Oh and by the way...

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that the Cats are favorites, not the Hawks, I don't think the Hawks could be accused of choking should they lose.

Geelong however, now that's a different story. Should you lose this one, I'm tipping that picture will get a run everywhere.

And it's not like you haven't got a history of it either. Sure, you won last year's Grand Final after your own asphixiating history of misses ... but who did you beat ?

Seriously, you beat the only side in the AFL with as much right to the perenial chokers tag as your good selves (ignoring Collingwood for a moment, of course).

Have no doubt about it Catters, you're as prone to the odd choke as anyone in football.

Why you do make some good points.... you dont see any of our players doing thos types of silly cocky things.....

we all know our past history.....and most of us havent forgoten what happened in the past....but that has nothing to do with this years playing lists..

haywood jablome

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2007
Jasusadghrh
AFL Club
Geelong
Given that the Cats are favorites, not the Hawks, I don't think the Hawks could be accused of choking should they lose.

Geelong however, now that's a different story. Should you lose this one, I'm tipping that picture will get a run everywhere.

And it's not like you haven't got a history of it either. Sure, you won last year's Grand Final after your own asphixiating history of misses ... but who did you beat ?

Seriously, you beat the only side in the AFL with as much right to the perenial chokers tag as your good selves (ignoring Collingwood for a moment, of course).

Have no doubt about it Catters, you're as prone to the odd choke as anyone in football.
You guys have Franklin, if you can't win with the superstar himself then clearly it will be a massive choke.

JohnD

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2001
at home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
In Hodge We Trust
Why you do make some good points.... you dont see any of our players doing thos types of silly cocky things.....

Yeah nah.

Do you reckon Scarlett endeared himself to the greater footballing public when he slagged Robert Harvey post-match when everyone else was shaking his hand and wishing him well ?

You don't reckon that was perceived as "silly" and "cocky" ?

we all know our past history.....and most of us havent forgoten what happened in the past....but that has nothing to do with this years playing lists..

Of course you're all well-aware of it. It lies just below the surface for you all. You might say it has nothing to do with this year's playing list but I'm not so sure that "culture" is that quick to change.

Take last year's Grand Final win as an example. Nobody suggests you weren't deserved premiers. You were. You've been the best team in footy for two years now ... well, almost two years perhaps 'cos you can't really count Round 5 2007 (?).

Anyway, back to last year's Grand Final. Yep, deserved winners. Yep, beat the only team who are bigger chokers than you. Beat 'em well mind you, but it's no coincidence that the photo you posted of Willow was in a game against Port.

What happened the week before that ? Remember that ? You nearly did it again. You nearly missed the big show altogether. Oh Collingwood was brave. Collingwood was ferocious. Collingwood played above itself. Oh Collingwood missed the flag by a kick (or so we are constantly told). Bullsh1t, Geelong choked and fell over the line.

Don't tell me your culture of choking has nothing to do with this playing group. They've already done it, and as recently as last year's prelim.

Maybe, just maybe, the flag was enough to atone for their sins. Maybe, the flag is enough to wipe away the choking tag, releasing this group from that culture that has lived in your lockers and quiet moments of self-doubt. Maybe the only place the chokers tag now lives is in supporters' memories.

Or maybe not.

Yeah nah.

Do you reckon Scarlett endeared himself to the greater footballing public when he slagged Robert Harvey post-match when everyone else was shaking his hand and wishing him well ?

Of course you're all well-aware of it. It lies just below the surface for you all. You might say it has nothing to do with this year's playing list but I'm not so sure that "culture" is that quick to change.

Take last year's Grand Final win as an example. Nobody suggests you weren't deserved premiers. You were. You've been the best team in footy for two years now ... well, almost two years perhaps 'cos you can't really count Round 5 2007 (?).

Anyway, back to last year's Grand Final. Yep, deserved winners. Yep, beat the only team who are bigger chokers than you. Beat 'em well mind you, but it's no coincidence that the photo you posted of Willow was in a game against Port.

What happened the week before that ? Remember that ? You nearly did it again. You nearly missed the big show altogether. Oh Collingwood was brave. Collingwood was ferocious. Collingwood played above itself. Oh Collingwood missed the flag by a kick (or so we are constantly told). Bullsh1t, Geelong choked and fell over the line.

