Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Carey was on $1m a year in the 90s, when apartments in Elwood were $100k.

Schwarz and Marko were on $250k on loss making radio network. Carey would be on $600k easily, plus another $100k or so from MMM.

If Carey is on that much Channel 7 are idiots.

Who will poach him? Maybe Fox Footy, nobody else.

Who tunes in to Seven for Carey alone? Nobody.

There is no viable television market or competition for Carey, so he should be paid commensurately. He can’t go off an commentate other sports, or host a show about pets.

For the prime hosts of a radio show it’s different, it’s very likely a large proportion of the audience tune in because of the host(s).

People tune into TV footy because of the footy as there is only one commentary team and no alternative, on radio where they have genuine choice the commentary team is likely to be the deciding factor.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is astounding...what are Ross's TV commitments? Isnt he only on FC ?

So much for these tv networks is about who has a bigger d.ck. Some networks in the past have signed personalities on huge coin to just prevent rival networks from getting them .

The networks have big budgets and they love to have a “stable of big names” signed to them. So much is about perception and the ability to sell advertising space based on having these “big names” in the stable .

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
So much for these tv networks is about who has a bigger d.ck. Some networks in the past have signed personalities on huge coin to just prevent rival networks from getting them .

The networks have big budgets and they love to have a “stable of big names” signed to them. So much is about perception and the ability to sell advertising space based on having these “big names” in the stable .

OK, I can live with that analysis. For someone like Eddie McGuire. Or, you know BT or Anthony Hudson. Even the likes of Dwayne Russell or James Brayshaw. But Carey hasn't been all that relevant in a football sense for 20 years. If you're 30, you only have the most fleeting memories of him as a champion player.

I suppose he's a big name in the way that Matthew Lloyd, Nathan Buckley, Jarryd Roughead, Brad Johnson, Matthew Richardson, Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt, Cameron Ling, Luke Hodge and literally dozens more are big names. Heading into 2022, I'd be far more interested in the insight of someone who was part of a club's inner sanctum last year like Nathan Jones or David Teague than a dinosaur like Carey. And Carey has spent a fair bit more time in handcuffs and glassing people than all of the above combined, which is probably of interest for advertisers and the audience.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
OK, I can live with that analysis. For someone like Eddie McGuire. Or, you know BT or Anthony Hudson. Even the likes of Dwayne Russell or James Brayshaw. But Carey hasn't been all that relevant in a football sense for 20 years. If you're 30, you only have the most fleeting memories of him as a champion player.

Shows we all see things differently. I'd rather listen to Carey provide special comments than just about every other pundit. Mainly because he actually talks about the game (that alone is refreshing) and doesn't provide the same bland garbage everyone else does.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I suppose he's a big name in the way that Matthew Lloyd, Nathan Buckley, Jarryd Roughead, Brad Johnson, Matthew Richardson, Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt, Cameron Ling, Luke Hodge and literally dozens more are big names. Heading into 2022, I'd be far more interested in the insight of someone who was part of a club's inner sanctum last year like Nathan Jones or David Teague than a dinosaur like Carey. And Carey has spent a fair bit more time in handcuffs and glassing people than all of the above combined, which is probably of interest for advertisers and the audience.

You'd be in the absolute minority wanting to hear from David Teague, and thinking he is more valuable to a TV station that goes off face, name and brand recognition, over Carey.

Not that Carey is particularly insightful or talented, but you must see why Channel 7 would be like oh who do we pay, the guy who most non Bigfooty fans can't pick out of a line up (Teague) or the guy who has been famous for 30 years for footy AND massive scandal reasons. The Stevens affair would have doubled Careys name and face recognition through the women's day type s**t.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd be in the absolute minority wanting to hear from David Teague, and thinking he is more valuable to a TV station that goes off face, name and brand recognition, over Carey.

Not that Carey is particularly insightful or talented, but you must see why Channel 7 would be like oh who do we pay, the guy who most non Bigfooty fans can't pick out of a line up (Teague) or the guy who has been famous for 30 years for footy AND massive scandal reasons. The Stevens affair would have doubled Careys name and face recognition through the women's day type sh*t.

If you can find me some actual proof that Carey earns the kind of money that people here are suggesting, or even evidence of anyone who tunes in to Channel Seven's broadcast because Carey's in the booth, then I'd be quite willing to change my stance. But as it is, a decision on whether to pay Carey 600k, or Teague... let's be extravagant and say a third of that as a special comments man, isn't a decision at all. It's Teague every day of the week. A no holds barred podcast? That might be a different story.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
If you can find me some actual proof that Carey earns the kind of money that people here are suggesting, or even evidence of anyone who tunes in to Channel Seven's broadcast because Carey's in the booth, then I'd be quite willing to change my stance. But as it is, a decision on whether to pay Carey 600k, or Teague... let's be extravagant and say a third of that as a special comments man, isn't a decision at all. It's Teague every day of the week. A no holds barred podcast? That might be a different story.

I seriously doubt any footy fan tunes in because of who the special comments guys are anyway.

Could be just me, but now it's tuning into Geelong games, and hoping the commentary team isn't too appalling depending on who they've got in there. Which means if Taylor or Russell are there it's bad to begin with. You hope and pray you end up with a group that might occasionally pay attention to the game going on and actually call it, and as I said, Carey is one of the very few to me in that boat.

Dec 2, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LOL. No one would remember Teague unless he got sacked.

Dec 2, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So what?

If that's the criteria, why don't we just get Carey doing the play by play and a dream team of Ablett Sr, Doug Hawkins and Plugger providing the special comments?
You're quite strident there in your anti-Carey animosity.

