Offseason illicit drug tests - now with new thread title

Remove this Banner Ad

They can be discussed no problems but the fact is the majority of people in Australua are comfortable with them being illegal for obvious reasons?
It's cute that you ask that question, I think the view would change based on the particular drug, I wouldn't be surprised if marijuana was above 50% approval, that's probably the only one though.

They can be discussed no problems but the fact is the majority of people in Australua are comfortable with them being illegal for obvious reasons?
'xyz is illegal therefore it's bad' is a lazy argument. it requires no thinking on your part. it's that type of thinking that left women unable to vote all those years ago. every country in the world that has implemented a more progressive drug policy as seen positive results. in time australia will do it too. we just need society's old geezers with their ancient 'punish everybody' ideologies to start dying off.

It's cute that you ask that question, I think the view would change based on the particular drug, I wouldn't be surprised if marijuana was above 50% approval, that's probably the only one though.

And what were the 11 positive tested players positive for? We saw pictures of both Carlisle and Bennell snorting coke!

'xyz is illegal therefore it's bad' is a lazy argument. it requires no thinking on your part. it's that type of thinking that left women unable to vote all those years ago. every country in the world that has implemented a more progressive drug policy as seen positive results. in time australia will do it too. we just need society's old geezers with their ancient 'punish everybody' ideologies to start dying off.

Or should we follow the stance of the country with the best result for drug use being Singapore, if you want to be the best ?

Surprises me that so many have got done in this manner. Surely the majority of players would've worked out how to do some lines in the off-season discretely, otherwise surely there would be a ton of players with 3 strikes by now?

Hair testing lasts for months.

And what were the 11 positive tested players positive for? We saw pictures of both Carlisle and Bennell snorting coke!
It's irrelevant what they tested positive for. A bunch of players have tested positive, we don't know how many, which clubs, which players, what for or whether it's a first offence.

I don't care who did what, it has zero impact on the season.

True as they are illegal much to your disgust!
I see no reason for marijuana to be demonized worse than alcohol or tobacco but I'm not disgusted.
I don't lump all drugs into the same category either.
I think there are arguments for some but not all.

I don't think the current attitude to drugs is doing anything to fix the problems and the world isn't a black and white and you seem to want it to be.

Seems to me there are 2 views in this and the PA has he power here.

So if the AFL had any balls they would say you have 2 choices.

1. Full testing with no 2nd chances, 1st strike = named and 1 week.

2. No testing free for all.

Seems to me there are 2 views in this and the PA has he power here.

So if the AFL had any balls they would say you have 2 choices.

1. Full testing with no 2nd chances, 1st strike = named and 1 week.

2. No testing free for all.
If the AFL takes that hard line on recreational drug use after trying to sweep systematic doping under the rug because they think that will be more damaging to the brand what does that say about this country.... It's OK to cheat as long as you only get pissed afterwards?

I've got many a story of current players and what they get up to at certain clubs in Melbourne, NSW and QLD that a few of my mates manage. Stories about players getting ejected after misbehaving on the gear, etc, etc.

It's quite sad actually to see because these blokes are supposed to be role models for the kids who look up to them.
Even so, 80-90% seems astronomically high.

You don't give a stuff but the AFL want to protect the image of the game so they can negotiate billion dollar deals, which means the players can earn on average $300k per annum. Without that image it could cost them income, what do you think the players thoughts would be if they lost a $100k or two because of the image they are creating?

Well if the AFL didn't do their illicit drug testing and release the results then nobody would know that AFL players are doing illicit drugs unless they're dumb enough to take photos or videos of themselves doing it like Carlisle or they go completely off the rails and get arrested in public like Cousins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't have said this better myself...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...achlan-should-be-as-well-20160325-gnr0s8.html

Here is a serious question for you. In terms of the overall well-being of the AFL, do you think it more important that the AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan be clear-headed and totally focused at all times, or a 19-year-old squad member of one of the AFL teams?

Me, I am going to go with McLachlan on this one, and I suspect, for once, I will brook no opposition. McLachlan is on a base salary and bonus, said to be over $2 million, a fair indication of how important the AFL judges his role to be.