Don't tell me your culture of choking has nothing to do with this playing group. They've already done it, and as recently as last year's prelim.

Maybe, just maybe, the flag was enough to atone for their sins. Maybe, the flag is enough to wipe away the choking tag, releasing this group from that culture that has lived in your lockers and quiet moments of self-doubt. Maybe the only place the chokers tag now lives is in supporters' memories.

Or maybe not.

i seriously rekon that collingwood were the 2nd best team last year....Port were good on there day....they are(um...were) one of the only teams to beat us in our past 46 odd games....collingwood are kinda like the hawks to us.....it always seem to match up well.....that why i know todays game is better.....i just cant see the hawks boys not go the biff...and in the end will give away to many free kicks...and at the end of the day...will have lernt nothing from 89...... unsociable footy at its worst today s my tip

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
Yeah nah.

Or maybe not.

This is close to the biggest crock of s**t I have seen posted all week.

If you can't see what Geelong has achieved over the last 2 seasons for what it is (ie. an astonishing achievement which has exorcised the club's past demons) then I don't know what to say to you.

Personally, I think that you KNOW that Geelong is the better team going into this game and are hanging onto an outdated notion that the Cats choke in big games, as this is the only thought that gives you any confidence going into this game.

BTW - Port's coach was spouting similar s**t this time last year. It worked out pretty poorly for him if I recall correctly.

An obvious poor attempt at a troll. Piss off.

If you can't see what Geelong has achieved over the last 2 seasons for what it is (ie. an astonishing achievement which has exorcised the club's past demons) then I don't know what to say to you.

Personally, I think that you KNOW that Geelong is the better team going into this game and are hanging onto an outdated notion that the Cats choke in big games, as this is the only thought that gives you any confidence going into this game.

BTW - Port's coach was spouting similar s**t this time last year. It worked out pretty poorly for him if I recall correctly.

Now thats not playing nice...JohnD has his own opinion.....and hes more then welcome to post it here......Dont forget how emotional it was for us last year.....

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Now thats not playing nice...JohnD has his own opinion.....and hes more then welcome to post it here......Dont forget how emotional it was for us last year.....

This is clearly a troll, which is expressly forbidden in the rules of the forum.

So yes, he is entitled to his opinion, but trolling is a totally different thing.

This is clearly a troll, which is expressly forbidden in the rules of the forum.

So yes, he is entitled to his opinion, but trolling is a totally different thing.

Yeh well...ive got bigger things on today..... and so do you ;)

Lets keep its classy.... enjoy it boys...im off :thumbsu:

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I am disappointed at the personal nature of your response.

As I have included nothing personal in my post, it is baffling that you would respond in such a venomous fashion. If you can't have a considered football discussion without getting narky, perhaps web-based forums aren't for you.

Sorry that I've clearly opened old wounds for you.

There was nothing personal in my post. I identified you as a troll, which is forbidden on this forum.

If I went onto the Hawthorn forum and stated that the Hawks tanked their way to a good list and were a bunch of try-hard tough guys, how do you think I would be received?

And no, old wounds were not opened. More like I called you out on your lame attempt to discredit my club's success.

Cohzee

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong

Yet we weren't favourite to win in '89 or the 90's. So how did we choke?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sancho

Draftee
Jul 4, 2006
The Windmill

Choco Williams was wrong but JohnD looks to have got it right.

Apologies anyone?

JohnD said:
Of course you're all well-aware of it [Geelong's choking history]. It lies just below the surface for you all. You might say it has nothing to do with this year's playing list but I'm not so sure that "culture" is that quick to change.

Or maybe not.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Choco Williams was wrong but JohnD looks to have got it right.

Apologies anyone?

Apologise for what? Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Hawthorn out-thought and out-played us. That is all. Anyone who says that Geelong choked is not giving Hawthorn enough credit. We missed some goals that we should have kicked, that is football.

hamburGER_au

Draftee
May 3, 2008
Mill Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
John D said

"Of course you're all well-aware of it [Geelong's choking history]. It lies just below the surface for you all. You might say it has nothing to do with this year's playing list but I'm not so sure that "culture" is that quick to change.

Or maybe not."

In the light of yesterdays effort is it worth a look at what he said ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back