News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just stoked we added Lachie and still have Beams. No pressure to trade him now. If Pies don’t come with two first we keep him.

Beams, Neale, Zorko, Clugga, Berry, Rayner, now that’s starting to be some midfield!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tip- Beams will spend more time in the forward line or wing with the new setup.

Always assuming we keep him.

McClure has some inside details on how it went down: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lions-landed-star-docker-20181017-p50a8i.html

Fremantle were stunned when reports emerged last month that Lachie Neale was being courted heavily by the Brisbane Lions.

The Dockers were even more surprised when Neale walked into the office of CEO Steve Rosich and told them of his desire to get to the Lions.

They shouldn’t have been.

Their first pick in the draft later that year – pick three – was then traded to land Cam McCarthy.

While they were still able to draft local Swan Districts product Griffin Logue (13 games) with pick eight, pick three ended up with Brisbane, who took Hugh McCluggage.

McCluggage has played 40 out of 44 games since being drafted, averaging 18 disposals.

It was midway through 2018 that several people – both staff and players – at Fremantle began to worry about Neale’s morale.

Neale had lost faith in the direction Fremantle were going. Not longer after that, David Noble and his team of Lions went to work.

By the time Neale and Fremantle finished their 2018 campaign – a 133-point drubbing at Geelong and a narrow nine-point loss at home to Collingwood – Neale’s mind was all but made up.

His fiancee, Julie, who had spent most of her short working life building a salon business in Perth, had agreed to put it up for sale and begin a new life in Queensland.

Neale had also decided to leave Fremantle for Brisbane, not to “go home” to his home state of South Australia.

I'm really sceptical when Melbourne based journalists give a whack to clubs in places far away, like the Dockers. Particularly McClure, who strikes me as an opportunist and a lightweight.

It's much easier to be tough when the people who'll get upset are on the other side of the country, and not reading your paper. My suspicion is he'd be more circumspect if he had the same info about a Victorian club.

I'm really sceptical when Melbourne based journalists give a whack to clubs in places far away, like the Dockers. Particularly McClure, who strikes me as an opportunist and a lightweight.

It's much easier to be tough when the people who'll get upset are on the other side of the country, and not reading your paper. My suspicion is he'd be more circumspect if he had the same info about a Victorian club.

Yeah it's a bit interesting that there is a discussion about shoddy list management at Freo in the article which is ostensibly about Neale. Completely coincidentally Brad Lloyd is now head of footy at Carlton :think::think::think:

Yeah, it's full of a whole bunch of micro-allegations that aren't individually worthy of Freo refuting them, so he gets to just paint a narrative and not get called on it.

Hammo wrote like this for years before the club (under Steele Tallon) rebuilt the relationship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, so in real simplistic terms, we paid pick 6 and 47 for Neale?

If so, I can live with that and not be disappointed.

Mate, I just about teared up reading this post I was so happy for you.

Correct, so in real simplistic terms, we paid pick 6 and 47 for Neale?

If so, I can live with that and not be disappointed.

Yep, that's a fair summary if I used the calculator thing right.

The glass half empty in me feels like we sold the farm, a la Fev, and pandered to Freo. We now don't have a 1st round draft pick 2018/2019.. I trust Nobles and team.. maybe they don't see the depth in next years draft or that we've got enough academy players coming through. Plus Berry/Cluggers still young so would take a permanent spot so no need to draft more. Who knows.

The more positive side of me is very stoked that we got him.

The glass half empty in me feels like we sold the farm, a la Fev, and pandered to Freo. We now don't have a 1st round draft pick 2018/2019.. I trust Nobles and team.. maybe they don't see the depth in next years draft or that we've got enough academy players coming through. Plus Berry/Cluggers still young so would take a permanent spot so no need to draft more. Who knows.

The more positive side of me is very stoked that we got him.

It's actually pretty amazing we've sent a first and a second to Freo for Neale and a later second. Last week there was talk of sending our 2018 and 2019 first rounders to Freo.

What we've ended up with is a legitimately fair trade that both clubs can be very happy with.

It's actually pretty amazing we've sent a first and a second to Freo for Neale and a later second. Last week there was talk of sending our 2018 and 2019 first rounders to Freo.

What we've ended up with is a legitimately fair trade that both clubs can be very happy with.
I think so too, particularly when the sum total of the trade was Neale and pick 47, which I think is pretty fair all round.

Also how the hell did we get pick 35 and a freo's future third for Mayes lmao - downgrading pick 5 by one spot didn't matter at all for us because it's ended up at GC.

I like Sam but I was not expecting that level of compensation when this period started

Remove this Banner Ad

Back