FTA-TV Offsiders

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine a sports team picking their games, winning them, and calling it a "streak". Horse racing is a farce.

First I've seen an Easter episode even though the AFL and NRL always play on Easter. Dragged kicking and screaming or the person blocking it moved on.

First I've seen an Easter episode even though the AFL and NRL always play on Easter. Dragged kicking and screaming or the person blocking it moved on.
election campaign meant Insiders stayed on for the first time ever and I guess Offsiders just tagged along

You are the first person I have ever come across that is interested in horseracing as a sport for its own sake, and not the punting side of it.
You have to get out more.

As a regular spectator to the races (as in constantly go) there are all sorts of people who go and are interested outside of the punt.

Ofcourse for some it’s anout the punt, but equally many go and their idea of the punt is $1 each way or $2 quaddie.
They just love horses and the sport.

As another example the late great wordsmith, Les Carlyon went and loved the races but didn’t bet.

Overall the participants (and over the years I’ve known many of them) just love horses and treat them like family.
The conditions of most stables are wonderful, clean, well organised.
Most stable hands I find just love horses.

Imagine a sports team picking their games, winning them, and calling it a "streak". Horse racing is a farce.
Horse racing isn’t a sport for you, fair enough that’s you.

For most of the world, football isn’t much of a sport either, that’s fair enough for them. If they know it even exists.
But people like it, like me and I presume you, so that’s fair enough.

Each to their own.
I don’t belittle other sports just because they’re not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Horse racing isn’t a sport fir you, fair enough that’s you.

For most of the world, football isn’t much of a sport either, that’s fair enough for them. If they know it even exists.
But people like it, like me and I presume you, so that’s fair enough.

Each to their own.
I don’t belittle other sports just because they’re not my cup of tea.
I've never seen a footballer shot on the field for doing their knee, or being trained via the use of torture. I've also never seen a footballer bred purely for the purpose of playing football and given no choice in the matter. And football would survive without gambling.

That must be a problem with being a racing 'fan', having to just ignore the ugly reality of the industry.

Also, just ponder the differences between the terms 'colourful football identity' and 'colourful racing identity'.

That must be a problem with being a racing 'fan', having to just ignore the ugly reality of the industry.

Also, just ponder the differences between the terms 'colourful football identity' and 'colourful racing identity'.
Boo hoo hoo.

Animals are lower in the pecking order.

Humans eat them, wear them, drive in cars sitting on them....

We drink milk, you do know you have to get mother moo cow lactating and then dispense with the calf....

Humans own pets. Sometimes pets are put down because humans decide it’s time.

You really think that’s not an ugly side to all that. Getting milk is a beautiful majestic sweet process?

So spare me your sanctimonious sermon. Enjoy walking in your leather shoes and that nice steak or fish meal you’re going to eat.

Bon appetite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boo hoo hoo.

We drink milk, you do know you have to get mother moo cow lactating and then dispense with the calf....

You really think that’s not an ugly side to all that. Getting milk is a beautiful majestic sweet process?

So spare me your sanctimonious sermon. Enjoy walking in your leather shoes and that nice steak or fish meal you’re going to eat.

Bon appetite
I'm not into horse racing. But I'm enjoying your defence of it.

I'm not into horse racing. But I'm enjoying your defence of it.
I’m more about people can enjoy what they like, which sports they like (assuming it’s legal).

And if people don’t like it thats ok too. Yet some like to tell others what they should or shouldn’t like.
That’s really the domain of the lady love, that’s for her alone:).

Boo hoo hoo.

Bon appetite

So you don't "love horses and treat them like family" (your words).

Boo hoo hoo.

Bon appetite
Using animals for food is at the moment a pretty necessary thing for survival, killing animals in the name of entertainment isn't. And it's interesting that you use your view that animals are lower in the pecking order as a reason why we should be allowed to torture them for fun. A real insight there.

Reading your sanctimonious drivel is torchure.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

But you obviously need to virtue signal, so knock yourself out.

A real insight right there.

Cheers

If you want real insight then you really should ponder why you've resorted to meaningless drivel like 'virtue signal'. It puts you in very bad company.

There are some 'poor sports' in this thread, and to be frank, they should move onto more appropriate threads where they can lecture others about their 'societal' concerns - The thread is about issues discussed on Offsiders and their relevance to the wider sporting public.

You stick to your bombers and their practices.
Should be enough there to keep you busy for years.

For what it’s worth, I love horses. The industry treats them well overall. Like spoilt pets that are kept fit.
If you’ve been to a stable, the care and love is palpable.
But at the end the animals are bred for human pleasure, and human use.
Is that right or wrong? I have no issue with it, because humans are highest on the pecking order.
In the natural order of things that’s just how it is.

But this idea that animals are equal to humans is just not true or even a fantasy.
Animals have been seconded by humans since the earliest of times.

I don't doubt that the strapper who looks after and essentially lives with the horse genuinely loves the animal.

I question the "love" that trainers implementing doping programs have. And racing administration can't begin to be taken seriously while horses aren't tested out of competition.

The fact that horses are bred to be abused by people, constantly whipped and running at speeds that are unreasonable given the size of their legs, doesn't make it ok.

I used to love racing. Watched it, went a lot, punted a lot... until I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time around some stables. The way they were treated as entities existing only for monetary purposes by most of the people involved broke my heart.

There's no point in me advocating for the end of horse racing, cos it's not going to happen. Similarly though, I don't think you need to be advocating in favour of it as though it's perfectly harmless and horses are better off for it, cos it's just not the case.

Offsiders is representative of the problems with the ABC imo; in theory it should be the perfect place for a lively and interesting debate on the sporting events of the week.

Instead, it's staid, complacent and non-essential; if anything it plays a role in restricting viable views on sporting topics than expand them.

The problem is they mostly have the same type of panelists on.

Richard Hinds - yawn.

John Harms - ....'reminds of that amazing day watching the great G Ablett at Kardinia Park...'

Waleed (see Caroline Wilson) - blah, blah, self righteous pontificating, blah, blah

Roy Masters - 'Melbourne is s***. The NRL is watched by more people than AFL etc etc'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back