Universal Love Oh captain, my captain: Cotchin retires. There will never be another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin great champion of the Richmond football club a triple premiership captain something I have heard repeated a lot today, but one thing we must not let the AFL and media rob him of is the prefix he rightfully earned.

Trent Cotch: Brownlow medalist and triple premiership captain of the Richmond football club.

One more late season campaign to go Cotch drag us into another finals as you have so often dragged your beloved tigers over the line.

eatem alive Captain Cotch.

When it comes to what makes a leader, what makes a captain, he has it all.

A hunger for the contest
A willingness to put his body on the line for his teammates
A selflessness that is contagious
And a general warmth and love for those around him.

There was nothing better than when Cotchin did something massive in a big game, the whole energy of the place just changed.

Cotchins goal and celebration in both the 2017 qualifying final and the one in the 2019 grand final will be etched in Richmond folklore forever.

He comfortably resides with dyer, Bartlett, roach, Richardson and others as absolute greats of our club.

But one thing he currently has over all past players…..

A 3 time premiership captain!

Enjoy the next stage of life, Thankyou isn’t enough

seen dozens of skppers @RFC,almost all of em legends,almost, but Trent one of if not no the greatest,stands alongside Royce n the revererd Captain Blood,thnks for the memories.i'll never forget your calm demeanour @ the 2017 GF parade amongst all the hysteria,went home knowing we was gonna win
u were as big as the beatles that day
And remember at the 2017 GF parade when he refused to let go of the Cup until Tex had let go first. I knew then we were gonna win it!!

Remember watching the u-18s preliminary final in 2007
Knights vs cannons
Knights had - kreuzer,,Cotchin,,vespremi,,grimes( demons one)
Cannons had- mckernan,,putt,, trengove
Knights were about 9 points up 5 minutes into 3rd quarter
Cotchin was in everything starring in the middle
A few seconds later he goes off with broken ankle, the Knights only score 1 more goal ,they get run over by a fast finishing calder cannons with young trengove completely destroying kreuzer,,, I walked away from princess Park, knowing in my ❤️ please please please Carlton take kreuzer with pick 1,, and let us have trent at pick 2,,, and the gods smiled on us that Saturday morning in November
Pick 1 - Carlton- Matthew kreuzer
Pick 2- Trent Cotchin
And the guru with his nephew and niece
Celebrated like it was as 1999
Thanks Captain
bruce gibbs, mark murphy and kruezer

ouch

This retirement stuff is becoming all to real now. The era is closing up before our eyes. What he achieved and helped this club rise to will never be forgotten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know what Cotchin will do once he settles after footy?

He seems to have a ultra astute, considered calm head on his shoulder from his press conference in regard to the way he spoke.

No many are as cool as that when he speaks without being funky but actually just exerts composure.

He just looks like someone that could be regarded as a rock in his approach and method and people could rely on perhaps more than other things when they wavier

If I met him and asked him something he strikes me as someone that would not BS me

Does anyone know what Cotchin will do once he settles after footy?

He seems to have a ultra astute, considered calm head on his shoulder from his press conference in regard to the way he spoke.

No many are as cool as that when he speaks without being funky but actually just exerts composure
I reckon he'll do leadership training stuff. Working with corporates and sporting teams like Emma Murray.

I reckon he'll do leadership training stuff. Working with corporates and sporting teams like Emma Murray.

Yeah , sporting teams would be smart because they are more performance orientated whereas things can get a little hazy in the corporate world where a bit of BS occurs unfortunately depending on which industry it is.

Not many can seem to speak in a way that Cotch seems to do which projects trust like he spoke off the cuff today. It is interesting because I run into the odd amateur club here and there and I think one of the clubs I am exposed to may have gone slightly off the rails a little bit possibly in terms of togetherness because one of the leaders was a little wayward. On reflection some of the instances and decisions of others are starting to tell a story which, when one looks through a slightly different lens, things seem to become clearer

Last edited:
The main board is just a cesspit these days. The mere mention of anything Richmond brings out all the nasties.

Someone has started a thread about who is the best triple premiership captain out of Hodge, Voss and Cotchin. Nobody having anything nice to say about Cotch. Bloody disgrace.
When you look at them as individual players, Hodge and Voss probably have more individual accolades and at the surface appear flashier.

As for who is the best captain and gets the most out of their team? Surely Cotch.

Easily the greatest Tiger Captain of my life time & easily one of the top 10 Captains of my lifetime, period. A fantastic person, player, captain, family man - no one will represent this club better & more upstanding than Trent, ever.

I've been working flat chat all day and haven't seen any of the presser etc. Went onto the AFL page expecting Cotchin retiring to be fairly easily found - it was already heavily buried & not even on the AFL's website "front page" - you needed to scroll down the sub-menu to eventually find the article ...

Tigers' triple-flag skipper to call it quits at season's end​

"calls it quits"..... not retire. I found the wording odd & very disrespectful. I've harboured the belief that the AFL never forgave him for the stuff in the hub regarding his wife & the AFL has quite deliberately thrown shade on him since, & his legacy. I saw a similar lack of sentiment on the AFL website when he played his 300th, but thought i might be being a bit sensitive as i treasure Trent alot.

So, as always, i did my research.

Below is the title the AFL used for each of the below retirements

Issac Smith - Four-time premiership hero to hang up the boots

Shannon Hurn - Eagles great calls time on decorated career

Ben Cunnington - 'I lost my hunger': Inspirational Roo hangs up the boots
Luke Shuey - 'My body won't allow it': Eagles skipper
forced into retirement
Aaron Hall - 'I've had a blast': Rebounding Roo calls it quits after 161 games

Lance Franklin - BYE BYE, BUDDY: Lance Franklin ends his glorious career

I am not a fan of saying a player "quit" when they have chosen to RETIRE after a decade+ of fighting wars. One thing Trent Cotchin never was, is a quitter. I was a big believer that Trent should have retired at the end of last season, but i admired his fight to stay on. For his career to end & the AFL advertise it as him "calling it quits" with no real celebration of his career in the title - dunno why, but the way the AFL have handled Trent since 2020 has been really gross for me. This guy Captained Richmond to its first GF in nearly 40 years. Outside of his wife getting a facial massage, (which was the most over-hyped bullshit in history) he NEVER took a step wrong as a captain, player or person for the AFL. He is the absolute total role model i would chose my own son to look up to. Guy deserves to be celebrated 2nd to none - he appears to be getting about 1/4 of the fanfare from the AFL as Selwood & Franklin.

I hope he plays his final game in Melbourne and bypasses the final game in Port. Him retiring in ******* Adelaide is a bullshit end to his career. Richmond people in Vic -please turn up and celebrate this guy like no other. he deserves every drop of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back