News - Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30) | Page 29 | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Discussion in 'Brisbane Lions' started by Scubaveg, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Boourns1

Boourns1 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    Not sure why people are so keen on trading pick 5 IF Neale falls through this year....would much rather keep and take one of the top players that pretty much every reputable source has said are substantially better than the rest of the draft.

CarterS and Gadzorks like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. jason pm

jason pm Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Fortitude Valley Diehards
    I'm sure the communication lines are well and truly open between us Lachie and his manager.

1- We would know exactly what Lachie has been saying to Bell/Rosich and how strong his language was re his willingness to stay at the Dockers.
    2- We would have told Lachie and his manager the ball park draft selections we are willing to part with for him.
    3- We would know if he would play another season at the Dockers and then still be agreeable to a FA move to us.

BangyBangy likes this.
  3. Gadzorks

Gadzorks Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Imagine another kid the caliber of raynor.

MICKYCONLAN likes this.
  4. BangyBangy

BangyBangy Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    He came in like a wrecking baaaaalllllll......

[​IMG]

5. Boourns1

Boourns1 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    Precisely.

6. Gadzorks

Brisbane Lions
    Hahaha love it love it love it

7. xplo

xplo Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    We all would be, but we'll be fine. I feel sorry for Lachie though. Can't see how he can go back and play for a year after this circus. A year out of footy would be tough.

8. WhiteLionFeva

WhiteLionFeva Premium Gold

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Mt Gravatt, MHSOB, FFC, CGS
    Another 18 year old, if we make the right choice and they stay, will take two to three years plus, that is the issue. Neale is a sure thing and is already there.

CarterS likes this.
  9. Gadzorks

Brisbane Lions
    Well, he’ll have a ringside seat and get a lot of what not to do stories to entertain our boys with in 12 months time.

10. trikster

trikster All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Well there was never anything wrong with plan A in the first place :)

jason pm likes this.
  11. TheBrownDog

TheBrownDog Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
    Remember when we split a pick and ended up with McCluggage and Berry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Football Pope

Football Pope Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Australian International Sides
    "Bell's Buffoonery"

Clarkythelion and Gadzorks like this.
  13. jackess

jackess Hall of Famer

Brisbane Lions
    A mix of not going players likely to request trades home, key forwards we don’t need and rating certain players differently to other clubs might mean we can draft the player we want at pick 5 with a pick later in the first round and improve our overall drafting position.

ImAFreeMan, Fairley, Requiem and 2 others like this.
  14. Scubaveg

Scubaveg Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    And when beams walks out we have gone backwards. We still need to make this work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kenberger and CarterS like this.
  15. CarterS

CarterS Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    Would definitely be a bad result if we lost beams, don’t get Neale, even if we did get a great rookie or 2, IMO.

16. Boourns1

Boourns1 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    I do, I do. However, 2 to 3 is vastly different to 5 to 8 when there is a consensus top 7 prospects (not including Blakey)

Scubaveg likes this.
  17. BangyBangy

BangyBangy Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Lol. You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime & we've had ours. Not saying we screwed anyone over, but boy, the stars did align for us.

dlanod likes this.
  18. TheBrownDog

TheBrownDog Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
    Hehe, I don’t think it will be a total random rolling of the dice if we decide to do another pick swap though.

I think it will be based on Noble and Conole taking a deep, educated look at that first round, seeing who they like and where they expect them to go.

If they think they can get two players they really, really like who are a good fit for us, they should go for it.

If they rate the top 5 as far above the test as some others do, they wouldn’t be looking at splitting the pick.

ImAFreeMan, Fairley and Requiem like this.
  19. BangyBangy

BangyBangy Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Absolutely agree whatever we do won't be a random guess. I'm with you, have a lot of faith with the team at the helm right now. Have seen nothing over the last couple of years that has been less than impressive. Just saying that the year we managed to snag the player we would've taken at 1 if we had the pick & the pick to get Berry, we had some very good fortune. I'll take it again, but I'm not expecting it.

20. Jivlain

Jivlain Pollyanna's statistician

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Swansea City
  21. Football Pope

Football Pope Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Australian International Sides
    The draft order will change throughout the night as clubs matching bids will move up to the selection where the bid was placed. Splitting will put us in a good position to make other clubs ( Freo) 'pay' for highly rated players as multiple picks can be used to accrue enough points, which will also affect the draft order on the night.. The selections that clubs start the night with will not be the same as those they will have made at the end of the draft

22. buttermuffs

buttermuffs Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    No! I have a #11 Cian Hanley guernsey that I was gifted last year that is readily for him!

trikster and yadayadayada like this.
  23. bungalow_bill

bungalow_bill Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Would do it if Port want to pre-empt Adelaide and move from 6 to 5. So 5 for 6/pick in the teens. Otherwise keep pick 5 and hope Smith is there

Boourns1 likes this.
  24. Fatcat08

Fatcat08 Cool and Footbally

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool
    Geez that main board thread is a complete cesspool of idiotic repeated positions on each side. Seriously do the lions fans posting over there think that Freo owe us anything in these negotiations. Are they not just doing the same sort of thing many have bleated about wanting our club to do in trades in the last for players leaving us?

On the other hand I do think Freo could have handled this better from a public perception POV. Despite what fans say players and managers do take note of how clubs treat players both coming and leaving, and when decisions have to be made in the future, how these things are perceived can come back to bite you, whether they are accurate or not.

As for Neale, in the FA era has there been a case of a club holding a player who wants out to his contract. I'm struggling to think of one. Culture within a footy club can be a hard thing to get right and you can't help but wonder what affect having a player in your club who is bitter at the club and doesn't want to be there has on the group. They can be the best professional, but it only takes some frustration to come out in conversations away from the football club to start other players questioning how the club would treat them in an adverse situation.

Personally I don't see too much wrong in freos actual position but I do think how they've handled it message and timing wise is a bit misguided looking for forward

ImAFreeMan, Zhesty, briztoon and 3 others like this.
  25. Tom14

Tom14 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    See I never want our club to act with such histrionics and I’m glad we have a more mature approach. It’s obviously easier now as we aren’t losing draftees immediately but it’s pretty amateur unprofessional stuff.

Having said all of that the way Freo are acting is also incredibly funny so all power to them.