home final. Win week 1. Win prelim. Make history.

Based on the squad year the 10+ home wins look achievable no matter who the opposition is.

The 6 on the road will be assisted by being placed in the "mid" draw pool hopefully. The mix of teams faced at home/away critical. Playing the Top 6 away will make this assignment more difficult.

Best 22 risk: Age of Kennedy, Hurn, Shuey, Redden

Best 22 opportunity: Improvement in Allen, Rotham, Brander, Ainsworth, O'Neill (confident they all move up a cog again next season)

Best 22 opportunity: Rioli return

Best 22 risk: Small forward crumbers (Petrucelle/Cameron) progress stalling

Trade target: Nil (hold picks)

Trade bait: Nil. Hickey possibly for a really good deal but would rather keep him for the depth.

Play out the draft, speed and skill No 1 on list. Good for high risk/high reward with picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back