AFLW Offseason List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

As we speak my observations day 1

Geelong conforming to the spirit of expansion by bringing home expats to Geelong in Hoare, Teague and Cranston. While Hickey from Darebin is the relative to Geelong legend.

North have been unexpectedly conforming to the rules not the spirit - of bringing home Melb Uni and Tassie girls
1. Emma Kearney - MU tick
2. Jess Duffin - Diamond Creek
3. Jas Garner - St Kilda Sharks
4. Jenna Bruton - St Kilda Sharks
5. Danielle Hardeman - Cranbourne
6. Katherine Gillespie-Jones - Seaford
7. Tahlia Randall - Wilston Grange
8. Jamie Stanton - Coolangatta Tweed
9. Daria Bannister - Ex Tassie tick
10. Maddison Smith - Local Tassie tick

Surprised no GWS players signed. My explanation is that AFL haven't signed off yet or will be a second strike in the trade period for the original clubs to replace the first expansion.

Ohhh the spirit. Sure, we all want to get drawn down that rabbit hole.

I'm sure North would liked to have brought Ellie Blackburn back. Oh holy spirit, why hast thou forsaken us!

Geelong conforming to the spirit of expansion by bringing home expats to Geelong in Hoare, Teague and Cranston. While Hickey from Darebin is the relative to Geelong legend.

North have been unexpectedly conforming to the rules not the spirit - of bringing home Melb Uni and Tassie girls

Surprised no GWS players signed. My explanation is that AFL haven't signed off yet or will be a second strike in the trade period for the original clubs to replace the first expansion.

I must have missed this "spirit of expansion" idea. I thought the idea was that each club assembled the strongest list they could, within the rules. Where did this spirit come from and does it apply to the AFL as well as the AFLW?

The clubs the girls came from had every opportunity to counter offer, these aren't free hits.
They did, North asked for Vescio, she said no, so they moved down their shopping list. Probably a few turned down offers (from all clubs) before some players did accept.

It probably didn't help existing clubs that they didn't know the pay structure, to help counter offers.

Huh?

You realise that NMFC have been aligned with MUWFC for years? And that its the longest association by any AFL club with a womens team???

Do you also realise that NMFC are hoping to fill half of the list with Tasmanian players over time???

Of course, NMFC are targeting players with these backgrounds... and naturally because of NMFC's relationships with both MUWFC and Tasmnia, many of players with those backgrounds are happy to join NMFC.

Huh?

You realise that NMFC have been aligned with MUWFC for years? And that its the longest association by any AFL club with a womens team???

Do you also realise that NMFC are hoping to fill half of the list with Tasmanian players over time???

Of course, NMFC are targeting players with these backgrounds... and naturally because of NMFC's relationships with both MUWFC and Tasmnia, many of players with those backgrounds are happy to join NMFC.

I think Caputo was suggesting that according to an imaginary "spirit of expansion" North Melbourne should only target players with MUWFC or Tasmanian backgrounds. That of course is a fiction and would be completely unreasonable, making it impossible for us to develop a competitive list for 2019

I think Caputo was suggesting that according to an imaginary "spirit of expansion" North Melbourne should only target players with MUWFC or Tasmanian backgrounds. That of course is a fiction and would be completely unreasonable, making it impossible for us to develop a competitive list for 2019
That's even more laughable. Did the rest of the AFLW clubs only fill their team with players from their VFLW/state teams?

Maybe I was naive and to be honest I was surprised at the first two Brisbane girls signed. I thought you would target Ashmore, Wuetschner, Hildebrand with Gibson and maybe Exon and Ayres.

Maybe I was naive and to be honest I was surprised at the first two Brisbane girls signed. I thought you would target Ashmore, Wuetschner, Hildebrand with Gibson and maybe Exon and Ayres.

Maybe targeting and signing are different altogether. We know who was signed but not who was targeted

Apparently Hildebrand has been seen at a Norths training session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11. Brittany Gibson - Lions Ex Tassie
12. Elisha King - North Cairns
13. Georgia Nanscawen - Swan Districts
14. Ash Riddell - Melbourne Uni

Updated the above list.

I think what has caught everyone by surprise is that the Lions have been raided by either North or Geelong.

It was anticipated that North and Geelong would have just raided the Victorian teams, with maybe one or two Lions going to North (ex-Vics) as part of a trade, rather than a straight signing (like Tayla Harris last year).

Poor Lions lose four good players (at least) and will then have to hand over who knows how many players to the Suns for season 2020.

You dont just rip 6 players out of a side and pretend everythings sunshine and roses.

All teams will probably lose players. The standard of every team is likely to go backwards not just ours.

I think what has caught everyone by surprise is that the Lions have been raided by either North or Geelong.

It was anticipated that North and Geelong would have just raided the Victorian teams, with maybe one or two Lions going to North (ex-Vics) as part of a trade, rather than a straight signing (like Tayla Harris last year).

Poor Lions lose four good players (at least) and will then have to hand over who knows how many players to the Suns for season 2020.

It's interesting that the other non-Vic teams haven't lost any yet but the melbourne uni and tasmanian connection wasn't going to help the Lions.

I feel the same sentiment as iBeng. I was expecting to get raided by the Suns for the 2020 season, not North Melbourne-Tasmania for next year. Certainly was not expecting to lose Stanton and Randall

If the players who have opted to switch club were important enough, the original team has the option to match whatever offer is made for them? Geelong and North simply can't offer more money for everyone as they wont have enough to form their own team, it is why they are largely focusing on emerging talent and the odd star rather than build a supercoach-like team.

If the players who have opted to switch club were important enough, the original team has the option to match whatever offer is made for them? Geelong and North simply can't offer more money for everyone as they wont have enough to form their own team, it is why they are largely focusing on emerging talent and the odd star rather than build a supercoach-like team.

But in the end if a player wants to move then they'll probably move. Trades are tough for non-vic teams because draft order is pointless for them.

But in the end if a player wants to move then they'll probably move. Trades are tough for non-vic teams because draft order is pointless for them.

We only read about the ones that actually move. I am sure there have been plenty of players Geelong and us preferred to have and put offers to that were matched by the clubs. The AFL also has veto rights to prevent a club from losing all of it's best players.

If people think it is bad now, it is going to get a lot worse, at least you had a couple of years to settle a team somewhat, in 2020 there will be another 4 teams that will come in and we will be getting raided the moment our foot is in the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back