So to the next question. Why isn't the AFL checking him for recreational drugs, the way they are the players, giving them exactly the same tests which 11 Collingwood players have just reportedly failed?

In fact, why aren't all the AFL Commissioners, and all the senior management of the AFL, and all the club presidents and all the coaches and their staff all being regularly tested, just the way the players are?

I mean it. You and I, like almost all Australians, are not asked by our employers to provide swab tests and the like to prove we don't smoke dope or take cocaine or ecstasy or whatever – and if asked would refuse to do it – but for some reason, professional sportspeople regularly have to do this. But never the administrators of the game or the clubs, and never the coaches.

For what reason? Isn't this the equivalent of running an airline, where everybody but the pilots and the people in Air Traffic Control are tested? But it is important, I hear you say, the players be clean and clear-eyed, because they have to perform at a high level? Ok, then, lets return to the original question. The game has already said that McLachlan is 20 times more important than the Collingwood squad member, because it is paying him 20 times as much. So why force the player, but not the CEO? I've got you, and you know it.

Eddie McGuire is right. The current system is a farce. What players do on a Saturday night, and what they ingest is none of our damn business. You can wish they wouldn't take drugs, but, ultimately so long as they are not performance-enhancing the game has absolutely no right to know if they do or don't.

my thoughts from a thread on the lions board.
i am probably in the minority here but if the drugs taken are not performance enhancing eg. weed. i have no problem with it if it is done in the off season and does not affect their ability to train and turn up at the start of pre season training in the expected condition.
i am for the decriminalization/legalization of "recreational drugs".
it turned out i was actually not in the minority.

more detailed discussion of the broader issue if interested.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/recreational-drugs-decriminalize-or-not.1122541/

If a player dies of a drug overdoes will everyone still have the opinion "you can do what you want with your life outside of work"?

Jeremy Cameron gets rubbed out for 4 weeks for a bad bump in a shitty practice game, I suggest he should have taken the night of to do some coke and ice. Fresh and ready for round one.

Exactly this... Why are resources being wasted on this?????

Yes test them for performance enhancing drugs but why recreational drugs?????????????
Because recreational drugs are illegal????????????
Because many employers have a drug testing policy also, so why should AFL players be exempt???????????????
Because the AFL is trying to protect its image??????????????????????????
There was so much angst last year when Hodgy got busted for DUI...Imagine if 13 players all got done for Drug driving https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/penalties/drug-driving-penalties

Who is the banana that wrote that, there are plenty of Aussie workers subjected to drug tests working 50 or 60 hour weeks getting paid bugger all! He might want to do so e investigation on what occupations get tested!

Yep spot on.

When will the AFL players and the peanut Marsh representing them come to grips with the fact that AFL players have chosen to play the sport. It's highly rewarding in financial terms and high profile.

That high profile comes at a cost. The cost is that they are under more public scrutiny, they are role models for kids that look up to them as god like.

As a result the players need to act in a manner that sets an example for these kids and represents a good image.

If players are not happy about their high profiles, being role models and being under public scrutiny then they should leave the game straight away and go get a job that pays $40 an hour and is anonymous.

Politicians are in the same boat, high scrutiny but high rewards and perks.

Once again the AFLPA want it both ways and the AFL themselves are just an embarrassment the way they handle it.

Because recreational drugs are illegal????????????
Because many employers have a drug testing policy also, so why should AFL players be exempt???????????????
Because the AFL is trying to protect its image??????????????????????????
There was so much angst last year when Hodgy got busted for DUI...Imagine if 13 players all got done for Drug driving https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/penalties/drug-driving-penalties

1) So the AFL are now the police?

2) And may organisations don't have drug testing. Those organisations where having a clear mind is essential drug test. I'm certainly not drug tested and what I do on my own time is my business not my employer's.

3) Yes the AFL are protecting its image and doing a pretty horrible job of it.

4) If players got busted for drug driving, they would expect to be treated by the law (just like Luke Hodge was), just like anyone else would. It is the player's responsibility not their employer to comply with the laws of the land.

PS Notice I made my points without resorting to hitting the question mark key repeatedly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back