AFLW Offseason List Changes

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
First of the Crosscoders program has been signed by Adelaide...

Increasingly, we have to be careful about this term "cross-coder", some of these new overseas signings have actually been playing footy in their domestic leagues. I've read of others who actually were involved in IC17.

How fantastic will it be to see these overseas comps expand their female offerings and open up a pathway for more footy talent into the AFL women's comp. Now is the perfect time for it to happen, while we're still scrambling to fill playing lists as we expand.

BTW - that's terrible news about Molloy, I hope there are no more big names missing a whole season. Might be a good decision that we didn't have extra games next season!

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Increasingly, we have to be careful about this term "cross-coder", some of these new overseas signings have actually been playing footy in their domestic leagues. I've read of others who actually were involved in IC17.

How fantastic will it be to see these overseas comps expand their female offerings and open up a pathway for more footy talent into the AFL women's comp. Now is the perfect time for it to happen, while we're still scrambling to fill playing lists as we expand.

BTW - that's terrible news about Molloy, I hope there are no more big names missing a whole season. Might be a good decision that we didn't have extra games next season!

I use the term "Crosscoders" in this case, because she was one of 18 women flown out here by the Crosscoders company/program for their combine this week.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now that the signing deadline has passed for Rookies. Is there a consolidated list of the 20. It will be interesting to see backgrounds and ages.

Is it 4 Irish, 2 sisters (Sloan +Boyd), Netballer's with the variation of experience with the Retiring Layton to Adelaide's Rookie who is 19 and a current train on player for the Thunderbirds. Basketballers + Geelong's mum of three. There seems to be less from 'Come Try Days' but more targeted.

I am not sure I like the current rule where being on an AFLW list precluded from being eligible.
Example Bec Palmer from Adelaide's Rookie in Season 2. Not eligible but will she win a roster spot.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
In relation to the game where the combine girls defeated a VFLW side, any details on who they were playing and where the combine team was supplemented by any extras?

Either way, it's an eye opening result.

It was hard to indentify the VFLW team (which had a few VAFA players) as they were wearing just training gear and yellow bibs - plus at night under not great lights made it hard to identify a number of them.

They had an interchange bench of 4, while the combine had no bench! Played as 18-a-side (combine one down in the final quarter due to an injury).

An AFLW coach who spoke to the combine players afterwards, said the VFLW side they played had 4-5 players that were likely to be drafted.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
It was hard to indentify the VFLW team (which had a few VAFA players) as they were wearing just training gear and yellow bibs - plus at night under not great lights made it hard to identify a number of them.

They had an interchange bench of 4, while the combine had no bench! Played as 18-a-side (combine one down in the final quarter due to an injury).

An AFLW coach who spoke to the combine players afterwards, said the VFLW side they played had 4-5 players that were likely to be drafted.

So which ever way you slice and dice it, looks pretty impressive.

Back