Rumour Oh Wayne. You've done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey bro, do me a solid and hang onto this $600k while I wind my company up, will you?

Exactly.

The fact people think Carey would need a loan from his brother is laughable. He's minted and one of the few people from that era of bad boys to maintain their wealth through their offield troubles.

He'd also be on that sort of dough annually with Channel 7, let alone factoring in he was probably the highest paid player in the AFL by around 25% for most of his career.

How could someone like him be short of money? He would have been the highest paid player at the Roos for 10 years and would be on mega bucks with his media commitments.
90s was a different era
Much smaller salary cap
Plus there wasn't much support in players to reinvest their money to set themselves up for post-football back then.

I could very easily understand why someone from back then would be struggling now financially. Those who would've been starting as Carey finished up would've had a whole lot extra support to make the right decisions.

I would actually be in more shock if Daniel Motlop was in this situation than Wayne Carey.

90s was a different era
Much smaller salary cap
Plus there wasn't much support in players to reinvest their money to set themselves up for post-football back then.

I could very easily understand why someone from back then would be struggling now financially. Those who would've been starting as Carey finished up would've had a whole lot extra support to make the right decisions.

I would actually be in more shock if Daniel Motlop was in this situation than Wayne Carey.

True, but Carey's wage back then would still be in the top handful of players today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90s was a different era
Much smaller salary cap

Good post, some very relevant points.

When injury riddled D. Brereton walked out on the Hawks in 1994, his offer to stay was a guaranteed 16 games/season at $3k a match, i.e. $48k, a rather large drop from his previous full contract worth $70k/season - which is about what the Swans paid him after his transfer...

Last edited:
90s was a different era
Much smaller salary cap

You must be living under a rock to think Daniel Motlop isn't doing well for himself life after footy champ

HOME | Something Wild

The Motlop brothers (Daniel, Shannon and Steven) are doing it big with there venture. They have a Green Ant Gin going for $100

Exactly.

The fact people think Carey would need a loan from his brother is laughable. He's minted and one of the few people from that era of bad boys to maintain their wealth through their offield troubles.

He'd also be on that sort of dough annually with Channel 7, let alone factoring in he was probably the highest paid player in the AFL by around 25% for most of his career.

I dunno, maybe people have more insight on this than me, but if Wayne Carey is making in the region of $600,000, then I think Mofra needs to reconsider his bottom 50 and whether football media members can be included. That's seriously worse than any AFL player is being overpaid if it's anywhere near the mark, which I doubt.

How could he possibly command that much? He isn't funny, he isn't insightful, he isn't as committed a troll as Kane Cornes and here's the kicker: he isn't popular or even likeable. Like, isn't the point of giving huge network stars the big $ that they're vital to keeping the audience? He doesn't have much of a leg to stand on, does he? Nobody would lose a wink of sleep if Roughead or Pendlebury took Carey's spot in a couple of years and he was no longer on the coverage.

He, or any of the other boys' club members would be doing well to be on 100k

I dunno, maybe people have more insight on this than me, but if Wayne Carey is making in the region of $600,000, then I think Mofra needs to reconsider his bottom 50 and whether football media members can be included. That's seriously worse than any AFL player is being overpaid if it's anywhere near the mark, which I doubt.

How could he possibly command that much? He isn't funny, he isn't insightful, he isn't as committed a troll as Kane Cornes and here's the kicker: he isn't popular or even likeable. Like, isn't the point of giving huge network stars the big $ that they're vital to keeping the audience? He doesn't have much of a leg to stand on, does he? Nobody would lose a wink of sleep if Roughead or Pendlebury took Carey's spot in a couple of years and he was no longer on the coverage.

That's the thing, the boys' club is paying the boys' club. Highly doubt its 600k but absolutely on more than 100k.

90s was a different era
Much smaller salary cap

True but we are talking the mid to late 90's here. House and land were 600k in a lovely suburb. The Duck was earning 300k per season (not including his licensing rights).
He has always had homes listed on the market over the years. Usually asking upwards of 2-3 million.
He's loaded!

That's the thing, the boys' club is paying the boys' club. Highly doubt its 600k but absolutely on more than 100k.

Maybe, I could be wrong. I just figure that there'd be plenty of AFL legends who could provide everything that Carey does and who are cleanskins and/or likeable and who certainly wouldn't sneeze at $100,000 for what is essentially a part time position. It would seem to be pretty much the definition of a buyer's market to me.

Maybe, I could be wrong. I just figure that there'd be plenty of AFL legends who could provide everything that Carey does and who are cleanskins and/or likeable and who certainly wouldn't sneeze at $100,000 for what is essentially a part time position. It would seem to be pretty much the definition of a buyer's market to me.

Agree, what unique quality does Carey bring than any one of a stack of ex players couldn't?
Apart from probable connections to "colourful racing identities"

Agree, what unique quality does Carey bring than any one of a stack of ex players couldn't?
Apart from probable connections to "colourful racing identities"

He can speak mostly in complete sentences and doesn't lose his train of thought often. Ergo, for a footy player he is quite smart and ex footy players who can speak properly are in high demand.

His Ch 7 salary would be 600k + easily .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back