News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Remove this Banner Ad

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I’m just stoked we added Lachie and still have Beams. No pressure to trade him now. If Pies don’t come with two first we keep him.

Beams, Neale, Zorko, Clugga, Berry, Rayner, now that’s starting to be some midfield!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last year Cameron .. now Neale. Quality. Think of all those wasted 1st rounders down thru' the decades. That's you Des .. Damian .. Jason .. Jared .. Mitch .. Billy .. James .. Josh et al

Bjorn Again

Senior List
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The glass half empty in me feels like we sold the farm, a la Fev, and pandered to Freo. We now don't have a 1st round draft pick 2018/2019.. I trust Nobles and team.. maybe they don't see the depth in next years draft or that we've got enough academy players coming through. Plus Berry/Cluggers still young so would take a permanent spot so no need to draft more. Who knows.

The more positive side of me is very stoked that we got him.

You know that depth in a draft means that recruiters think potentially good players extend way down into later rounds right?
So by trading away early picks the recruiting team DO see depth next year and are backing their ability to find these players.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You know that depth in a draft means that recruiters think potentially good players extend way down into later rounds right?
So by trading away early picks the recruiting team DO see depth next year and are backing their ability to find these players.
The Hawks done really good at this so to the Swans and the Cats
I agree picks under mid 40's worth something.. Although 18 be nice instead of 30

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am seeing on the draft and trading board people saying Freo got more for Neale than they payed for Hogan but I can’t see how this can be true, can anyone smarter than me break these two trades down individually? TIA.

Points wise because we got 30 back we actually lost less points to get Neale than Hogan. Very little though.

I am seeing on the draft and trading board people saying Freo got more for Neale than they payed for Hogan but I can’t see how this can be true, can anyone smarter than me break these two trades down individually? TIA.

So we gave THEM Pick 6 and Pick 19 and Pick 55

They gave us Lachie, a future Second and Third round selection*Tied to Hawks

They gave Melbourne Pick 6 and Pick 23 for Jesse and a Fourth Round (65)

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Points wise because we got 30 back we actually lost less points to get Neale than Hogan. Very little though.

Yeah thought this was the case. Saw it mentioned that our pick downgrade from 19-30 was the equivalent of pick 47.

So Neale for pick 6, 47 and 55 in the end once all the pick upgrades are taken into consideration, unless I am summarising it wrong.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Are you referring to the Gold Coast trade? We gave 6, and 55 for Neale and 30.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Are you referring to the Gold Coast trade? We gave 6, 19 and 55 for Neale and 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
lachies a gun the trades a win for both clubs because we secured Hogan
also their were games this year where our entire midfield apart from lachie were under 21
the fact he was able to best midfielder shows you how good he is

cahaba

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Love Fages, and can't wait to see Lachie running around in the maroon, blue and gold. Hopefully he can take Beam's mantle and help continue the development of our young guns.

Edit: Also think he's very possibly going to be our BnF next season.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
This trade was bittersweet for most of us Freo fans.

We lost a great player in Neale but have at long last gained the 'chosen one' in Hogan, as well as a pretty handy forward/ruck in Lobb. In the contexts of our lists, I think this was a great move for both clubs as Neale will step seamlessly straight into the void left by Beams, and we have finished setting up our spine for the next 5-10 years.

The best qualities about Lachie are that he's ultra consistent and highly durable. He's not the flashiest player but he knows how to kick a goal, and he has a knack for bringing his team mates into the game. He's also a fantastic leader and seems to be very level-headed.

I wish him all the best. Make sure that you all look after him, but don't let him get to 100 games. We want full drafting rights to his kids!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back