FTA-TV Offsiders

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think anything is staged about Roy and Caro, they clearly enjoy a rivalry about their respective codes/cities, but there's nothing about it that's ever indicated 'genuine hate'.

I think Roy genuinely loves John Coates though

I don't mind NRL, but Roy is just an embarrassment for his sport.

Talks about the sport like it's God's gift to mankind rather than a game for meatheads.
Then again, Caro is just as bad with how she can turn a conversation, about tiddlywinks or anything else, back to AFL.

Last edited:
Roy is hilarious.

Anyone know the name of the actor who plays? Surely he's a caricature of sports commentary like Roy and HG or Graeme and the Colonel.

How naive of the 'Offsiders' panel to think that Usain Bolt and Mo Farah are the 'good guys' (their words) and Justin Gatlin purely a villain. I suspect we'll look back in about ten years' time and see these runs in a different light.

I don't know, there aren't the whispers surrounding those athletes like there were for years about Armstrong. But we'll see, and in the meantime we'll suspect, and that is the legacy of Armstrong et al

There are heaps of whispers surrounding both. The difference is that the suspicions generally surround omissions in testing, rather than tales of drug taking.

Good decision by the panel to focus on the World Championships in Athletics and the Matildas, rather than leading with the AFL and NRL.

How naive of the 'Offsiders' panel to think that Usain Bolt and Mo Farah are the 'good guys' (their words) and Justin Gatlin purely a villain. I suspect we'll look back in about ten years' time and see these runs in a different light.

They're not naive. They're just showing their blissful ignorance. I like Bolt but this idea that he needed to win "to save the sport" (just like Rio 2016 and Beijing 2015) besides being his swansong was again just self-serving bin juice. The sour grapes in the aftermath ("global disappointment", "not the fairytale ending", "uncomfortable moment", "public relations disaster", "such a bad look") was a delight to hear and it was well-deserved. It's never about them (the media) but without fail they sure go a long way to make it sound like it is. For shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not starting a 2018 Offsiders thread.

Idk if any of you watched today's show. But it belonged in a sewage drain afaic. How much did they have to crap on about aflw?

I enjoy top class, elite women's sport as much as anyone (WNBA perfect example), but right now, AFLW is rubbish.

Play it on smaller grounds, shorter quarters or whatever, but at this point, it doesn't deserve 15 minutes on a national sports show.

Offsiders drinking the AFL Kool Aid. Loved the bit where the Adelaide coach said it's going to be the biggest women's sport in the world or something. Bless.

At least they didn't mention AFLX.

To be honest much prefer the emphasis on the AFLW than the disproportionate coverage of soccer & horse racing that often fills up the 30min.

Half the show is a bit much but I do find the haters of AFLW funny. Sure they are crap atm as basically glorified amateurs but only an idiot couldn't see the big potential in the league. Sure a lot were just combining it with looking at the brand new stadium but 40k+ for a women's game is pretty special.

Jesus Christ!

Maybe a nationwide sports show should talk about the SANFL & WAFL as well? :rolleyes:

What an odd thing to say. As far as I am aware the AFLW is played in every state and territory (don't know but assume they've got a game down in Tas this year?).

I'm not starting a 2018 Offsiders thread.

Easy fixed.

Idk if any of you watched today's show. But it belonged in a sewage drain afaic. How much did they have to crap on about aflw?

Certainly a bit too much coverage, but not surprising given the show is generally focused on AFL.

Great game of BB on friday night got completely missed and I would've thought Melbourne United's shot at a MP would've been of some interest.

It's a real hit-or-miss show now. The episodes where they talk about the AFL and NRL for 20 minutes and the off field/behind the scenes stuff Fox Bogan won't cover are really good. When they stray from that and it's Where Is Women's Sport At? and The Ange Postecoglou Show it's crap.

Last edited:
To be honest much prefer the emphasis on the AFLW than the disproportionate coverage of soccer & horse racing that often fills up the 30min.

Yeah it's wall to wall soccer all the time. In fact sometimes they don't even realise they're going in to a foreign language.

Easy fixed.

Certainly a bit too much coverage, but not surprising given the show is generally focused on AFL.

Great game of BB on friday night got completely missed and I would've thought Melbourne United's shot at a MP would've been of some interest.

They never mention the NBL. The only time they have done was the grand final series last year and that was only because someone mentioned it in their points or tips or whatever they do at the end.

Half the show is a bit much but I do find the haters of AFLW funny. Sure they are crap atm as basically glorified amateurs but only an idiot couldn't see the big potential in the league. Sure a lot were just combining it with looking at the brand new stadium but 40k+ for a women's game is pretty special.
This.

Considering the AFLW just got the largest domestic crowd for women's sport ever in Australian sport (and IMO it was a very good game to watch) AND they had last year's premiership coach on as a special guest and so were able to talk in some depth through current issues about the sport considering all the publicity (negative and positive) it got last week, the time spent was absolutely well justified and the discussion most interesting.

The show generally allocates the about the right amount of time to sports in proportion to their overall popularity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back