FTA-TV Offsiders

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kim Brennan is always perceptive. She brought some insights about women in sporting administration and coaching that haven't previously been made on that program.

I don't think Gerard's theory about Michelle Payne being the watermark will be correct - it was a nice moment, but I think it was symbolic rather than demonstrative of a great sporting shift.

The really big shifts will be professionalism allowing women to concentrate on one sport and the coming talent drain on Olympic and international sports. Medium-sized nations can't be great at everything and - much like with the men - professionalised domestic comps will attract the best sporting talents.

Now I may have skipped the episode devoted to women's sport (like I did the last time they did that) as my interest in women's sport isn't high enough to warrant me sitting through a whole show devoted to it, but by Christ I'm still miles ahead of Roy.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
At least they mentioned it two weeks in a row. If Gerrard was on it would have been replaced by his weird horse fetish.

It's a ten second mention for a mainstream sport in its Grand Final series. I'm only a passing fan of basketball, but it's regularly forgotten in favour of some Offsiders hobby horses - e.g. The Matildas, W-League, Super Rugby. There's plenty of trends and issues in Australian basketball in need of concise analysis.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Concise analysis is a good one. They normally see a sport that is played by men and not rugby, cricket, AFL etc and stick the boot in when it's having some issues. The A-League is always good for this. Our friend who was just sacked from newscorp said that the NBL is now 'more visible'. What a wank thing to say.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Concise analysis is a good one. They normally see a sport that is played by men and not rugby, cricket, AFL etc and stick the boot in when it's having some issues. The A-League is always good for this. Our friend who was just sacked from newscorp said that the NBL is now 'more visible'. What a wank thing to say.

Not really.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Seriously anyone that thinks creepy little short people whipping big animals around a race track is a proper sport is a ****in idiot. The whole thing wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for gambling ffs.

Put the pencilneck out to pasture for good and bring back Underwood.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Seriously anyone that thinks creepy little short people whipping big animals around a race track is a proper sport is a ****in idiot. The whole thing wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for gambling ffs.

Yep. Something not right about scrubbed up scrubbers jumping up and down like nimrods because they bet their laundry money on animals to win.

Put the pencilneck out to pasture for good and bring back Underwood.

You mean like in Dubai where gambling is banned?

There is a reason its called the 'Sport' of Kings

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great discussion on governance issues in netball, the AOC and rugby union. Show is going well, Gerard is being an informative host, Waleed Aly and John Stanley are being articulate...and then Caro starts talking about Bob Murphy.

Caro: "He really is football's Renaissance man, isn't he?" and "If Melbourne had someone who we'd like to think symbolised how we're different to Sydney, then I like to think it'd be Bob Murphy."

Good player. Seems a reasonable fella. Well liked by teammates and Bulldogs fans. But would you like more mayo on that comment, Caro?

Fitzcray

Team Captain
Dec 10, 2007
QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has Gerard Wheatley's breath improved over the years?

I remember Crawf on The Footy Show back in the day had a dig at his constant bad breath.

Roy Masters ability to conflate every single issue into a Melbourne, Sydney rivalry where Melbourne is the villain never ceases to amaze.

He and Caro with their provincial parochialism add absolutely nothing to an already paper thin program.

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
Roy Masters ability to conflate every single issue into a Melbourne, Sydney rivalry where Melbourne is the villain never ceases to amaze.

He and Caro with their provincial parochialism add absolutely nothing to an already paper thin program.

I was thinking about that today. Is it genuine hate or is it staged like Tony Greig Bill Lawry style to get viewers in?

Back