News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Remove this Banner Ad

He may well have asked internally for a trade, but he's contracted. If we don't come to the table with something Freo likes, they can make him see that contract out - and to be honest, I wouldn't mind throwing the idea on the back-burner for 12 months and see if we can land him for sweet FA next year rather than pay through the nose now. We won't be making finals next year with or without Neale, it's 2020 when we'd really begin to see that as a real possibility.

He may well have asked internally for a trade, but he's contracted. If we don't come to the table with something Freo likes, they can make him see that contract out - and to be honest, I wouldn't mind throwing the idea on the back-burner for 12 months and see if we can land him for sweet FA next year rather than pay through the nose now. We won't be making finals next year with or without Neale, it's 2020 when we'd really begin to see that as a real possibility.
Never say never, Sausages!

The notion of waiting a year is a silly one. If you want a player and they want to come to your club you do everything within your power to get the deal done.

Agreed, up to a point. And that argument goes both ways - if he's contracted but REALLY wants to play here, waiting 12 months isn't the end of the world. I just don't think we should even be entertaining the notion of more than our first pick - Freo has the difficulty to find ways to get Lobb and possibly Hogan in, give them pick 5, that's our best and be done with it. If they say no to that, then they are also likely watching one or both of those guys not wearing purple next year.

The notion of waiting a year is a silly one. If you want a player and they want to come to your club you do everything within your power to get the deal done.

Yep absolutely. Same for Freo with the Hogan & Lobb trades. A spanner or sorts will be thrown into the mix for us if Hogan comes out & says he's happy staying at Melbourne mind you. But that is out of our hands.

All this posturing by certain clubs is so bloody lame. Amateur hour stuff. I like the way we go about it & also GWS for that matter. Came out today & said that Lobb & Setterfield were looking to move to other clubs, we will work with the other clubs to come up with a suitable trade, but if a suitable trade can't be made they will see out their contracts. Badda Bing Badda Boom.

No stress from me, we win either way.

Pick 5 will net us a top prospect in a good draft, or we get Lachie Neale to help us push towards the 8 a little bit sooner.

Freo on the other hand have a bigger decision, if they hold Neale to his contract, does he demand to go again next year and we get him for nothing? I doubt they'd be willing to match what we'll be offering next year, especially if he isn't interested in staying.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the fact we don't have 4-5 players looking to go home and that the club has grown significantly under Nobes, Fages & Swan.

What I find hilarious is the BS posturing and spin that comes from the clubs on the mistaken belief that they need to be seen from their own club's supporters that they're not backing down as some kind of hard arse.

IMO, most logical supporters with half a brain see right through it that it makes the person making the comments look like a twat.

Honestly, I don't know who Rosich from Freo thinks he is kidding, but I guess whatever helps him sleep at night. Yawn...

Negotiation 101, he who screams shouts and bangs the table appears to look strong. In reality mostly weak.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if Neale might have a late change of heart if the Dockers can land Hogan + Lobb. All of a sudden they look like a decent team if they do... great youth as well.

You're saying we might become the new N.O.R.F ?

Not getting one of our trade targets would be a new experience in recent times (you know we never really wanted that guy from Napoleon Dynamite anyway), but I'd get over the disappointment.

We'd still have pick 5 & 23. :D

sorry for the intrusion, in a mystical world where a player comes back from Brisbane to Freo in a Neale trade, who on the fringe for you guys would be a possiblities.

Rich/Starcevich are obviously dreams, but is someone ie Cedric Cox a possibility

personally would prefer pick 4 and 22, get the lobb deal done with 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry for the intrusion, in a mystical world where a player comes back from Brisbane to Freo in a Neale trade, who on the fringe for you guys would be a possiblities.

Rich/Starcevich are obviously dreams, but is someone ie Cedric Cox a possibility

Would do 5 + Cox in a heartbeat.

Dodongo thinks he won't. We are not #lolnorf

The deal will be 5 and something Dodongo suspects. Like everyone else Dodongo can't see it being jusy pick 5. The club will focus on trying to gain other picks. Maybe try and convert 23 into two other picks and offer 5 and our next highest one. In the meantime the club will look to have interim deals in place to gain/exchange draft picks after this one goes through.

Reckon it would be hard to find a player that we would be happy to give or is actually worth it.

Realistically for you guys, you hold him another 12 months and he walks as a FA and you pretty much still end up with pick 5. So anything above that this year is extra. Reckon pick 5 will be 90% of the deal, there will be some pick swapping or something else to maybe help you guys secure Hogan and Lobb. Ultimately if that lil bit extra helps you get those players this year then it is worth letting him go.

Does sound like the Freo admin need to take their heads out of the sand. We know you would rather keep him, but that seems unlikely. Clubs have a tendency when losing a player they want to keep, to somehow profit from it and 'win' the trade rather then just find an equal outcome.

Lots of moving pieces, Neale, Hogan, May, Lobb, they are all seperate, but also kinda linked. Think this will drag out to late in trade period.

Dodongo can't believe some people are starting to buy into what Bell says. They know he is gone. They are just posturing to their supporters that they are doing everything they can to keep him and it is working because some of our blokes are starting to be worried when there is no need to be. Dodongo gives credit to Fremantle for this PR spin

Maybe a bit more to it Dodongo....I'm hearing that Hogan's right foot stress fracture in the navicular bone is a lot worse than being stated... his foot may require more extensive treatment which means longer recovery time...we'll know in a couple of days if suddenly Freo turn their attention to Tim Kelly...

He's arguably our most talented skill wise, but I could show you half a dozen moments he squibbed a contest if I had the time. Reason why he doesn't play AFL footy yet.

I'd have Neale > Cox and I'm sure everyone else would too. It won't happen but Pick 5 + Cox allows us a lot more freedom in terms of trading if we had a 2nd rounder. Could flick that on for Adams + something back our way for example.

Personally happy for pick 5 + Rich

Remove this Banner Ad

Back