(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr_Bojangles

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
It's the Melbourne Cup show this Sunday, which frees up half an hour for me to do something else. A nice annual tradition
John Harms (who I love most other times) trying to give off the cheeky punter vibe in a vain attempt to normalise an industry run by and for s**t campaigners.

Dogs Rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
John Harms (who I love most other times) trying to give off the cheeky punter vibe in a vain attempt to normalise an industry run by and for s**t campaigners.
Sure he would have squeezed in a Geelong reference somewhere.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Subzero
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not all other sports exist purely for the purpose of gambling, which as a general rule attracts the campaigners like nobodies business
Phew,
Good thing football doesn't have gambling; and constant adds associated with it.
And how fortunate clubs don't rely on pokies for revenue.

Phew.

Errrr wait a minute......

Then when do we start on alcohol...

But that's ok, we're all part of the same hypocrisy

:D

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Phew,
Good thing football doesn't have gambling; and constant adds associated with it.
And how fortunate clubs don't rely on pokies for revenue.

Phew.

Errrr wait a minute......

Then when do we start on alcohol...

But that's ok, we're all part of the same hypocrisy

:D
Football would easily survive without any gambling attached to it, horse racing on the other hand would be dead in the water within weeks.

Minka Beaver

All Australian
Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
A really rough start to the new year of Offsiders this morning.

I quite like Richard Hinds' writing, but I can do without him talking over other people and shouting to make sure he's the first person who's heard.
I thought it was a good, wide-ranging episode.

Waleed Aly not listening and splitting hairs on horse racing probably didn't help Hinds, in fairness. But it was a good panel - all very well-informed.

I got the distinct impression Kelli Underwood and Lisa Alexander were champing at the bit to say more about the Alen Stajcic sacking, but couldn't for legal reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
What's with Catherine Murphy getting a run most weeks? Her knowledge base of Australian sport is still at novice stage.
I don't understand how she got a gig as a sports expert here when she's from Ireland and seems to know very little about our sports apart from rugby union.

I couldn't imagine an Australian going over to Ireland and getting a gig as a sports expert there when they know very little about hurling or gaelic football.

Minka Beaver

All Australian
Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
I don't understand how she got a gig as a sports expert here when she's from Ireland and seems to know very little about our sports apart from rugby union.

I couldn't imagine an Australian going over to Ireland and getting a gig as a sports expert there when they know very little about hurling or gaelic football.
Her comments on Australian sport are all about tidbits or trivia, rather than analysis. There's a role for someone to come in as the left-field thinker, or as an outsider who can explain how our sports compare with international competitions and trends - but she doesn't do that very often.

Mr_Bojangles

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Her comments on Australian sport are all about tidbits or trivia, rather than analysis. There's a role for someone to come in as the left-field thinker, or as an outsider who can explain how our sports compare with international competitions and trends - but she doesn't do that very often.
Maybe it's good to have someone outside the circle jerk that is Australian sporting press? The other two guests covered for her on knowledge.

Minka Beaver

All Australian
Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Maybe it's good to have someone outside the circle jerk that is Australian sporting press? The other two guests covered for her on knowledge.
The problem is that the other two guests yesterday covered her for insight too - Peter Lalor in particular, who wasn’t shy in calling out Eddie McGuire’s reputation outside Victoria.

They’re lucky that Kelli Underwood can editorialise in place of a weaker panellist, without getting too sanctimonious a la Gerard Whateley.

Dogs Rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
What's with Catherine Murphy getting a run most weeks? Her knowledge base of Australian sport is still at novice stage.
I was prepared to listen, but I can't understand a word.

Acts like an authority on everything, so just like Waleed I guess.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Offsiders is out of touch. Folau comfortably the biggest story of the week. They talked about horse racing and US golf before it.
Yep. Winx is a 3rd story at best, and the golf barely deserves to be a story at the end of the show. I mean how many people actually watch professional golf in Australia.

Top Bottom