FTA-TV Offsiders

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the Melbourne Cup show this Sunday, which frees up half an hour for me to do something else. A nice annual tradition

John Harms (who I love most other times) trying to give off the cheeky punter vibe in a vain attempt to normalise an industry run by and for s**t campaigners.

John Harms (who I love most other times) trying to give off the cheeky punter vibe in a vain attempt to normalise an industry run by and for s**t campaigners.
Not like all other sports?

Not all other sports exist purely for the purpose of gambling, which as a general rule attracts the campaigners like nobodies business
Phew,
Good thing football doesn't have gambling; and constant adds associated with it.
And how fortunate clubs don't rely on pokies for revenue.

Phew.

Errrr wait a minute......

Then when do we start on alcohol...

But that's ok, we're all part of the same hypocrisy

:D

Phew,
Good thing football doesn't have gambling; and constant adds associated with it.
And how fortunate clubs don't rely on pokies for revenue.

Phew.

Errrr wait a minute......

Then when do we start on alcohol...

But that's ok, we're all part of the same hypocrisy

:D
Football would easily survive without any gambling attached to it, horse racing on the other hand would be dead in the water within weeks.

A really rough start to the new year of Offsiders this morning.

I quite like Richard Hinds' writing, but I can do without him talking over other people and shouting to make sure he's the first person who's heard.

A really rough start to the new year of Offsiders this morning.

I quite like Richard Hinds' writing, but I can do without him talking over other people and shouting to make sure he's the first person who's heard.

I thought it was a good, wide-ranging episode.

Waleed Aly not listening and splitting hairs on horse racing probably didn't help Hinds, in fairness. But it was a good panel - all very well-informed.

I got the distinct impression Kelli Underwood and Lisa Alexander were champing at the bit to say more about the Alen Stajcic sacking, but couldn't for legal reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with Catherine Murphy getting a run most weeks? Her knowledge base of Australian sport is still at novice stage.

I don't understand how she got a gig as a sports expert here when she's from Ireland and seems to know very little about our sports apart from rugby union.

I couldn't imagine an Australian going over to Ireland and getting a gig as a sports expert there when they know very little about hurling or gaelic football.

I don't understand how she got a gig as a sports expert here when she's from Ireland and seems to know very little about our sports apart from rugby union.

I couldn't imagine an Australian going over to Ireland and getting a gig as a sports expert there when they know very little about hurling or gaelic football.

Her comments on Australian sport are all about tidbits or trivia, rather than analysis. There's a role for someone to come in as the left-field thinker, or as an outsider who can explain how our sports compare with international competitions and trends - but she doesn't do that very often.

Her comments on Australian sport are all about tidbits or trivia, rather than analysis. There's a role for someone to come in as the left-field thinker, or as an outsider who can explain how our sports compare with international competitions and trends - but she doesn't do that very often.

Maybe it's good to have someone outside the circle jerk that is Australian sporting press? The other two guests covered for her on knowledge.

Maybe it's good to have someone outside the circle jerk that is Australian sporting press? The other two guests covered for her on knowledge.

The problem is that the other two guests yesterday covered her for insight too - Peter Lalor in particular, who wasn’t shy in calling out Eddie McGuire’s reputation outside Victoria.

They’re lucky that Kelli Underwood can editorialise in place of a weaker panellist, without getting too sanctimonious a la Gerard Whateley.

Why are they talking about horse racing?

Edit: Three boomers and a 42-year-old on the panel could be the answer.

I have never understood Offsiders obsession with horse racing.

Offsiders is out of touch. Folau comfortably the biggest story of the week. They talked about horse racing and US golf before it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back