Where has anyone suggested Ablett or Plugger provide commentary? They're hermits.

Carey is an already well-known commentator and probably the best player of the last 30 years. Teague is about as exciting as a baked potato. Do you really think he would attract more ears and eyeballs?

Do you really think someone here has 'evidence' of who precisely tunes in to listen to every commentator? What a ridiculous burden of evidence. If Carey is hired, he must be rating. Billion dollar corporations don't throw money at non-earners.

SAweagle

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The women want him, the men want to be him.

Classic modern day australian celebrity, kicked a ball through sticks really well for a few years and commands adulation, fawning and wealth because of it. Hilarious.

Inb4 the usual salty/jealous accusations.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The women want him, the men want to be him.

Classic modern day australian celebrity, kicked a ball through sticks really well for a few years and commands adulation, fawning and wealth because of it. Hilarious.

Inb4 the usual salty/jealous accusations.

really?

I don’t think the Women have wanted him for 10+ yrs. The men have plenty of better choices too.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You're quite strident there in your anti-Carey animosity.

Where has anyone suggested Ablett or Plugger provide commentary? They're hermits.

Carey is an already well-known commentator and probably the best player of the last 30 years. Teague is about as exciting as a baked potato. Do you really think he would attract more ears and eyeballs?

Do you really think someone here has 'evidence' of who precisely tunes in to listen to every commentator? What a ridiculous burden of evidence. If Carey is hired, he must be rating.
Billion dollar corporations don't throw money at non-earners.

So Carey's commentary excites you?

I think you're misunderstanding my point. Which is, I don't think Carey, or frankly anyone providing special comments (whether I think they're good, bad, or indifferent) on TV rates. I think the game is what draws the viewers. Radio is a bit more cut throat and you have options based on who you'd prefer to listen to.

And so, to follow that point, I think it's ridiculous if Carey is on anywhere near the money that some on here have speculated (and I'd love to see something, anything to suggest those who reckon he's on 600k+ have the slightest clue what they're talking about), when I seriously doubt anyone would actively choose not to tune in (or even notice) if someone of Teague's ilk was in Carey's seat.

So while I don't like Carey, my point isn't really that he's a crap commentator, it's "Why on earth would you have to pay $600,000 to someone to do that job, when there'd probably be plenty of recognisable AFL names who'd happily take this part time job for 100,000ish and wouldn't cost you a single viewer". It's basically calling BS on the figure people on here are guessing that Carey earns.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
People in this thread really underestimate how much people in TV and Radio make.

Those *******s Kyle and Jackie O are contracted for $5m a year, each, for a radio show.

They're not my cup of tea, but they carry that broadcast. People tune in because it's Kyle and Jackie O and if they were sacked, it's likely that the audience would drastically change (especially when they inevitably resurfaced on a different station). The raw numbers may stay similar, but lots of listeners would leave and follow them to whichever station they went to next and others would come on board for whoever else took over the spot on KIIS from them.

In contrast, people don't tune in to a Channel Seven AFL broadcast because Wayne Carey's commentating and most probably don't even realise he's going to be on until they first hear him speak (i.e. once they've already tuned in). That's my contention.

webbo_83

Senior List
May 29, 2006
Neerim South
AFL Club
Richmond
On the contrary, people are kidding themselves about how much bit players (I.e. the guys are aren't the hosts) earn on TV and radio. The comparison to Kyle and Jackie, or Hamish and Andy, or even Ox and Marko, is absolute folly because the advertisers who are associated with those shows are there for that very reason. Quite famously, Kyle and Jackie basically lifted their whole audience from Fox to KIIS when they defected a few years ago. The Channel 7 or Triple M sales guys would hardly have Duck leading their advertising strategy, and if he's on more than $150k then I'd be shocked. If any of those blokes were on the dollars that some of you are suggesting, then they wouldn't all be whoring themselves across every medium possible. By themselves, none of paper/radio/TV pay enough.

In 2020, when Hodgey got to be the boundary/special comments guy on Channel 7 for about 20x more games than he expected, he earned less than he'd earned since 2004. He tops that up with a couple of hundred grand doing events (Duck probably even more because he isn't constrained by four kids during the week - or, at least, four kids that he takes responsibility for the care of), but he's still way off earning what he did as a gun player.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the contrary, people are kidding themselves about how much bit players (I.e. the guys are aren't the hosts) earn on TV and radio. The comparison to Kyle and Jackie, or Hamish and Andy, or even Ox and Marko, is absolute folly because the advertisers who are associated with those shows are there for that very reason. Quite famously, Kyle and Jackie basically lifted their whole audience from Fox to KIIS when they defected a few years ago. The Channel 7 or Triple M sales guys would hardly have Duck leading their advertising strategy, and if he's on more than $150k then I'd be shocked. If any of those blokes were on the dollars that some of you are suggesting, then they wouldn't all be whoring themselves across every medium possible. By themselves, none of paper/radio/TV pay enough.

In 2020, when Hodgey got to be the boundary/special comments guy on Channel 7 for about 20x more games than he expected, he earned less than he'd earned since 2004. He tops that up with a couple of hundred grand doing events (Duck probably even more because he isn't constrained by four kids during the week - or, at least, four kids that he takes responsibility for the care of), but he's still way off earning what he did as a gun player.

You have completely missed Fox vs 7 in the above.

There is a competitive market for these guys. Especially with Fox, as they generally tie them into a whole heap of other programming.

Carey does the other 7 footy show also.

$150k is laughable. There’s a reason why those that have the profile to go in the media don’t go into coaching, even as head coaches.

Back