Roast Oh Ed, you've done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Blaming his Racist Remark on PainKillers.

Why did he even have to Bring That Up? Why draw more Negative News to you and Collingwood

Though the Idiots in the Media used it as another snipe shot at Collingwood and Eddie for his Poor Joke about Caro The Witch.

IF Eddie decides to go I don't think that be the Worst Thing to Happen

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/3...s-painkillers-for-adam-goodes-comments/#page1

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, I'm not sure why he would bring it up. Maybe it's part of the mea culpa process. IMO he simply works too hard and should scale back some of his commitments, particularly live and unscripted t.v and radio. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in the next 12 months. He's getting older and his reputation won't survive too many more gaffes. That being said, the heat on him is a sign of the puritanical P.C times we live in and he has his share of enemies out there waiting for him to slip up.

Otherwise it's entirely up to him when he stands down from Collingwood. And even if he stood down I sense he'd be pulling the strings still from behind the scene. His commitment to Collingwood will be lifelong.

That's why I love Eddie.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The master of PR strikes again............watch this space.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eddie is starting to hurt our brand I'm afraid

Don't be so gullible Kappa you are smarter than that mate.........read between the lines.

This is one line supposedly taken from an article in GQ Magazine.
The link above takes you to a very old video and is no longer relevant.
I am closing this thread as we do not need to revisit the story as shown.

Fyi Vicky Park NT.Thunder Gone Critical

TTRRAAVVIISS

All Australian
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?

I find it hypocritical of you to go all outrage on Ed about his comments and then throw out distasteful vitriol like anorexic Ed and Toorak Toff. Maybe you should STFU with the class/mental illness insults (I wouldn't call them jokes).

I find it hypocritical of you to go all outrage on Ed about his comments and then throw out distasteful vitriol like anorexic Ed and Toorak Toff. Maybe you should STFU with the class/mental illness insults (I wouldn't call them jokes).
I'm surprised you made it that far into the rant. I didn't and having earlier read McGuire's comments the news article seems a bit of a click bait beat up hardly worth such outrage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'm a bit torn. When does it become too PC? And when does it cross a line? That seems to vary from individual to individual. I can't say i've enjoyed reading these comments from Ed over the years. I kind of expect our president to be more stately than that. Which is a hard thing to juggle if you're also in entertainment where you straddle that line a bit more.

I'm a bit torn. When does it become too PC? And when does it cross a line? That seems to vary from individual to individual. I can't say i've enjoyed reading these comments from Ed over the years. I kind of expect our president to be more stately than that. Which is a hard thing to juggle if you're also in entertainment where you straddle that line a bit more.
Therein lays the problem especially with McGuire's radio show where he has to be a bit sensationalist in his role as a media personality. His profile was certainly an asset earlier in his tenure helping rebuild the club, however while still somewhat intertwined we really need to seperate his comments into media and football. Goodes a mix of media and football; this latest beat up purely media.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
It’s well established that Ed lost his magic some time ago and the gaffes just keep coming, but does it really matter? No one stands up to him to offer members a viable alternative and as a result we’re stuck with him until at least the end of 2019. Until someone takes him down at an election ranting about him is a complete waste of time.

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
...No one stands up to him to offer members a viable alternative and as a result we’re stuck with him until at least the end of 2019. Until someone takes him down at an election ranting about him is a complete waste of time.

This excerpt from Caro's article in today's Age rings true:

First Collingwood made an unofficial play for his services after Gary Pert was ousted with Eddie McGuire meeting Lethlean. But McGuire was held to account by his board and interim CEO Peter Murphy, who insisted the club for once would be following a rigorous recruitment process and that Lethlean would have to stand in line.

This suggests that governance will be stronger on an ongoing basis re: Ed.

This is the thing with Eddie. The PC stuff can be debated endlessly, and neither side is ever satisfied. Some of what Ed has said historically has been offensive to people; others maintain its a joke.

But for me its the accumulation of his gaffes over many years which is the problem, made worse - or magnified - by him being a high profile media figure with an apparent obligation to talk a lot in public. And being Ed, sometimes he is right and sometimes he is wrong; sometimes he is funny, and sometimes he is misinformed and embarrassing.

My personal view is that, as our president, he should be more dignified and should stop bringing negative attention to our club. Does that make me a bad fan for stepping outside the 'side by side' mantra?

I know I'll cop flak about this at work on Monday, and I'll have to trot out all the old defences: Ed doesnt mean offence, its his sense of humour, he's just a knockabout Aussie bloke who loves our club, etc, etc, etc...

I still love him, but I'm getting tired of this.

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
I remember doing a tour back in the day, and I did my morning spiel, I finished off with, it's an early start and some people might be a little hung over, some people really, really hungover, 'we do have some Irish on the bus'. It sort of just flowed. The Irish family on the bus absolutely pissed themselves laughing, they absolutely loved it! I mean, I'm mostly Irish heritage so I knew they'd love it. That's what's really great about the Irish and the Jewish people, if there was an pub olympics for humor they'd be smashing the podiums.

It's great fun mocking the Irish, Kiwis, Poms, and to an extent the Jewish people whilst joking about the holocaust is a big no, they do have as a people great senses of humor. I pity those that have taken offense to this in any way.

I got a nice little tip at the end of it.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed.
define irony

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember doing a tour back in the day, and I did my morning spiel...

It's knowing your audience (sounds like you did)

When your audience trusts you and knows you are coming from a good place you can be bold with your humour

One problem for Ed is that his audience is so big, and many have no basis to trust him based upon past gaffes, that the probability of offence is high

Remove this Banner Ad

Back