AFLW Offseason List Changes

Spot on Beng. Interesting that Starcevich has had a crack at them for disrespecting the spirit of the competition. However some of the players they have picked up are really not that good. Sides like the Bulldogs and Brisbane still have far more talented lists and North will not get anywhere near them.
Looking forward to bumping this after we take home the premiership

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
North have a good start, but what they have selected is not good enough to win it if they do not get decent quality with another half dozen or so, and the indication is, they have shunted themselves down the draft order. I am picking Adelaide as the team to beat, having the NT in the VFLW gives good experience to their AFLW players, and they get a good look at a bunch of other players in a higher quality comp. Plus I heard a while ago that 3 of the top 6 rated U18s in the country were from SA, so they could get a good draft to top them up, and haven't lost anything so far.

North Melbourne-Tasmania will win the thing next year but from 2020 onwards Crows will be near unbeatable until Port get a team or if the comp goes fully professional. I'm gutted we blew our chance to ever win it

Unless Geelong announce some surprise big names late this afternoon, North Melbourne has clearly won the expansion signing period.

The thing I like about Geelong's signings is that the majority of them would have played together for two years. Helps with team chemistry. We've seen what happens with teams who have a bunch of new players come in - can take a while for them to gel, regardless of how big a name they are.

The thing I like about Geelong's signings is that the majority of them would have played together for two years. Helps with team chemistry. We've seen what happens with teams who have a bunch of new players come in - can take a while for them to gel, regardless of how big a name they are.
Ashmore, Stanton, Randall and Gibson played together for two years. Also know Kaitlin Ashmore and Mo Hope are good friends

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would be interesting if we could have the Champion Data rankings for the 20 players signed to the expansion clubs.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Destination club

Too many want to come

Destination club my arse. Id love to see how many North AFLW players have staff jobs now, given they cant possibly be paying them all under the same band payments other clubs were. Its the friggin 70s all over again at North.

Id love to see how many North AFLW players have staff jobs now, given they cant possibly be paying them all under the same band payments other clubs were.
Break it down player by player, it's pretty possible.

None of Gillespie-Jones, Randall, Hardiman, Stanton, Gibson, Bruton or Bannister would've been above tier 3 at their original clubs.

Kearney, Ashmore, Duffin and Garner wouldn't have been above tier 2.

That leaves Hope and King. They were marquee players in 2017, but now they'd be squeaking into tier 2 at Collingwood for 2019 at best. The Pies would be taking care of Molloy, Bernardi, Chiocci, Edwards, Lambert and Bonnici first, I think.

This is all speculation, but it's based on what I've ascertained through watching games and reading stuff about player payments on your website.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know the draft in AFLW is pretty pointless but how do you guys get the best compensation pick out of the non-expansion clubs and we get nothing despite our club getting more raided by Norf?

I think you got an extra rookie spot as, as you say, the draft is pretty pointless for you.

Collingwood lost two its two original marquees, its best key forward and its best ball user.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Plus I heard a while ago that 3 of the top 6 rated U18s in the country were from SA, so they could get a good draft to top them up, and haven't lost anything so far.
Given that SA's regd. female player nos. are dwarfed by Vic. & Qld., it would be very surprising if "3 of the top 6 rated U18's in the country were from SA".
Who are these 3 players, who made this declaration, & on what basis?

Given that Qld. female AF is booming, & has almost as many regd. female players as Vic., has any official/expert assessment been made as to why local Qld. female players do not feature more prominently in the Draft?
As Brisbane has entitlement to all of Qld./NSW Northern Rivers comp. players, can it be said that they are not developing their very large base sufficiently?

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
This is a great "follow-through" action and photo of Vescio. These are superb action shots.

In marketing the AFLW, I would like these high-kicking actions to be given more prominence. It is an exciting polnt-of-difference cf. male footballers (who don't have the flexibility of females). I have only seen some marketing around T.Harris, who has a similar high follow-through.

This is a great "follow-through" action and photo of Vescio. These are superb action shots.

In marketing the AFLW, I would like these high-kicking actions to be given more prominence. It is an exciting polnt-of-difference cf. male footballers (who don't have the flexibility of females). I have only seen some marketing around T.Harris, who has a similar high follow-through.
Vescio's Follow through reminds me of Big Drew Petrie, a textbook follow through

Collingwood needs big compensation if the league wants an even competition next year

Dogs got a single 3rd round compensation for the loss of 4 premiership players. Laughable compensation

Back